Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sampillion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Adobe Audition but it suits my needs for now: I need software to edit my samples, but that's it, everything else I work on Extreme, don't tend to play software samplers just now.

Native Instruments Kontakt (I think version 3 or even 4 is actual) is software for sampling in various formats, even supports .KSF so probably is good option for us.

Cakewalk Sonar (version 6 is actual) - virtual studio, almost everything you would need from PC.

There are also Halion, Cubase, Nuendo, SampleTank, lot's of them.

I didn't work with any of them, they cost a lot of money and just now I can't afford them.
stultzsweeties

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Sampillion Reply with quote

Thanks Shrike. Hey what kind of music do you like?
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like music which is probably unfamiliar to you, it's Croatian music played with string instruments similar to mandolins but with somewhat different sound. Also like Balkan's folk music.
From things familiar to you, I like Dire Straits, Elvis, Queen, good old stuff, today's American music is all about hip hop and I don't consider that to be a music, so...
I like your American country music, if I ever come to America (which I doubt) Nashville would be my destination.
And Vangelis, Jarre, Ennio Moricone are things that I relax with.
That's about it.

Any progress with sampling?
stultzsweeties

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Sampillion Reply with quote

Shrike I sure loved hearing about your music, I ask everybody what their all time favorite song is and most people have to really think about that for a while. I attend the Abbey Road By The River (http://www.abbeyroadontheriver.com) in Louisville, Kentucky every year which is a gathering for bands from all over the world who replicate, some look identical, have the same instruments and play like The Beatles. They had George Harrison's sister there one year and last year they had Pete Best who was The Beatles first drummer. I got his autographed picture of him wtih The Beatles and I asked him if he would sign also his favorite song of all time. He put "Besame Mucho", which was a song he played with The Beatles. I bet you can't guess what my favorite style of music is can you? My favorite song of all time is "Exodus". Haven't had time to look on the internet for those sampling programs I've been playing and practicing alot. We play every week and practice twice a week so it's hard to do much else. I really wonder how many Korg owners really delve into sampling. It sure seems like a painstaking process to me and it would be well worth purchasing virtulal instrumentation.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav band ever is Dire Straits and fav song ever is Sultans of Swing.
stultzsweeties

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Sampillion Reply with quote

Hey Nedim,
Our band does that song and one of our lead players nails it note for note.
That is truely a great song. Do you play professionally?
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play with my bend on Fridays and Saturdays, play by myself, just me with accordion on Thursdays, and have 1 practice with my bend in between. But still I manage to find some time for programming and sampling. There is always something to improve in extreme, make new sounds etc.

Sampling is a hard process. If you try to learn everything than you are stuck with nothing. I used to do that, every thing I heard some people do, tried that on my own and then suddenly was stuck with too many programs, too many things and couldn't manage them all and that was going no where.

So I choose program to work with, made the priorities and goals I wanted to achieve and for now, everything is going smooth. By the end of the year I should have complete library of samples on my PC, available to convert to any needed format and already converted to .KSF and programmed in Extreme. For my needs that's more than enough.

About virtual instruments, I don't work with them, just don't have time to deal with it and don't have laptop I could use for gigs with virtual instruments.

And of course, I spent two hours per day just practicing and maintaining skill in my fingers, so really there is no time to learn how to use multiple programs.

Regards, shrike
stultzsweeties

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Sampillion Reply with quote

If I follow the easy steps that you and Sharp showed me, it should work fine. Hey, have you ever heard of a classic rock band called Focus. Check out the accordion in "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. Make sure you download the long version it's quite a fun song and I believe you might really like this song. A Dutch band from the late 60's early 70's, very talented. One hit wonder band. Another band you may like is from Germany, Kraftwerk, listen to "The Autobahn". Then in Indianapolis Indiana my home state and where I live, there is a keltic rock band called Blaq Lilly, alot of native flute instruments used and a harp. Keltic rock is very pure and cool it's done quite nicely by these folks.
I would love to have a sampled flute sound from the orchestra.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monte, you have good flute in Extreme's download section, it's Enigma flute and file is also called Enigma or something like that. .KSC and .PCG data.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monte, here is something from me, my first samples I ever made:

http://www.speedyshare.com/183885296.html

So you get the picture of accordions I use for my music.

This particular accordion is low quality and recorded with old dynamic mic, then edited in Adobe Audition and looped in Extreme.

I had to start from somewhere and that's the result.

Don't hold against me this light distortion, I didn't record it to be a hit, just for example.

And what I play isn't any piece, it's just improvisation.

And comment would be appreciated, not just from Monte but from everybody.

Thanks.

shrike
stultzsweeties

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Sampillion Reply with quote

Shrike,
You almost made me cry, I can't believe how cool that sounds. When you harmonized the parts on your improvision, did you just play higher on the keyboard and use a harmonizer on the notes or is this possible to play the droaning E and F with one hand and play that quickly, that every note that was harmonized was precisely played perfectly, with only one hand?
I'm just starting out as far as playing keyboard and I understand how you can orchestrate parts to suit your needs on the Triton Extreme, but to me it's hard to determine whether it's one player or four and even more so; how do you pick which parts to play when you're only one keyboard player. And then the sampling is another topic besides your playing abilities. I couldn't tell if you were playing your keyboard or an accordion. You know the process of sampling that you described to me; is this the same process you used to make these samples? Shrike, I love your style of music.
Monte
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Monte, for your compliments.

For those harmonizations you noticed, I play only one layer (one key at the time), but I programmed 5 user scales on Extreme to play upper or down layers for me, depending on type of minor or mayor needed for particular piece.

There are some things that you can play with fingers and I try to play only with fingers most of the time, but as you can see, there is no way one could play what I recorded just with fingers, those 32-nd pieces of one beat that I used in this Mp3 are called "triler" and it can't be played on two fingers simultaneously. That's where user scales come in hand. When you play multiple "triler" variations in one measure, and spice it with harmonization, it sounds beautiful to me.

People use various scales. I programmed my own to suit the type of music I'm playing.

But they are unique to all tonalities, user scale that's good for C major has to be good for A major also, it's mathematical law.

About sampling - I recorded this on this gear:
Dynamic microphone Shure 8700 connected to Extreme's sampling input
Extreme connected to Audigy 2 ZS sound card in microphone input
Adobe audition 2.0 running on PC and recording in 94 kHz on 24 bit (asio 2)
each tone is sampled, edited, cleaned of noise and background sounds, than saved in wave, converted and downsampled to 16 bit and 48 kHz, that's max Extreme can read.
On Extreme, those wave files are mapped to keys and looped, then saved as KSC.
And that's all.

Now that was just the begging, but I'm happy to get such good samples with poor gear. Now I'm saving money for condenser mic, Alto ACM6, and one dynamic mic Nedim recommended to me, already have a mixer with phantom power (needed for condenser mic), pop filter and that's all I'm going to work with.
Also I'll try to get high quality accordion, borrow it from someone.

And that's it, Monte, I have nothing to hide, I use only Adobe Audition 2.0, don't have time to learn how to deal with other software.

Thanks again for your reply, it gives me motivation to keep doing what I'm doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: