Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LSainsbury

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Newbie! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just got myself an R3!

I can play a bit, but it's been a few years due to lack of space and finance!

Anyway - I'm a fan of Jean Michel Jarre - and I'm after some JMJ type patches!

Anybody managed to program some yet?

Hope to get some tips off you guys and girls!

Cheers!

Lee
embry0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some useful tutorials on YouTube.com to get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9dA4anq790
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQCDXRs3O7A
http://www.youtube.com/user/williamenroh

Proud owner of >RADIAS-R+RDKB|microX|KP3
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie! Reply with quote

LSainsbury wrote:
Hi all,

Just got myself an R3!

I can play a bit, but it's been a few years due to lack of space and finance!

Anyway - I'm a fan of Jean Michel Jarre - and I'm after some JMJ type patches!

Anybody managed to program some yet?

Hope to get some tips off you guys and girls!

Cheers!

You might want to be a bit more specific. Jarre's style (and sounds) have changed considerably over the years. So, stating an album/track might help elicit a better response.

In essence, you will find it hard to emulate true Analog (Oxygene/Equinox) type sounds on the R3 (The built in Phaser effect is also a bit weak in this department (it's certainly no SmallStone)). However, anything (non-samples based) from Rendezvous onwards shouldn't be too difficult. Did you know he used a RADIAS (same engine as R3) on his latest album Teo & Tea?

_US.
LSainsbury

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie! Reply with quote

Unknown Sound wrote:

You might want to be a bit more specific. Jarre's style (and sounds) have changed considerably over the years. So, stating an album/track might help elicit a better response.

In essence, you will find it hard to emulate true Analog (Oxygene/Equinox) type sounds on the R3 (The built in Phaser effect is also a bit weak in this department (it's certainly no SmallStone)). However, anything (non-samples based) from Rendezvous onwards shouldn't be too difficult. Did you know he used a RADIAS (same engine as R3) on his latest album Teo & Tea?

_US.

Thanks for the YouTube stuff!

OK - _US..

I've seen the YouTube video regarding the drums (Guiro sound)..

I'd love some idea on how to replicate the Quijada sound!

I love all his stuff - but I think T&T is a crap album...I'm an old school JMJ you see!

So anything Rendez-Vous, Revolutions would be cool!

My ain is to try and create a complete sound library of sounds!

So any ideas, or patches that have been created already would be a good starting point!

Thanks very much for reading!

Lee
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I have a RADIAS not R3.

Rendezvous is full of Saw tooth waves passed through a High Pass Filter (with Filter sweep via an Envelope). The infamous background 'Sparkle' is an LFO (Sample & Hold) (pitch) modulated Square wave patch. I have managed to get close when programming my Trinity (and lost the disk I saved it on Mad ) but will spend some time soon on the RADIAS. BTW: The RADIAS (and R3) gives you unlimited power with the Modulation Sequencers.

Most of the Jarre signature subtractive synthesis patches can be recreated on modern digital synths. I've never come across off the shelf Jarre patches through my Internet travels. I personally think it comes down to time & programming. What I often find is after experimenting trying to recreate other peoples sounds, I end up with something completely different (and my own) that's is way cool. That's the voyage of discovery.

As for T&T. I still listen to it (when in a certain mood). Oxygene will always be number one for me.

_US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: