Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using More than One R3 patch in a song with MIDI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zampe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Using More than One R3 patch in a song with MIDI Reply with quote

I have set up a MIDI multi instrument in logic to use with my R3 just as I have done with other keyboards I own. However, with the R3 it seems the program change message is not working properly.

Logic and the R3 speak to eachother perfectly when they are both on the same MIDI channel. When I am on my logic track that corresponds to MIDI channel 1 and the R3 is set to channel 1 everything seems to work fine. For example if i change the program in logic it is instantly changes on the R3 and vice versa. However when I then move to the next track in Logic corresponding to MIDI channel 2, to access a new sound while maintaining the patch on channel 1, nothing happens. I have to go into the R3 menu and manually change it to channel 2 in order to then work on that channel. This should be done automatically as it does with all my other keyboards.

I have made sure that i have 'program changes' ENABLED in the MIDI menu of the R3 as well as SYSEX. I have been through every menu and read the manual 100 times, please help!!!

im 99% sure this issue is on the R3 and not in Logic because it works perfectly with my other keyboards in this same setup.

Last edited by zampe on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R3 is not multitimbral, it can only respond to one MIDI channel at a time. What you described is perfectly normal.

What are your other keyboards? I am guessing they are multitimbral.
zampe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i see, so what is the best way to record multiple tracks using different patches from the R3 into a song, keeping in mind that I want to be able to edit with MIDI and not just Audio??

Record the MIDI one track one at a time and then bounce them to audio but save the MIDI tracks in case i want to edit later?

Last edited by zampe on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
zampe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to sum up:

I want to use a few different R3 sounds in one song that I am creating in Logic. I want them to be MIDI tracks and not just Audio tracks.
thedvs01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meatballfulton wrote:
The R3 is not multitimbral, it can only respond to one MIDI channel at a time. What you described is perfectly normal.

What are your other keyboards? I am guessing they are multitimbral.

Actually I'm pretty sure you can assign each timbre to its own MIDI channel. there are only two timbres, however.
thedvs01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zampe wrote:
Record the MIDI one track one at a time and then bounce them to audio but save the MIDI tracks in case i want to edit later?

yes that is probably your best solution
djestouff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedvs01 wrote:
zampe wrote:

thats how i've been recording with my r3/mpc set up, but how would i go about assigning each timbre to separate midi channels? would this allow me to have, for example, bass on timbre 1 and lead on timbre 2, and play both through midi at the same time?
thedvs01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djestouff wrote:
thedvs01 wrote:
zampe wrote:

thats how i've been recording with my r3/mpc set up, but how would i go about assigning each timbre to separate midi channels? would this allow me to have, for example, bass on timbre 1 and lead on timbre 2, and play both through midi at the same time?

I'm not positive that you can assign each timbre it's own MIDI channel, but I seem to remember reading that in the manual.

If you can though, then yes you could have a bass on one channel and a lead on the other. But, you bass and your lead wouldn't have as much depth to the sounds, as most of the patches use both timbres layered over eachother.

The MIDI channel setting could very well be global though, but I seem to remember this being possible. If it is, try soloing one of your timbres and then turning the page select wheel until you see something about MIDI channel, see if you can assign them by timbre instead of globally
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my earlier reply above, I didn't know this was even possible, my bad. See page 65 of the R3 manual.

MIDI channel setting – use the R3 as a multi-timbral sound module
You can specify separate MIDI channels for each of the two timbres, and use the R3 as a multi-timbral sound module that can be driven from your external MIDI sequencer or controller.
1 Set the R3 to multi-timbral operation.
Use the [PAGE] dial to select the 1. Voice page, and use knob [1] (“Mode”) to select Multi.
2 Set the MIDI channel for timbre 2.
When you use knob [1] to select Multi, knob [2] will change to “T2MIDIch.”
Use knob [2] to set the MIDI channel of timbre 2.
3 Go to the 42. MIDI page and use knob [1] (MIDI Ch) to set the MIDI channel of timbre 1.
4 Set the appropriate MIDI channels on the external MIDI device.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: