Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zero 8 is cool
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splurt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Zero 8 is cool Reply with quote

yep

Last edited by splurt on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
splurt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero 8

Last edited by splurt on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting noise on the Master output on my Zero8. It is a constant hiss and a low hum sound. It plays on the Master outputs regardless of volume level on the mixer. I also have the noise on my booth speakers, but not nearly as bad as the master.

My setup is properly grounded. Everything is plugged into a Furman 20 amp power conditioner. When I disconnect the XLR cable from my main speakers, the noise goes away. The noise is also present with my computer turned off and disconnected from Firewire, so I have isolated the problem to the Korg mixer.

Contacted Korg support and they just told me to take it back to the dealer and get a replacement.
splurt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

Last edited by splurt on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Serial is also in the low 300s.

Last night I did spend some time messing with my speakers.

I don't know about your setup, but I am using some Mackie SRM-450 self-powered speakers on my Master output using XLR cables. The XLR output from the Zero8 is supposed to be a +4 dBu output. The Mackies are matched for a +4 dBu input, but they do have a gain control.

In the past, I have always run these Mackies off of my Allen & Heath Zone 62 mixer, using XLR cables at +4 dBu. The Mackies are self-amplified, and they do have a very faint, but noticable noise floor when they are turned on.... irrespective if they have a source cable plugged into them or not. But the noise I am experiencing when these Mackies are hooked up to the Korg mixer is MUCH louder. The most interesting fact about this noise is that it does not get louder when I turn up the volume on the Korg with no source music playing. Usually when a channel presents noise, it will get louder when you increase the volume. But not on the Korg.

Therefore, I have found that if I decrease the gains on my Mackies I can effectively lower the perceived noise floor. Then I can run the Korg master volume at full tilt since this does not seem to affect the level of the noise. Basically, I am maximizing the Signal/Noise ratio this way.

I have noticed an improvement by doing this, but it's still not as quiet as my Allen & Heath.

Just one more interesting point..... may or may not be related.

The Korg Zero8 has these two analog Peak Indicators. I am assuming these are supposed to move with the beat of my music to let me know when I am approaching a clipped signal? Well, I can't hardly get these needles to move at all..... even with my master volume at full tilt. The only way I can get them to move is to turn the master up and turn up my channel gains at the same time. But when I do that, my monitors' clip indicators will flash.
splurt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree

Last edited by splurt on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.

My feeling on the matter is that I seriously doubt this is a problem with only a few mixers. I suspect that if I did return my Zero8 for a replacement, it would have the same noise issue.

So I am somewhat hesitant to go through the hassle of returning it.
splurt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep
Reggmail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Korg Zero 8 + 4 Mixers High Output Noise Level. Reply with quote

What's up all? Confused Sad Confused Mad
I have tried to reproduce your problem in Magix Audio, in Sound Forge, and in Tracktor.
My findings is that you would need to first of all, make sure your recording levels are as hot as you could stand them.
Example in Sound Forge I am recording on channel 6 on my Zero 8 mixer '' you could chose your desired channel'' then in Sound Forge Preference panel (Audio Device Type) Korg Asio, then in (Default Playback Device) I chose Zero 6L OUT/ Zero 6R OUT, then in (Default Recording Device) I chose Zero 1L IN/ Zero 1R IN then Apply.
Click on Record under the File to open the Record - Sound 1 Box.
Method: Normal, Device: Zero 1L IN / Zero 1R IN, Mode : Multiple takes creating Regions, then Start 1:1.0
Check in Monitor, then at the bottom of this box I chose at the Enable audio input monitoring out ( No Check in that box.) If you do need that turn down that channel send back fader to 0.

This box is usually checked by default, if a check is there and I use an effect, it tends to echo back such as a if you chose a Delay from the Zero Channel send, the delay would give you an effect cycle back that sounds horrible.
Also don't forget to run your signals hot.
My Zero Mixer master was at about 3 o'clock, the channel fader was on # 7-8 Gain at 12 o'clock barely peaking 9-10 audio.
Sound level on Sound Forge Record 1 sound box was between -18-9db
If you need more level go to your (Process) and chose Normalize to open the wave for more audio.

Sad Mad Embarassed Sad
On another note, in order to send effect from the (Zero FX) + send) to channel 6, I first turn up the channel 6 effect send, then I would need to go to ether channel 1 or 2 effect send nob, turn it all the way up, then down to get effect on channel 6 my desired channel, that's kind of weird.
Korg could not find that problem, do anyone have that problem using Zero Mixer with a PC or Mac audio program?
Please let me know and call Korg also. Thanks. Surprised Confused Confused Sad

Hope that helps you.
Peace & blessings.
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about which program you record to ..... the noise issue comes before that. I get noise before I even connect a computer.

Just take the Zero8 and plug in the power cable and turn it on. Plug in one of your studio monitors and turn it on. Listen to the noise floor on your monitor before you connect it to the mixer. Then connect your XLR cable and you'll get instant hiss. The hiss is unaffected by the master volume on the mixer.

The mixer XLR Master is set for +4 dBu.
My Mackie SRM-450 is set for +4 dBu.

So, in theory, these should be matched well. But the background hiss is so bad that I must turn the gain on the Mackie way down. Even then, the Mackie has so much hiss that it won't turn itself off automatically if I leave the mixer on and connected. The Mackies have an auto shutoff feature if they don't receive any audio for a few minutes. The hiss is so loud that it keeps the Mackies turned on, even when the Mackies gains are turned all the way down.
splurt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: hiss more serious Reply with quote

i met the korg guys at the AES and thats why i changed the title of my post, because i know they read these forums and they also were very nice, and the main thing was

HIS DEMO MODEL WAS NOT HISSING.

I CHECKED IT OUT!

So... i had one with a 300 serial number and so do you, id highly suggest you call korg and bug them, and try to get a replacement, im getting my replacement through my seller soon, hopefully that will be better
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 30 day return period has expired with the dealer. Plus, my dealer was on the internet so I would have to send it by UPS.

Korg suggested I take it to an authorized repair shop to replace the master bus.

Let me know if your new mixer is hiss-free. If so, then I may to through the repair process.
splurt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still waiting for mine
splurt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine, and its got the same noise issue... its bad, but i read somewhere korg is trying to fix it?
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it would still have noise. That's why I did not bother swapping out. Now I'm not going to bother going through the repair process, either.

I'll just wait and watch what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: