Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to edit the 'drum' sounds on microkorg?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantomlimbpain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: how to edit the 'drum' sounds on microkorg? Reply with quote

How one of the presets on the house/techno setting has a drumbeat in it, how do i edit and change those arpeggios?

its baffling me.

thank you!
puremagic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not quite sure what you want to do (im pretty new to syths) but when i first heard those presests i quickly found out how to remove the drums or to isolate them. Is this what you want? because i can run you through that if you please.

If you want something else i am of no use to you Razz
matt808

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely be interested in learning more about programming up some drum type patches in microkorg. I have no doubt it is capable of some nice (but simple) drum sounds, and with the arpeggiator, it should be able to do some useful patterns with them. I have tinkered a bit, but never got really that far towards something I liked.

What waveform would be good to start with? Square? Sin? Tri? Any pointers to other references would be appreciated. It would be so neat to create some kraftwerk like drum patches.
matt808

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I sort of answered my own question when I clicked on the sonic state video that somebody else posted recently. Here is the link to the post:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27030

I tinkered around a bit on my microkorg, following the directions in the video and have come up with some usable drum sounds. The key limitations to contend with are the shorter range of the keyboard (you have to tune the filters to transition between bass drum/snare/cymbals a little quicker across the keys), and the apeggiator having only 8 steps instead of 16 (you have to get a little creative about programming a beat that is 8 or 16 beats long).

Despite this, I have been successful in getting what I wanted; hacking the MicroKorg to do some 808 style drum sounds without having to sample each drum sound individually.

I had no idea it could be that accessible, coming from the X5D/Wavetable/PCM world, I thought that I would only be able to produce one type of drum sound per preset (i.e. snare only, or BD only for any given preset). I may now take a shot at programming some drums on my X5D the same way to see how they sound. No resonant filters and no arpeggiator, but it could still be interesting.

So this is really a "Nevermind, I found it and am off and running." post.

If anybody has any notes to contribute pertaining to adapting the video tutorial to the microKorg, please feel free to post them here. I will be doing the same as I get better at tuning the presets into exactly what I am looking for.
chopchoponionhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear I don't seem to be doing very well. I started with the A51 patch and changed the OSC1 to a Sine Wave. I presume EG1 on the MS2000 is the Filter EG on the Microkorg (or is it?) and when I set the Patch 1 destination to Pitch it sounds nothing like it does on the video. Then I got completely lost.

Oh my days.
matt808

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. That all sounds about right, but I don't have access to my microkorg at the moment. One advantage of the ms2000 over the mk is its patch initialization function. One may exist but I don't know how to do it.

The sysex files at the tutorial video are a great start. Without knowing more, I would suggest trying that out.
4NDRW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i was going to recommend that video... but you found it yourself!

that guys pretty cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: