Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OASYS becoming increasingly unstable with each O/S update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that the OASYS is becoming increasingly unstable with each O/S update
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
No
76%
 76%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 34

loneguitar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the Oasys OS is getting more unstable each time. Bugs have been found in 1.3 but then again bugs will be found in 1.4 when it comes around. I am sure Korg are working on fixes and that 1.31 is on the way. Software is always going to bring up issues as peolple test the OS in real life more chance of someone doing somthing not done by the Beta testers and a bug showing up. This has been quite a big update because of the new Karma and the new MOD-7 as well as small fixes and new features added. I myself have had a couple of problems with 1.3 but I think we are now looking for bugs in the new OS maybe things that were there before but are now being flagged up. This is overall a good thing as Korg are listening to us and are willing to work to put things right as can be seen from the Korg representitives on this forum. They don't have to be here but they are and do a great job of listening and replying to our posts. I do appreciate those who use the Oasys for work need a stable machine and I am sure the bugs will be fixed.
This is just my opinion the Oasys is an incredibly complex machine.It is a fantastic instrument to play and the features are second to none.
MarcOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneguitar, yes I do appreciate how complex and how incredible the Oasys is. I just wrote under another topic how eagerly I look forward to each development, and how patient I am willing to be in learning its full capabilities. Stability is an absolute basic requirement, though. Any lesser machine that froze on me, I would have to reconsider whether to continue relying on it.
MarcOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, the entire keyboard totally freezing after just saving a combi to memory is hardly a hidden bug that has to be uncovered. This is too major and obvious to ever be an issue.
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Hey Paul,

paulifra wrote:
I do not understand what beta testers have been doing while testing this new OS version.

I don't know if you remember my early experiences with the Oasys, but I used to be plagued with freezes and became quite upset with it. So you have my sympathies for sure. Also you can imagine that when I was testing, this was something I was very sensitive to; however my Oasys running 1.3 is actually very stable. There is something else going on here, something I can't put my finger on it, it's something more complex.

Daz.

As I was another one who had a very unstable Oasys for a period of time, I also concur with Daz that there is something else much more complex going on here, that is outside of the scope of the Beta Testers realm. As one of the testers, I am limited as to what I can and cannot say about the testing proceedures used due to the agreements all testers have with Korg but I think it is reasonable to say that the testers really did work very hard at finding all the weird bugs that we could (and we did, too) but there is something else that seems to affect different Oasys's at different times, that none of us can either explain or often recreate. The reprodusable bugs such as the new one Elvis just found, are relatively easy to fix i would imagine because the Korg techs can see it for themselves and therefore analyse the code to find out what is causing this bug and stomp it out.. but the random 'freeze' bug of the nature that you are suffering from (and that both Daz and I suffered from in the past) is a hard beast to track down because it simply isn't usually reproducable in any reliable manner and so Korg themselves cannot reproduce it and therefore cannot fix what cannot be clearly identified and also that it seems to fix itself with no clear identification of why it suddenly fixed itself being obvious to anyone.

Thats the most annoying and frustrating part of the 'freeze'issue. If everyone had it then the cause would probably be found much quicker but that is not the case. It only seems to affect a few Oasys's.. and even then, at different times with different versions of the OS. For me, upgrading to V1.2.x seemed to almost completely cure my freeze issue.. (Along with changing out my mem sticks for a matched pair though whether it was really fixed by either action is still a matter of some debate, for me at least) For others installing v1.2.x has increased the frequency of or even created the problem.. and for others still the freeze issue is a completely non issue altogether as their O's have remained quite stable throughout every upgrade so far (with the exception of the known, reproducable bugs that were quickly fixed).

So, in fairness to Korg.. Brandon for example.. by his comments, has been working quite hard to nail down the exact causes of such freeeze issues but without easily reproduseable events that always lead to such a freeze, which the random freeze issue does not have obviously, then it's pretty hard for him and the rest of the team to work out exactly what is causing it, especially if their O's don't have the issue at all or only very rarely!

I don't have an asnwer on how to fix this for you.. and Im sure no one else does either at this time. All I can suggest is that you try different things.. everything from making sure you have good power smoothing and surge protection to making sure your O is not overheating in any way.. all the usual stuff you would try if it were a computer that was having the same kind of issues and maybe you might hit upon what is causing your particular problem by accident.

One other tip I used when I was having a problem with another type of bug I thought I had found, was that I used a webcam to record everything I did on the O for a few hours and then, eventually when the 'bug' manifested itself, I could go back, look at the recorded footage and clearly identify the steps I took just prior to the 'bug'and redid them again to see if it was a repeatable bug. In my case, sadly.. the particular error I was trying to track down at that time, was finally tracked down to a loose nut located somewhere between the Oasys and the chair I was sitting on! Smile However, the basic method did work and helped me clearly identify what, in this case, I was doing wrong to cause such a weird bug.

Good luck!

Nigel

The Art Of Sound Website **UPDATED: 1st FEB 2008**

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
Mag66

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcOne wrote:
Besides, the entire keyboard totally freezing after just saving a combi to memory is hardly a hidden bug that has to be uncovered.

Well, it is a well hidden bug... if it only occurs with a very few Oasys's... and even more so if it doesn't occur every time with those very few O's too.

How would you suggest Korg identify and reproduce the bug and then fix it if it isn't reproducable but more random in nature and even worse, only affects very few O's??

The Art Of Sound Website **UPDATED: 1st FEB 2008**

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mag66 wrote:
How would you suggest Korg identify and reproduce the bug and then fix it if it isn't reproducable but more random in nature and even worse, only affects very few O's??

This is logical and I agree with you Nigel. But on the other hand if you are one of those O owners it is also clear that this is not a satisfying situation.

When it comes to unreproducible errors I can contribute one example as well. There was this strange thing going on with the COMPARE function not working in just one bank of combinations. It was there but when I replaced the whole bank with a new and empty one then loaded the files again and restarted it was gone. I had to figure the latter out in front of a friend I just tried to show the problem... at the end we had a good laugh.

Furthermore there was also a problem with the TFT which is now gone. But I know how it feels when the endorphins are making there way....

peter
medusaland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter m. mahr wrote:
Mag66 wrote:

This is logical and I agree with you Nigel. But on the other hand if you are one of those O owners it is also clear that this is not a satisfying situation.

When it comes to unreproducible errors I can contribute one example as well. There was this strange thing going on with the COMPARE function not working in just one bank of combinations. It was there but when I replaced the whole bank with a new and empty one then loaded the files again and restarted it was gone. I had to figure the latter out in front of a friend I just tried to show the problem... at the end we had a good laugh.

Wink

Furthermore there was also a problem with the TFT which is now gone. But I know how it feels when the endorphins are making there way....

peter
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcOne wrote:
You can add my Oasys 76 to this list. Ever since I updated to OS 1.3, just a week ago it has frozen on me four times, twice when I used the control surface, and twice when I wrote combinations to memory. My only choice is to reboot the Oasys. It never did that pm earlier OS versions.

Hi Marc,

I'm sorry that you're encountering difficulties.
Can you provide any more details, to assist us in tracking down what happened? For instance, re the control surface, do you remember what Program (or Combi) you were working on, or what EXi it used? Any details would be helpful, such as what page you were on in the UI, what controls you were moving, etc.
Re saving Combis: any details would also be helpful here. At what point did the freeze occur?

Thank you for any additional details that you can provide. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: