Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroKontrol won't Work (W/ Logic Studio or standalone)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ella_guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: MicroKontrol won't Work (W/ Logic Studio or standalone) Reply with quote

Hello,

So I recently picked up a used microkontrol and tried to set it up last night.
I'm using logic studio on a macbook pro (core 2 duo model) with leopard.

Previous to this I used a kontrol 49 with logic express on an iMac with no trouble whatsoever.

So the problem occurs when I connect it via USB. Logic Studio won't detect it. I tried adding the DC supply and this didn't help.

I then thought of rewriting the scene data within the MicroKontrol using the Editor/Librarian software from the korg website. When I try to transmit or receive data to/from the microkontrol I get a "Midi Timeout" message.

Next I tried rewriting the Firmware. I follow the steps and hold down the appropriate keys, but nothing happens. The onscreen message is supposed to change but doesn't.

Finally, when the MicroKontrol is connected via USB only the first 7 or so, keys actually work.

Are there any issues I need t be made aware? Intel or leopard compatibility etc? Would it make any difference if the person before me used it for Windows etc?

Any help with this is highly appreciated as this is driving me slightly crazy at the moment. Thanks.
haj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

microKontrol works in Logic native mode by default. If Logic doesn't detect it as native controller, go to controller setup menu and "rescan" all the surface.

It should remember the state from next time but if somehow doesn't, you should delete preference file. (I can't remember the exact name for the pref file, and I'm lazy to do search for that - go to "logic pro help" site and search for "control surface preference" or something like that, you'll get answer for the file name and its location)

With its native mode, microKontrol's own scene is completely ignored. And your worry about unit used with windows afects nothing on any operation, including non-Logic usage (other DAW or stand alone midi-controller etc)

For the native mode, check the manual for control surface. Note the description on the manual is incomplete and may not be very intuitive to understand. But the native mode can do much much more things than none-native mode. There are lots of bugs and some features explained in the manual don't work, however. (i.e plug-in mode, send mode etc is buggy as hell)

Another minues are, you can't use mod wheel (joystick Y) in native mode, unfortunately. If you're thinking its pads for drum input, forget it. The pads are no-good for drum input anyway, Logic or not. Pads are used as function switches in the native mode.

Implementation of native mode is more incomplete with Logic 8. The main encorder doesn't show anything unless you set the display value in the controller surface setting but the state won't remember (this seems to be happening to other controller as well).

Hardware wise, microKontrol's display contrast pod can easily gets dirty and this often cause no display on LCD. I saw some people suffered this problem (including myself). You can fix this only by changing the pod, which means you have to solder etc.. I tried to clean the pod but it didn't work, tried other wiring etc, ended up with soldering some spare pod. I think this is the biggest problem of the unit.

So, there are shortcomings, problems. But even then, I love my microKontol, it's a so kool unit. And the native mode for the Logic is VERY useful once you're getting used to.
ella_guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Haj, thanks for the reply.

I'm beginning to think there might be more wrong with my microkontrol.
If i use it as a standalone midi controller, its only the first 5 keys that work.
It doesn't seem to respond to any button presses either.

OSX only shows 2 arrows beneath the icon for the microkontrol, I think it should show 5.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm starting to think it might be a problem with the internals as opposed to software.
haj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound like something is wrong on the unit itself indeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: