Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi "Through" on padKontrol?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drewzle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Midi "Through" on padKontrol? Reply with quote

Hi guys

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to enable MIDI to be transmitted through the pK?

for example; i want to use a midi keyboard as a controller. i have put a MIDI cable from the Out of the keyboard to the In of the padKontrol. then i have a MIDI cable going from the Out of the padKontrol into my synth. however, it seems that the padKontrol is not sending along the note triggers (or anything) from the keyboard!

if someone could help me out, i'd really appreciate it

cheers
metastatik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI ports work in 2 different ways. If connected via USB, the MIDI ports become a USB MIDI interface. When powered by AC, the MIDI In doesn’t really do anything other than receive messages in for use in Native Mode.

So, to connect a controller to it to use with your software, you’d need to use USB. Then you’d just take one cable from the Out of the keys to the In on the pK and enable the pK’s MIDI In port in your software.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metastatik wrote:
When powered by AC, the MIDI In doesn’t really do anything other than receive messages in for use in Native Mode.

Sad

thanks for the help man, i appreciate the info

unfortunately i don't want to use this with a computer at all. i guess i will have to plug/unplug the pK/keyboard as i want to use each one. was hoping to simply pass the keys' triggers through the pk. ah well

cheers
Cpluse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metastatik wrote:
The MIDI ports work in 2 different ways. If connected via USB, the MIDI ports become a USB MIDI interface. When powered by AC, the MIDI In doesn’t really do anything other than receive messages in for use in Native Mode.

So, to connect a controller to it to use with your software, you’d need to use USB. Then you’d just take one cable from the Out of the keys to the In on the pK and enable the pK’s MIDI In port in your software.

TY,ty,ty this is what i needed to know. So everything should work with out the power cord. And just set to usb. Thanks again.
metastatik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Exactly.

And Drewzle, just for clarification…even if the pK did have a Thru port, it wouldn’t help you. A Thru doesn’t combine 2 signals, it simply echoes the signal received at the Input.

You can risk damaging your gear by disconnecting/reconnecting or get something that lets you combine/reroute your signals. A MIDI merge box, thru box or other type of MIDI patch bay would do that for you. If you’re using hardware, owning one (or more) of those is pretty essential since hardware tends to have very few MIDI ins and outs…even the most high end stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, i didn't realise you could damage your gear this way

I have been MIDI chaining my PadKontrol into a Yamaha QY-70, into a Roland MC-09, into a Roland SP-404. would you recommend a MIDI patch bay for this sort of set-up?

ideally i'd also have my MIDI keyboard controlling it all too, via it's channel select function

cheers man
metastatik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you got 4 outs…the pK, the QY, the MC and the keys. And you got 3 ins…the QY, the MC and the SP. If the keys have sounds you’re using, that would make 4 ins.

I don’t know of any 4 x 4 patch bays. There is a nice 3 x 8 Thru box made by MidiMan which might do the trick. But you’d probably be better off going with an 8 x 8 so you can add more gear down the road. I can recommend the Yamaha MJC8…easy to use and has presets so you can call up different routings at the press of a button.

Alternatively, if you think there’s a chance you might add a computer into the mix and some point…you might want to look into a MIDI interface that can be used standalone or with a computer. The only one I have experience with is the Edirol UM880 which is a solid unit. Has presets like the MJC8 and a bunch of other nice features like cable testers and a merge port. There’s also options from MOTU and M-Audio (MidiMan).

Try to find something used if possible as these units can get expensive. See if you can find a good deal and, if not, post back. I have an MJC8 ($50) and 3 x 8 Thru ($40) I could sell you.

If you’re leery of buying off Ebay or individuals…check these guys out. They constantly get new stuff in and have reasonable pricing. Do a search on “MIDI”.
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metastatik, thanks for dropping that info man. it seems there's more to learn everyday! i really appreciate the assistance

i am going to look into those options you suggested. i might drop you a PM if i'm keen to buy one of those units from you.
cuciu76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should connect a master keyabord, the m3-m and the padkontrol (with ac adaper) for control some m3's functionality (ribbon for example)...how have i connect the cables?

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: