Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutorial MOD-7 Parameter guide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arend Groot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Tutorial MOD-7 Parameter guide Reply with quote

I reported to many freezes since updating to 1.3 Don't like that at all. Sad

But........ I do enjoy the new MOD-7 and can advice the newbie’s with FM, like myself, exploring the tutorial from the PMguide page 331 to 339. Cool

Really nice step by step tour. By following the steps I begin to understand what's happening and it is a good starting point for creating and editing your sounds. WOW, what a synth! Thanks Korg!

I would have loved this one with STR-1/ MS-20 Wink

Arend
mozartella

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arend,

Yes I read some about the parameter guide, for the MOD7 and, what is, that time nice, we have a kind of tutorial with it, and, it's time, Korg, finally realize, we are not all bright with Mod7, LAc , etc, etc, Karma, sample and synths, at least me..

maybe I never read very much from the book, because, when I put my fingers on the O, my brain, start to dissolve toward music an playing, and good bye the book..., but, that time, yes I did read, and going to read more....Korg for dummies that what at lots of us truly need...Nothing wrong with it, because, Yamaha, for instance had understood, if they do sell lots of Tyros or else of the gears they do make, it is maybe they put some simple explanations into theirs brochures...

Sometimes I do wonder, why Korg, thing " if they buy from us, let it be difficult to master" please do not take it wrong, I do love their products, but, I dislike when I bought a Ferrari, not beeing able to truly drive it to it's fullest.... Yes we do have some video over the Net, but, usually, they are just the tip of the iceberg..... Wink

Can you believe? if theses forums would not exists, I thing, I would never had the courrage to even think of buying an Oasys

And, if a mere maybe 5 % can truly get true all the stuff of an Oasys, before, either resale it ( too complicated ) then, Korg would only benefit on sales volume, if any of theirs gears would automaticaly come with Video and lots more tutorials
mdh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozartella wrote:

And, if a mere maybe 5 % can truly get true all the stuff of an Oasys, before, either resale it ( too complicated ) then, Korg would only benefit on sales volume, if any of theirs gears would automaticaly come with Video and lots more tutorials

There's a lot of videos up on Korg's website. A lot more than I've ever seen for any other instrument. Also, various artists have their own instructional videos too.

It is not Korg's job to teach you how to use the OASYS any more than its General Motors job to teach you how to drive cars. There's two very good manuals that come with the system covering every aspect of operations and tunable parameters; both of which are updated with the OS upgrades. If this is not enough, pay an expert to instruct you further.

I bought one knowing full well it was way beyond my current capabilities - I bought it because the sound was brilliant (you must listen to STR-1 through pro speakers - you can hear the bow strike the string!), the support was excellent, I wasn't about to outgrow its capabilities soon and its upgradable if I do. The open architecture is great. I look forward to all the stuff Korg currently has in the pipelines for this brilliant instrument.
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the documentation is done properly. However, I quite often miss the workflow-issue - esp. on a workstation that is more than just a synth. Mike Conway's tutorial videos explain what I mean. It's hard to do that without videos. Another great example is Stephen with his Karma videos.
pandel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought one knowing full well it was way beyond my current capabilities

That was exactly my starting point. When I decided to order my O, I first got my hands on both manuals and got really frightened because I thought I couldn't handle that much. But in fact it's like it always is if you have a very complex system, a full grown DAW solution's just the same. You have to learn it step by step. I decided to get familiar with the basic functions (different modes, tweaking options, KARMA RTC, and so on) and not to go to deep into the whole programming stuff at first. Ok, I did look into this but it seemed to be too complex for just a quick look. Now the time has come, that I'm feeling really familiar with all the basics, so with MOD-7 I started to delve into the big sound programming labyrinth trying to find my way through it.

I must admit, I haven't had many experiences with sound design up to now. I don't own many different synths for years or got my hands on a MS-20 to drive me nuts when I was 10 Laughing I think, I just started.

So I went out to buy a book about synthesizer programming (what's also the name of the book) to learn the basics skills bottom up. During the last days I tried what I learned so far using AL-1 and I feel I get it slowly. It's nearly like painting: in the beginning you have only a few colors and your painting looks rough but heavily colored. The more colors you have the more details you can paint and the more complex your painting can become!

BUT: I always used the manuals as reference! And therefor they are incredibly detailed. And with this big machine I learned one more time that workflow is something you got to define for yourself out of the knowledge you have. The more I learned the more I had to "rework" some of my own workflows (esp. with the sequencer), but I feel the whole things getting smoother. I really get to the point to not only know what to do, but also to make it happen right away while being creative and not to be disturbed by the technical process itself.

I can just advise you to get into the manuals as deep as you can. Exclamation I know that a lot technical stuff can be boring but I always tried to imagine what the stuff that I read is actually good for in a creative point of view. So you can try to connect the techniques you read about to the things you can do with them. I often got to the point of "Wow, that's possible? Got to try it tomorrow!" when the time of the day was only for reading and not for playing loudly anymore. You'll see, even reading a handbook *can* be some fun!

I shurely admit, I really like this short introductory part to the MOD-7 and would have apprecitated such parts for at least STR-1 and AL-1 (LAC-1 can derived from that and for CX-3 a nice short tut exists from Korg), as those have been the inital sound modules, and I anticipate Mikes DVD (because I like the way Mike explains and perhaps he has found some tips'n'tricks you won't get out of any manual).
I hope, that for every one who doesn't like those manuals the videos are of great help, but I think it's not mandatory.

Just my2c...
bctines

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I don't belive you can expect immediate gratification with something as deep as the OASYS. Taking mdh's metaphor: You can drive a Vette off the lot, but it can easily take you a huge amount of time to get to the bottom of it. Maybe even years.

It should be a fun experience, to peel back the layers over time and discover the joys of the OASYS.

At least you can do it at home in your studio, not at some distant race track, spending serious money each time on fuel, tires, etc., or breaking a bone or two.

And if you had all the manuals on how to drive fast, it'd take a whole room of shelves, not just the few inches of OASYS books/vids.

Unless you're a fulltime, income-generating pro like some here, it seems that approaching the OASYS as a long-term adventure will produce the most rewards.

Now if Korg would add to the OASYS a 700 BHP, four OH cammed, supercharged, Mod-9 engine with paddle shifters, a custom Recaro and a cupholder with cowbell, I would indeed be instantly gratified.
MarcOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it stops freezing, I will be happy and glad to take my time uncovering it's full capabilities. I also bought the Oasys, knowing that it would take me a long time to reall learn it fully. I eagerly await and plunge into each new exi, etc... I just want the Oasys to be rock stable. Korg instruments have always been that....surely it should be a priority for the "flagiest" flagship of them all.
ldascanio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parameter Guide seems to be intimidating at the beginning....MOD-7 chapter contains 50 pages!!!! But if you already readed and learnt other chapters as STR-1 you will see that most of the info is almost the same....Audio Input info....PCM osc and their parameters...use of filters, use of AMSs and their parameters are written every time it's needed so you don't need to refer to other parts of the manual...but the fact is (and that's part of the beauty of OASYS) you are adquiring a totally new synth engine and you just need to focus on the synth engine characteristics and posibilities because you don't need to learn new naming system for your envelopes, modulation posibilities, etc, etc, and other big etc!!!!! Once you learn these things for one of the synth engines you already have a big road already walked for all the others.

For sure none of them are easy enough for full learning in just a few days due to their complexity and posibilities. But the standarized naming system, structure, routing, etc pay off at the end of the day....

Just my point of view...
Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
MarcOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I see that. It's true that they repeat entire sections so it's convenient. it winds up thickening the book!

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations as to where the best source for DX-7 sysex downloadable libraries are?

That would be most appreciated......
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcOne wrote:
By the way, does anyone have any recommendations as to where the best source for DX-7 sysex downloadable libraries are?

That would be most appreciated......

See:

https://www.korguser.net/oasys/support/links/

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
MarcOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan!

I should have looked there.... who would have thunk it?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcOne wrote:
Thanks, Dan!

I should have looked there.... who would have thunk it?

Glad to help!

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: