Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Padkontrol doesn't store User knob assignments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musikmachine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Padkontrol doesn't store User knob assignments Reply with quote

Tested this with Absynth and imposcar.I assigned some of the bottom eight pads first by their label such as main volume and resonance.I was using them in standalone mode.

Then i tried to set the user assignments up but once i've made an assignment and i change to one i previously assigned of the bottom eight,my initial user knob assignement is now the knob assignment i was just using!Lets say i assigned knob one to brightness(filter cutoff)which is 74 in imposcar and i assigned user 1 to 8 which is osc1.The knob assignement works but when i change to filter cutoff and back to osc1 the cc value of user1 pad is the same as filter cutoff!74.All the top user assignments get changed to thelast selected pad from the bottom eight.Why is this?I've checed the manual and i've checked i'm doing it correctly:

Setting,hold down knob1/2,turn off the pads that i don't want to assign,keep knob 1 assign held down and select the cc value for the pad that is lit.Repeat for other pads.

Like i say each time i select one o the bottom assignemets and i come back to the user assignment it has been changed to whatever pad/knob assignement i had just been using Confused

Its just the top eight pads,the bottom eight remember the assignments.Weird.I'll try playing around with different settings in the meantime.

Hope someone an help,i want to use the pk with my lappy to control softsynths.

Thanks,

Markus.
metastatik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure what User 1-8 is. Do you mean User Messages 1-5? Those have nothing to do with the knobs and x/y.

You can only use the bottom 8 pads to re-assign messages to the knobs and x/y.

Last edited by metastatik on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
musikmachine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metastatik wrote:
I’m not sure what User 1-8 is. Do you mean User Messages 1-5? Those have nothing to do with the knobs and x/y.

You can only use the bottom 8 pads to re-assign messages to the knobs and x/y.

Thanks for replying

Yeah thats right!What are they for then?At least i know it's not a fault Smile
metastatik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re for sending user defined MIDI messages. I use them to send CCs to control stuff in Live.

To set them up, you need the Editor. Go to the MIDI menu and select Edit Global Data. You can input the messages you want each of the user messages to send and then click Transmit to send them to your pK.

Drewzle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metastatik wrote:
I use them to send CCs to control stuff in Live.

i'm curious as to what control messages you chose to assign to the User Pads?
metastatik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them sending CCs 85 – 89…all on channel 1…all with a value of 127.

musikmachine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metastatik wrote:
They’re for sending user defined MIDI messages. I use them to send CCs to control stuff in Live.

To set them up, you need the Editor. Go to the MIDI menu and select Edit Global Data. You can input the messages you want each of the user messages to send and then click Transmit to send them to your pK.

Thanks metastatik.I'd skipped that in the manual but on assigning the knobs it doesn't say it's restricted to 9-16..

I'm still having problems though,i assign knob 1 to waveform 1 in imposcar,come out of setting and assign knob two to waveform 2 but when i press knob 1 and select the pad it reverts back to pitchbend Confused

Even if i save the scene.I double check the assignements and they maintain the assignements until i press knob assign and select the pad!Then it goes back to it's default assignment.I'm a little confused.I've checked the manual but i can't see anything i'm not doing!
metastatik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks metastatik.I'd skipped that in the manual but on assigning the knobs it doesn't say it's restricted to 9-16.

Sure it does…check page 19.
Quote:
I'm still having problems though,i assign knob 1 to waveform 1 in imposcar,come out of setting and assign knob two to waveform 2 but when i press knob 1 and select the pad it reverts back to pitchbend

You can’t press knob 1. Do you mean Knob 1 Assign? Well, if you press that and pad 9 it will assign the knob to pitch bend…that’s exactly what it’s supposed to do.
Quote:
Even if i save the scene.I double check the assignements and they maintain the assignements until i press knob assign and select the pad!

Exactly. Pressing Knob 1 Assign and hitting one of the bottom 8 pads will assign it to the function listed over top of the pad…pitch bend, main volume, etc. Like I said previously, you cannot change that. Hitting Knob 1 Assign and then pad 9 will always assign the knob to pitch bend.

You can use pitch bend, main volume and the other messages on the bottom 8 pads to do other things…but that has to be programmed into whatever you’re using it to control. For example, I could set up Live so that pitch bend controlled the level of track 1. But the pK would still be sending pitch bend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know metastatik,i've been looking at it all wrong Laughing

Page 25 threw me because it said the two knobs are freely assignable so i'm thinking i can have 16 different controller assignmentsx2.Is this not the case? I thought i could have more than two assignments buts it's two per pad right?

I can only have 1 value to each knob assigned to the pad such as filter cutoff?Anyway i think i'm gettin it now Very Happy
metastatik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Setting mode, you can assign a CC (or other type of message) to each knob. That’s 2 controls….one for each knob.

You can then use the feature described on page 19 to reassign the knobs to one of the 8 messages on the bottom 8 pads. That’s 8 more controls for a total of 10.

In Setting mode, you can turn off pads so they aren’t affected by the knobs…as described on page 25. Maybe that’s what’s tripping you up?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metastatik wrote:
In Setting mode, you can assign a CC (or other type of message) to each knob. That’s 2 controls….one for each knob.

You can then use the feature described on page 19 to reassign the knobs to one of the 8 messages on the bottom 8 pads. That’s 8 more controls for a total of 10.

In Setting mode, you can turn off pads so they aren’t affected by the knobs…as described on page 25. Maybe that’s what’s tripping you up?

Sorry yeah plus the bottom 8.Yeah i thought i could i could tie a knob to each pad with a different cc assignmentx2!I was looking at the pk as a controller and not a drum pad.I was thinking of using each scene for scales/octaves but also to control my softsynths with the knobs in each scene.Is there no way to override th bottom eight pads?
metastatik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure what you mean by “override”.

Can you make it so pressing Knob 1 Assign and then pad 9 assigns the knob to whatever control you want? No…it will always assign it to pitch bend.

Can you set up your software so that is responds differently to pitch bend? You should be able to…but it depends on the software. With Live for example, it’s very easy to assign pitch bend to control a volume fader or whatever you need.

So far though, I’ve just been speaking about what’s possible with the pK by itself. If you use an app like Bome’s MIDI Translator…you have WAY more control over how the pK works.

For example, translator could receive an incoming pitch bend signal and translate it to another message of your choosing.

Or you can make it so pressing and holding down a pad changes the function of the knobs, that would give you 17 functions per knob. You can assign a message to the knob in Setting mode…that’s 1 function per knob. To keep things simple, let’s say those functions were volume and pan for track 1.

You can set up a pad so that when you hold it down it changes the functions of the knobs and lets you control volume and pan for track 2. You can set up all 16 pads this way.

You can see how that works somewhat in the vid in my signature. On Scene 1 and Scene 4, we have a Shift pad that changes the function of the knobs and x/y pad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's much simpler to use my remote zero!I'll use the padkontrol for drums,i actually got it to trigger drums from my hardware but i still haven't got a power supply to use it standalone.Anyway thanks for clearing a few things up metastatik,bomes midi translator is the key which i'll have to look into if i have the time or the inclination Smile

Peace!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: