Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroKorg etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redballoonforme

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: MicroKorg etc Reply with quote

Hi,

New to the world of Synths. I play keyboards in a band and want to add a bit more of a wide range of sound to our songs, which the microkorg is doing. my keyboard doesnt have a decent 'electric piano' sound. I'm after a 'fender rhodes'/'wurlitzer' sound aka the charlatans and inparticular from 'Broken Stones' by Paul Weller.....my question to you lot is.....

Are there keyboards on the market that can produce the sound I want.
Is the microkorg capable of importing this sound?
if so, how do i do it?

Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Redballoonforme
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Yoozer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to take a look here Wink

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=18

Anyway, to answer your questions:

Quote:
Are there keyboards on the market that can produce the sound I want.

Yes. Choice depends on your budget. A popular choice is the Nord Electro. If you want to stick to Korg, pretty much any sample-based machine after 1995 will have a passable Rhodes and Wurly sound (Korg names the presets differently, probably to avoid all kinds of trademark issues - so they're usually called "Rhoads" and "Whirly" or some variation of that in the patch lists Wink ). I really liked the N5's Rhodes, and my TR-rack has some good ones too - although they sound rather polished.

http://www.synthmania.com/ms2000.htm contains a Rhodes and a Wurlitzer-like preset (see the list for the descriptions - C08 Vintage Ep and E08 Reed Piano) - if (and that's a big if) you can import MS2000 patches in the MicroKorg (or at least copy the settings), and these sound acceptable to you, your problem's solved without buying anything new. They're just factory patches so they shouldn't be hard to find.

However, since the polyphony is rather low (more suited for bass and lead sounds), you might want to look at something else anyway; can't play sustaining chords otherwise.

Quote:
Is the microkorg capable of importing this sound?

In general, my guess would be "nope".

Importing sounds from one synth to another is almost always not possible, unless the synthesizers are very much comparable in structure (Yamaha FM synths came in several variations on the same "engine", and they can share patches). Even two nearly equal synths - the Alesis Micron and Ion - need some way to convert the patches.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Yoozer on Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
redballoonforme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, just the job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: