Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the quality of Korg's samples good enough for TV/Film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Daun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Is the quality of Korg's samples good enough for TV/Film Reply with quote

I recently got this comment on some tunes I recorded. I used a Triton Le and M3. You can check the tunes out at www.sonicbids.com/terrydaun
I always thought that Korg kicked butt in terms of realism. Am I still right? Confused

RE:New instrumentals for TV & Film

Hi Terry,

I think they sound pretty good. The playing is excellent. I write for TV as well, in a very different style, but it's still meant for media.

I just have one comment. In my experience, people will shy away from music that is meant to sound like real instruments, but sounds like sampled instruments or hybrids...unless the samples are VERY, very good. Now this is just my opinion, but the parts in these songs that are emulations of real instruments don't sound very realistic. They're well played, it's just that they sound, sorry, fake. I'm guessing that your only using the Korgs. I think that if you went with some of the higher quality samplers (Kontakt and Gigastudio, for example) and invested in some of the sample products out there, it would be a dramatic improvement. I'm trying to do that little by little. It's expensive, but it's paid off very well so far.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just have one comment. In my experience, people will shy away from music that is meant to sound like real instruments, but sounds like sampled instruments

I take it he doesn't have a TV or radio where he lives.
Nearly everything in the radio or TV is synth / rompler based. It's either recreations of older songs, or new material, but it's 99% of the time sequenced on synths.

The Discovery channel is a prime example. Usually it's seriously low budget crap played on a casio.

Turn on any kids channel.... big bucks to be made in this type of music. Again... all of which is sequenced on a rompler.

If you want to get into scoring for Movies, then sure, you will need to buy an expensive library and a few PC's to run it. But if it's just bread and butter music your after, the rompler is the way to go.

Regards.
Sharp.
TagPass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
people will shy away from music that is meant to sound like real instruments, but sounds like sampled instruments or hybrids...unless the samples are VERY, very good.

Yeah, I have to strongly disagree with this as well. I scored 2 films (independent!) and 2 seasons of a television series with nary a high-quality sample within earshot. All orchestral cues were done with Roland JV- and XV-era romplers. When I met with the exec. producers to preview some of the tracks in progress, no one said word one about the "realism" of the sounds, and I'm definitely not a virtuoso player!

What the "people" really care about is not "Is it real?", but rather "Is it decent?", "Is it cheap?" and most importantly "Is it done?"
lcmorley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the M3 is very good at what it does, and that is to produce good quality samples. I suppose that it what the crunch word is "Samples".

If you want the real thing, then get the real thing, get an orchestra into a studio and do the real thing!

If you want samples, then use the M3!

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
bkboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i know some korg fanbois may not like to hear this...but m3 acoustic samples are indeed a bit fake. as i have said unwaveringly, m3 is great for strings/organs and even piano now, but for guitars, sax, etc, i think the m3 samples are very cheesy.

being the devil's advocate - for realistic sounds, yamaha motif xs is clearly the way to go if you don't want to spend $$$$$ for giga libraries and a good computer system that can actually meet its demands.

m3 is great for electronic music, more cleaner and defined than the motif xs.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
sorry, i know some korg fanbois may not like to hear this...but m3 acoustic samples are indeed a bit fake. as i have said unwaveringly, m3 is great for strings/organs and even piano now, but for guitars, sax, etc, i think the m3 samples are very cheesy.

well so just go for an ES or an XS so that you'll never been able to sync your flute or violin sound with the tempo of your piece... Twisted Evil or maybe you prefer to change the tempo of your song to have them synced... oh sorry, I forgot, Yamaha didn't take a single sample for each note so every note has different lfo speed... mmmm indeed very usefull for studio purpouse... Rolling Eyes
LEVEL4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
. . . well so just go for an ES or an XS so that you'll never been able to sync your flute or violin sound with the tempo of your piece... Twisted Evil or maybe you prefer to change the tempo of your song to have them synced . . . oh sorry, I forgot, Yamaha didn't take a single sample for each note so every note has different lfo speed . . . mmmm indeed very useful for studio purpose . . .

I'm not arguing your point, in fact, I find your post interesting. But probably the most common rompler I see in pro studios (places where I see Billboard 100 artists rehearsing/recording, like Capitol Records, Record Plant, Center Staging, SIR, etc.) is the Motif XS. Is the LFO sync really a problem? I'm certainly no Yamaha schill (although I am a fan of the Motif's sounds)—I returned my Motif ES8 and bought a Roland Fantom-X8 instead.

Last edited by LEVEL4 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you hear a vibrato effects out of time in any commercial CD or track... the XS is a good workstation as the m3 and kurzweil, roland too (but I don't like them Wink ), a workstation is what the name sudgest so you can use external samples and so on, but the fact that the motif is in many studio doesn't mean that they use its acoustic instruments...
regards, Lorenzo
muziksculp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For serious TV or Film soundtrack Orchestral emulations, your best option would be the larger software based sample libraries, such as VSL, and EWQLSO, and many others on offer on today's sample marketplace.

As far as the demos for TV or Film using the M3, and Triton LE, well.. I have to say they do sound on the fake side, so, I would say that if you are hoping to emulate a real orchestra, they just won't cut it. They were just not designed for the job. Simple as that.

The Yamaha Motif XS has IMHO a much better acoustic set of instruments than the Korgs do. (I have the Motif XS7, Motif ES7, and Korg M3), and the Motif XS7 has the best orchestral/acoustic sounds as far as Keyboards go. But still not good enough for serious Orchestral emulations.

But, then again, the Motif XS7 is no match for the larger orchestral sample libraries, software based orch. sample libraries offer a much higher level or quality and realism. IMHO, not much of a contest here.

Having said so, I would not generalize things, there are still quite a bit of TV/Film projects that can benefit from synthetic orchestrations as long as they are NOT trying to sound like real orchestral instruments, but rather use synthetic sounds in a more innovative, and progrssive way, to add more emotional, or expressive value to the movie. This is where creative musical ideas, and concepts can make working with an M3, or XS, or Triton lots of fun) ! and Yes, if you use it in this fashion, Korgs, Yamahas, and Rolands.. all can create some wonderful music for Film/Soundtrack... but not pure orchestral emulations.

By the way, sometimes adding a real acoustic performance to a sampled based orchestration, can dramatically increase the realism factor. So, if you play any acoustic instruments, don't ignore the fact, that recording one or two, additional audio tracks of a real performer makes a huge impact on realism.

Have Fun ! Smile
jazzman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muziksculp wrote:
By the way, sometimes adding a real acoustic performance to a sampled based orchestration, can dramatically increase the realism factor. So, if you play any acoustic instruments, don't ignore the fact, that recording one or two, additional audio tracks of a real performer makes a huge impact on realism.

Have Fun ! Smile

Thats the best advice and the bottom line as well. When you use Workstations alone it just does not cut it. But when you use "well placed" live instruments with them the results can be so realistic. Anyone who says diferant is just fooling themselves or have been out of the loop too long and forgot what it really takes.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:

being the devil's advocate - for realistic sounds, yamaha motif xs is clearly the way to go if you don't want to spend $$$$$ for giga libraries and a good computer system that can actually meet its demands.

m3 is great for electronic music, more cleaner and defined than the motif xs.

Why of COURSE the XS is better

But who cares, MoBoy ?
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: