Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Competition with Prizes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Competition with Prizes Reply with quote

As some of you know, Worth and I always said that the "Arranger Secrets" project was not for profit, and any surplus cash would be used to benefit owners of the Pa series keyboards. The following competition will be funded by some "profits" from the project. Here are details:

The Arranger Secrets Pa800 format Style Competition

The Pa800 style format is used on the Pa800, Pa2x, Pa500 and Pa588. Starting with any one of the factory styles do the following:

Post a reply here saying which factory style you would like to "improve". Try to avoid duplicates although this is not against the rules if you really want to compete with someone else who has already chosen a style you really want to improve.

Make the best improvements to the style that you can, while preserving the characteristics of the original style. Here are some suggestions:
    a) For chord tracks, change the note transposition rules to use the new "Fixed NTT".
    b) For guitar tracks use one of the new "RX guitar" sounds, and use GTR mode.
    c) Improve the bass lines to sound more "humanised".
    d) Improve the EFX characteristics.
    e) Anything else you want to do, but you MUST use factory sounds, no user sounds will be allowed.
Send me by email (button below) the "improved" Style as a .SET file just containing that one style, nothing else.

Then, you can post another message on this thread and enter again with a different style. You can enter as many times as you want providing you only work on one style at a time, and you must send me the finished style before you enter again.

The competition will end on 30th November 2008. I will then compile all the styles into a single .SET file that will autoload the styles into the User banks on the Pa800 or Pa2x or Pa500 or Pa588 keyboards. I will publish the .SET file on December 1st 2008 and will invite forum members to "vote" for the three Styles that you judge have been "improved" the most compared with the original factory style. Everyone on the forum can have three votes.

On December 31st voting will finish, and I will compile a table of the styles and authors that were voted for.
    The person with the highest number of total votes (all styles entered) will receive a prize of 200 Euros
    The author of the style with the highest number of votes will receive a prize of 150 Euros
    The author of the style with the next highest number of votes will receive a prize of 100 Euros
    The author of the style with the third highest number of votes will receive a prize of 50 Euros
Have fun, enjoy the competition, and enter as many times as you like!
Lika
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob.

Which kind of Style do you want ?
I don't want win , can just show/share my own styles ( those ones which I don't use for do my job Laughing Laughing Laughing )
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lika wrote:
Hi Rob. Which kind of Style do you want ? I don't want win , can just show/share my own styles ( those ones which I don't use for do my job Laughing Laughing Laughing )
Hi Lika,

These have to be "improvements" to standard factory styles, not "new" styles. You can pick any factory style that you've already "perfected" and enter it as your first entry, then pick another etc. Whereas you may not want to win, think of the fame and fortune that will follow if you do win Smile If this competition goes well, then we might do another one next year to develop the best style for a number of popular songs in different genres and cultures.
Lee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... What a super idea that benifits us all.

Thanks so much... I'll find one.

Lee
keyboard
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob !!!

Good Job..."Korg Forums", are very fortunate to have you as an active user...You bring a freshness that is not matched by any other Forum that I know of.

You are imaginative, knowledgeable, and have great vision... Kudos to you......
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Competition with Prizes Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
great idea.

So basically what is proposed is tweaking an existing style?
We can change sounds, but I gather we don't change notes or cut down the number of bars, stuff that actually alters the original??

Only reason I ask is, using "Guitar Mode" would actually alter a guitar track, wouldn't just be a case of changing a sound. The notes are different in guitar mode to an ordinary guitar track.

Are you planning on putting together a few guidelines as to what is allowedable.

best wishes
Rikki

p.s.
I put together a couple of BIAB styles for PA800
http://www.arrangerworld.com/dl.asp?cmd=2&cid=9&sid=32
debating whether they're worth the hassle, unless there's no other style to suit.

[quote="Rob Sherratt"]
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Competition with Prizes Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:
So basically what is proposed is tweaking an existing style? We can change sounds, but I gather we don't change notes or cut down the number of bars, stuff that actually alters the original?? Only reason I ask is, using "Guitar Mode" would actually alter a guitar track, wouldn't just be a case of changing a sound. The notes are different in guitar mode to an ordinary guitar track
Hi Rikki,

Make the best improvements to the style that you can, while preserving the characteristics of the original style. By this I mean that a style that started out as 50's Rhythm and Blues must remain as 50's Rhythm and Blues and not morph into 70's heavy rock. Here are some suggestions:

a) For chord tracks, change the note transposition rules to use the new "Fixed NTT", change notes/ chords as appropriate.
b) For guitar tracks use one of the new "RX guitar" sounds, and use GTR mode, change notes/ chords, strum effects etc as appropriate.
c) Improve the bass lines to sound more "humanised", change notes, sounds etc as appropriate.
d) Improve the EFX characteristics as appropriate.
e) Anything else you want to do, but you MUST use factory sounds, no user sounds will be allowed.
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional rule/ condition:

The prize money will be made available as follows:

If there are only up to 10 styles submitted, there will only be a single prize of 150 Euros
If more than 30 styles are submitted, the prizes of 150, 100 and 50 Euros will be available
If more than 50 styles are submitted, then the top prize of 200 Euros will also be available
foxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
The whole Arranger Secrets team is to be applauded for the DVD project and the competition is evidence of your continuing commitment. Very Happy
However, a sizeable proportion of proceeds must have been from sales to Pa1X and Pa1Xpro users. Is there any way that we might benefit? Sad
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxy wrote:
Hi Rob, The whole Arranger Secrets team is to be applauded for the DVD project and the competition is evidence of your continuing commitment. Very Happy However, a sizeable proportion of proceeds must have been from sales to Pa1X and Pa1Xpro users. Is there any way that we might benefit? Sad
Hi Foxy,

Fair comment and I'm open to suggestions so long as there is enough interest and participation. Even on this Pa800/Pa2x section there has not been one entrant yet and the post is getting old already Smile
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

surprising there hasn't been more interest shown.
I've only got one or two styles that started off as a factory style, but I've replaced guitar & bass tracks on one and also changed an intro & ending, don't know if that would still qualify for what you're after.

Rob Sherratt wrote:

Fair comment and I'm open to suggestions so long as there is enough interest and participation. Even on this Pa800/Pa2x section there has not been one entrant yet and the post is getting old already Smile

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rikki,

That would qualify, just post the names of the factory styles here ...
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
I altered the Beguine style PA800.

best wishes
Rikki

Rob Sherratt wrote:
Hi Rikki,

That would qualify, just post the names of the factory styles here ...

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rikki,

Thanks a lot - you are so far the first and only entrant! But don't forget you can enter as many times as you want to make sure there are at least 10 entries Smile
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want 200 Euros too...please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: