Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

esx 1 q

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenoumena

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: esx 1 q Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm looking to get the esx 1 and I had a couple questions about it.
I'm very much into putting in samples.
I was wondering if anyone knew how long a sample can be? I'm new at sampler sequencers and but this one seems perfect for me. I want to experiment. Like could I put in a (for example) 5 different samples, beatles sgt. pepper style like they use with the meletrone, and play them all?
I read about a certain roland sampler/sequencer that jammed up if the sample was too long.

I appreciate any help and thanks in advance.
aafanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: I have two of these. Reply with quote

I Have two of these. I love them. The total sample time is 285 seconds mono. That's 4 3/4 minutes! I just did a minute and a 1/2 sample and looped it without any problems. I used it both as a drum part(One shot) and as a keyboard part ( 1 note of polyphony over the pitched keyboard range) There are two (Mono) keyboard parts and nine drum parts and two stretch parts. I think I own the Roland sampler that you're talking about (SP-404) and I am not satisfied with it. I am not sure from your post what your question is, but I hope that I've answered it.
The reason that I have two of these is that I like to do a lot of sampling and I find that samples fall into two general categories: Vocal & instrumental. The two different types of samples usually require different effects. The ESX-1 has three effects that can be chained or used separately
If you find yourself running out of effects you can re-sample a sound through the effects a free those effects up for other sounds.
thenoumena

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, sorry my post was pretty run together.

you helped me a lot. What does one shot actually mean? Is that you can only have a 1 second of time for that sample?
I'm wondering if I can play; for example: 5 samples each around 10 seconds long.

It seems like a beautiful machine. Although, some people are telling me the sequencer isn't so great...
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to be using vocals or something... or long synth loops or drum loops, no it won't happen... perhaps a few drum loops to mangle with the slice but other then that, you're out of luck...

this is not what samplers are for, the only real way to do this is to have a computer... (or perhaps sync up a tape recorder somehow lol)...

anyways the way you make music with the esx is by RADICALLY and I mean **RADICALLY** altering different samples that are relatively short...

this allows you to have a lot of creative possibillities for creating different types of sounds....

yuou also have to realise that this is a WORKSTATION meaning it's a beat machine, it's got a sample based synth(meaning it uses looped synth samples for sound generation).... and beat loop chopper warper and player as well as loop player...

basically you'd be wasting too much practical space unless you used those same samples in a lot of your songs....

I had literally like a two second vocal phrase and I was able to mangle it so much that I used it at least in six of my patterns...

anyways gotta run. peace. good luck
paul_courville

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: aafanatic setup Reply with quote

aafanatic,
Really like your gear!
I have the Triton Le and EMX but want to add the ESX and Radias.
Do you dare take this gear to live gigs?
And can you show us some pics?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers.
Cyberdude

www.cyberdudeproductions.com
www.broadjam.com/cyberdude
paul_courville

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: What does one shot actually mean?

A single non-repeating musical event i.e. a single bass drum, snare or high hat.
Certain special effects are also often one-shot events.
Cheers.
Cyberdude

www.cyberdudeproductions.com
www.broadjam.com/cyberdude
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: