Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KP3 Editor SLOW Transmit/Transfer - waiting sucks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugeats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: KP3 Editor SLOW Transmit/Transfer - waiting sucks Reply with quote

I just got my KP3 and absolutely love it so far. However, there's one thing that's really annoying, and it seems unusual enough that there's a chance it's just something in my setup.

The KP3 Editor software transmits the samples extremely slowly. It seriously takes like 20 minutes to transfer 3mb worth of samples.

In USB Mode, the files will copy over in about 15 seconds. What could account for this discrepancy?

Ahh, as I type, the stupid progress bar has just now flipped over to Bank B. I think I'll go make a sandwich...
decrepitude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, 20 minutes does seem unusual.

Just to be clear, "transfers" happen via Midi (facilitated by USB - but not taking advantage of it's inherent speed as you saw with the normal file transfers via USB mode.) which by nature is very slow anyway, but it shouldn't be 20 minutes.

Ok, you know the drill:

-Are there any other audio/midi apps running during these transfers?

-Does this problem persist after a full restart?

-Did you format the SD card in your KP3? Do you have another one lying around (or borrow from a friend) that you could compare with?

-Try another USB cable. I've definitely run into bad and faulty cables from time to time. A nice heavy duty "shielded" USB cable is always preferable.

Try some of this stuff and then report back.
bugeats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

decrepitude wrote:

-Are there any other audio/midi apps running during these transfers?

Nope.

decrepitude wrote:

-Does this problem persist after a full restart?

Yep.

decrepitude wrote:

-Did you format the SD card in your KP3? Do you have another one lying around (or borrow from a friend) that you could compare with?

I would like to compare, but the speed with which it recalls samples is perfectly acceptable to me, so I'm not sure this is the first place to look.

decrepitude wrote:

-Try another USB cable. I've definitely run into bad and faulty cables from time to time. A nice heavy duty "shielded" USB cable is always preferable.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. I mostly just wanted to confirm that I wasn't crazy, but the part that freaks me out the most about this is: IT XFERS OVER MIDI?!? WTF? I plug in a USB cable and it uses the midi protocol? What is this 1986?

What's your source for this info?
decrepitude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bugeats - I have to eat crow here. I making that ASSumption. But as Sherlock Holmes said "Eliminate the obvious, and what is left must be" it is the only logical explanation:
-The editor makes no use of the KP3's USB mode.
-If we plug the KP3 into our computer's USB jack and we don't engage 'USB Mode' on the KP3, the KP3 appears to the computer as a midi device.

(Once again I'm assuming,) Korg has provided the 'USB Mode" only for simple file transfers - and it stands to reason that this was a sort of over compensating for the lack of speed when the KP3 is acting as a midi device.

It is worth noting that if you were really working the maximum programming potential of the KP3, using the editor would still be a time saver. Instead of transferring from the editor, you just save your ALL and SMP files locally, switch the KP3 over to USB mode and then copy all your work in one batch. I realize this takes away the luxury of auditioning sounds on the KP3 as your working in the editor.

I just don't think Korg expected so many people wanting to utilize the KP3's sampling features in a LivePA context.

Ultimately what we need is an audio/midi driver. And what have now is far from that.

All in all, the editor is still a worthwhile tool. You can take loops you recorded on the KP3 and turn them into 'one shots'. You can adjust tempos to 'fool' the KP3, and I'm working on a method to extend sampling playback time through the use of sped up samples triggered by the 'time stretch' program (SMP.6). I'll post it to 'tips and tricks' when I've tested it more.

I'm also working on a '"letter to Korg" in which I explain how many people want to use this device not just as a device for DJ's but also as a performance sampler. We may not get it in the 3, but we'll shoot for the KP4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: