Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performing live

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam metal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Performing live Reply with quote

I didn't see any recent threads on this so I thought I'd start one regarding a few issues. There's quite a bit of talk regarding using the various keyboards (TEX for me) in the studio and at home, but not so much on taking it into a live setting. A few issues:

-What kind of stand do you use / what have you found the best position to be? Currently I'm using this OnStage one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-Folding-HeavyDuty-DualTier-Z-Stand?sku=450389 with only one keyboard on the flat part. I tried mounting it at an angle but it seems too difficult to work with and too wobbly. After a show a couple weeks ago that gave me some serious neck pain from headbanging, I'm trying to find a better height to suit me. What heights do you guys put your keyboards at?

-How do you run your audio out? I'm using both L and R out to get the maximum sound output, and for awhile I would run 1/4" out to a DI box, then two XLRs into the venue's main board (via their snake or whatever). However, on my band's last tour a couple of different venues produced an audible hum in the PA - luckily my guitarist had a Ebtech hum eliminator I was able to quickly borrow. I purchased one myself and now run the Triton into that, then into the DI box and then out to the main board. Any discussion on this?

-Lastly, what difficulties have you found in performing standing up, or in a live setting? I have some theories but I'd be really curious to see what differences there are in performing live vs. the studio/at home. Obviously the crowd and anxiety can be issue, so what do you do overcome this?

Thanks for any input you might have!
sam metal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add I really would like a new stand as the OnStage one is a huge pain to load in and out. Very awkward and bulky. This is the best replace I've found so far: http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMYKA7500

My idea stand would be some type of hydraulic or spring-loaded system that would allow me to move the keyboard back and forth while "rocking" - but these are obviously custom made and extremely expensive (if even available).
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Well, the "custom stand" topic has been covered a lot of time from musician gigging live...
But I think a lot of us have ended up using the traditional two-tiers K&M Spider stand or the Ultimate Support...they are both great...

Of course, if you want something in sherinian or rudess style, you'll have to use your creativity Cool

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
gnbutt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play live with 4 keyboards, I use 2 Ultimate stands. Although you can't adjust the angle of the upper keyboard, they are very easy to carry around and fold up in minutes.
GB
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
stultzsweeties

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Performing live Reply with quote

Sam Metal,
My name is Monte and our band The Late Show (www.lateshowband.net) gig every week. I sing, play guitar and I am a wanna/be keyboard player. I wish I could play keys better but that's what we practice for. I run my guitar into a Line6Pod back into my Triton Extreme. I run mono out into a DI box to the snake, then back to the mixing board. 1/4" out from the DI box goes to a monitor amp which I place right next to me and I control that. I never have hum unless I have a bad cable. I just use a standard X stand pre-wired with the DI box mounted to that. My pedal and a 110 volt strip are mounted to the stand. I fold and go when I'm done playing and only have my monitor cable and my AC as the only two cables left to connect during setups.
The difficulty I have is the microphone. I have to keep close to it while playing and singing cause I sing on almost all songs. I prefer standing up cause I'm all over the place during a song unless I'm singing the whole song.
I think about the song and how it sounds and it almost makes me giggle inside to hear it all come together. There is five of us up there and everybody has an important part in the outcome of the song so I'm only thinking about the sound and how cool it is that we are able to play the music of our favorite artists. Confidence steals fear. Don't play a song unless it really sounds great.
Good luck with your venture,
Monte
sam metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Performing live Reply with quote

stultzsweeties wrote:
Sam Metal,
My name is Monte and our band The Late Show (www.lateshowband.net) gig every week. I sing, play guitar and I am a wanna/be keyboard player. I wish I could play keys better but that's what we practice for. I run my guitar into a Line6Pod back into my Triton Extreme. I run mono out into a DI box to the snake, then back to the mixing board. 1/4" out from the DI box goes to a monitor amp which I place right next to me and I control that. I never have hum unless I have a bad cable. I just use a standard X stand pre-wired with the DI box mounted to that. My pedal and a 110 volt strip are mounted to the stand. I fold and go when I'm done playing and only have my monitor cable and my AC as the only two cables left to connect during setups.
The difficulty I have is the microphone. I have to keep close to it while playing and singing cause I sing on almost all songs. I prefer standing up cause I'm all over the place during a song unless I'm singing the whole song.
I think about the song and how it sounds and it almost makes me giggle inside to hear it all come together. There is five of us up there and everybody has an important part in the outcome of the song so I'm only thinking about the sound and how cool it is that we are able to play the music of our favorite artists. Confidence steals fear. Don't play a song unless it really sounds great.
Good luck with your venture,
Monte

Thanks, Monte.

I've thought about getting a powered monitor for me, but if we play a venue with a large PA it would overpower anything near me, so I have to rely on stage monitors.

Confidence steals fear - right on!
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Performing live Reply with quote

1 never had problem with stands, I use a simple Quick lock stand for my keyb, or if I need a second floor I have another quicklock with extensions that work perfectly. I never tilt the keyboard, my arms stays always at 90° angle to play in the natural way.

2 I go out from L-R output of my keybs and racks straight into the mixer, I have a mackie onyx with 4 stereo input, so no problem at all.

3 I just pay attention not to be passive, when I play in front of people I take that little fear and simply enjoy it. The more difficult thing is to stand a 2 + hours concert... focusing attention on what you play for such a long time is quite difficult for me, expecially if there are gals around Smile

Some beers during the gig can help.

Regards, Lorenzo
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic, to share experiences and impressions about our most beloved gear.

I had and tried a few keyboard stands but am satisfied only with Spider Pro.

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/koenig-meyer-spider-pro-silber-p-941.html

It is 131cm tall and for my height (184 cm) it is on the edge of comfort (wouldn't hurt if it were even taller, but didn't find such stand). It is very sturdy, doesn't allow keyboards to move once when placed, very easy to transport because it folds in itself, keyboard tiers goes in stand body and legs rotate and go besides stand body. Also has a mic stand suitable long on it's top. Lower tier is absolutely horizontal and upper tier is slightly tilted so it's very comfort to play that way, there is no strain in hands whatsoever. Also has two plastic directionals on it's body to get your cables through so there is no cable mess around me.

I tried Ultimate stands and they are sturdy and compact but short, upper tier is high enough, but to play on lower tier I have to strain my hands too low, that's unnaturally and it's difficult to play that way.

About rest of the gear, rather simple setup - L and R outputs to two channels in mixer, mixer to amplifier and amplifier to speakers. That's all.

I go with "the simpler, the better".

Lorenzo, that's way God invented beer - for us to have some balls, and for them (girls) to accept our balls. I mean, our lines, how to approach etc. he he Very Happy
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrike wrote:

Lorenzo, that's way God invented beer - for us to have some balls, and for them (girls) to accept our balls. I mean, our lines, how to approach etc. he he Very Happy

Cool Cool Cool
Voltan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
As I bought a second keyboard (an M3) recently, I'm looking for a new stand for those.
The problem is I'm like 195cm tall and I'm looking for one that would allow me to put both keyboards on comfortable levels.
And it should be a column stand, no Xs or Zs (I just don't like the look of them Wink ).
Any suggestions?
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:
Hi!

The problem is I'm like 195cm tall and I'm looking for one that would allow me to put both keyboards on comfortable levels.
Any suggestions?

How about this.. Idea

Voltan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
I'm definitly gettin' one of those Very Happy
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan, you should definitely build custom stand on your own.

Spider Pro is high, but just on the edge for my hight. For your it wont do.

And I don't know of any other higher stand.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm 1.85cm and I've got no problem with spider pro, you can use it as you like, I think it's a great stand.
maybe for 2 keybs, if you're taller than me, you should have some problems viewing the screen of the lower keyb...

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Diego, lower tier keyboard would probably be too low for this guy, 10 cm difference to us is a lot with Spider Pro. He would have to strain his hands unnaturally to play on lower keyboard.

Spider Pro is excellent stand, I said, the best I have ever tried and the highest one, but 195 cm... too much for it.

Custom build stand is way to go. I saw such examples of custom made stands that are so cleverly made and made real high and strong.

Take some strong pipes and start working, Voltan.

Regards, shrike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: