Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling sounds from Roland XV5050 and using them on padKontr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGrass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Pulling sounds from Roland XV5050 and using them on padKontr Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Korg padKontrol and a Roland XV5050 sound module. I've been trying to pull the sounds off of the sound module and use them in my padKontrol. I've been trying this for a week or so now. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I hooked up the MIDI out from the padkontrol and MIDI in with the Roland. I installed the padKontrol Editor Libranrian. Here is my setup if that is any assistance to helping me.

iMac
Roland XV5050 sound module
Korg padKontrol
Mbox2mini w/protools software
Yamaha PSR 1500
Rokit 5 monitors.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"pull the sounds off the sound module"

Er.. the padkontrol is not a sampler.

You send messages *from* the pK *to* the sound module. The sounds come out of the sound module.

You can't magically turn a pK into a sound module.
TagPass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MrGrass --

I see this question come up a lot, and I guess if you're new to MIDI, you might have some trouble understanding what everything does (or is supposed to do!).

With your setup, think of it like this: The XV5050 is your sound source, and the padKONTROL is your input device (like the keys of a keyboard). The padKONTROL doesn't sample sounds (as an MPC would) and doesn't make any sounds on its own -- it needs to be connected to a sound source via MIDI -- as you've done.

So the next step is to make sure the Roland understands the input it will be receiving at its MIDI In port. To do this, you need to set the padKontrol to the same MIDI channel as the XV. After you've made sure the padKontrol is properly connected to your COMPUTER, use the Editor to call up a basic scene -- something like "GM Drums".

Then switch the XV to a drum set and press the pads -- as long as both are set to the same MIDI channel number, you should be hearing XV drum sounds whenever you play the pads.

I hope this helps. Some of us have been at this MIDI stuff for so long it seems like second nature, so we sometimes lose perspective that you've got to start off somewhere. And once you've got a solid foundation in understanding things like MIDI channels, note numbers, and CC messages, you'll find working with the padKontrol to be very easy and versatile.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: