Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sampling Tutorial - Vocal Effects ( Triton )

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Sampling Tutorial - Vocal Effects ( Triton ) Reply with quote

Sampling Vocals and adding that edge.

Hi Guys.
Here’s a nice sampling tutorial for you.
This involves re-sampling, as will any and all tutorials I upload. So, you’ll need to make the best of what you have to accomplish this trick. I’m writing this tutorial from the view of Triton Classic and Triton Studio owners. This is simply to include the new workstation in tutorials and give this thread a long life of use.

TC= Triton Classic
TS=Triton Studio
Just so there is no confusion

This is a very commercial trick and you will have heard this many times on the radio. You can also download this demo that I just created as an example.

http://www.irishacts.com/support/tutorials/world-of-sound.mp3

1: What we need is for you to sample your Vocals into your Triton. So off you go…sample yourself singing a sentence.

2: Once you have that done, convert it into a multi sound and then a program. Triton Studio owners, just skip this part.

3: You now need to add your effects, add whatever you want but make sure one of them is smooth hall reverb, and lots of it. Triton Studio owners, you can do this from the sample section. In the demo, I went for a simply reverb, so you should be able get some really great results by using more extreme effects.

4: TC owners, use your PC to re-sample your Program sound, make sure you record the full sentence, and the effects as they fade away. TS owners, just use the re-sampling feature.

5: TC owners, save your recording to disk and load it back into your Triton. TS users select your re-sampled sound.

6: Using the menus, please reverse your sample.

7: Now it gets a little tricky. As you know, your sample is now playing backwards with a reverb sampled into it. You have to now find start point of where the speech is in the sample. Which finny enough will be the last word you said, and is now the first word in the sample. Please look at the following photo. I’m pointing to the location of the last word in the sample I’m using for this demo.

Everything before the pointer is the reverb, everything after the pointer is my sentence.

8: We now need to use the reverse feature again, but this time we are only going to reverse the sentence, so using the photo as a guide, please select all the sentence and reverse it. (reversing it will actually put the sentence the back the right way.

9: Excellent, you now nearly finished. If you play the sample back, you will hear a haunting reversed reverb using your voice fading up to your sentence that it also running with the effects of the reverb that we re-sampled. What we now need to do is smooth out that change where the fading in reverse sample changes to the sentence. So again, we need to resample the sample.

10: TC users, please convert your new sample into a multi sample. TS users, skip this part.

11: TC users please add only reverb to your sample. TS users please do the same from the sampling mode.

12: TC users, resample the program completely into your PC, save it to disk, and load it back into the Triton as a new sample. TS users just resample the sound with the reverb.

13: OK..we should have both TC and TS users back to the sample points. If you look at your sample, you should now be able to see and hear now the reverb effect we just re-sampled into the sample, can take away that step, and allow the sample to fade away with out a sharp cut-off. Here’s another example, as you can see from the photo, everything worked perfectly.

14 Your finished. Just convert your new sample into a multi sample and them to a program. You can now use your sample is a song.

Hope you like it. And remember, you only get back what you put in.

Regards.
Sharp

nevasleep

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

Very nice!And very helpful thanks alot Sharp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

Thats a very effective trick, and a very familiar sound. Good to know how its done Smile

Ta,

Daz.
Marathonman

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

I can't wait to get home and try this out!
Thanks Sharp.

Smile

Jim
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

You should try creating an Analog String Multi sound from the same idea. Enigma uses them all the time, that they can sound very dreamy.
dzm

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

That's gift man,

I really like that and could use it quite a lot.

Excellent.  Smile

dzm
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.

I can get some sound out of this too.  ;D

VirgoTragic

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

All I can say is WOW! Thanks! :-*
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

Great tutorial,

Ain't technology great, I use to turn over 6 track tapes to record backwards reverb for lead guitar!!!

Any plans to keep all these tips & tricks on a server?    

Chordial

puniho

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

I tryed this, and it works, but then I tryed it another, and I think, more effective and simpler way. I took the sample and reversed it before resampling it with the reverb. Then I simply reversed it again and loaded it back into the Triton. This way the pre-reverb effect is nice and smooth all the way thru the sample, rather than just at the beginning.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sampling Tutorial ( Vocal Effects ) Reply with quote

Cool..That would work perfectly to.
It would give you a different sound, but it does work.

Excellent. It’s great to hear that your experimenting with the idea’s anyway. As I always say, the only limitations are your imagination. Keep up the great work.

Regards.
Sharp.
Wink
Troy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading these, but can't see the pictures. Is it just me or are the links old?

Troy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Classic Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: