Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i record from my microkorg to my PC??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpyouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: How do i record from my microkorg to my PC?? Reply with quote

recently purchased microkorg, however it came with no software or cables. is it possible to connect to my PC? if so how and what do i need?
cheers
GrimLuka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends.. What do you want to do? MIDI control? Recording? Adding effects? What is your computer? What audio interface do you intend to use with the mK?

It is, however, very simple and very easy to connect to a PC.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find this useful reading :

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Daz.
wpyouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks 4 the reply.
at the moment im using a laptop (no mac) i simply want to record beats from the micro to the laptop so i can loop the sounds i recorded, then play over them.
i got recommended
Tascam USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface US-122L
will this do the trick?
GrimLuka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz' link will be very useful information, and a good place to start.

Otherwise, the us122l is a good interface if you're starting out. Once you get this installed, then you can simply plug the mK's audio out in the us122l's line ins and the rest depends on your software. Basically, it's press record and go.

If you want to record loops with arps or seqs then you will want to tune your tempo to the computer's. This will be done via MIDI. You will find this info in the mK manual.
wanmonei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimLuka wrote:
Daz' link will be very useful information, and a good place to start.

Otherwise, the us122l is a good interface if you're starting out. Once you get this installed, then you can simply plug the mK's audio out in the us122l's line ins and the rest depends on your software. Basically, it's press record and go.

If you want to record loops with arps or seqs then you will want to tune your tempo to the computer's. This will be done via MIDI. You will find this info in the mK manual.

I'm sorry for the question but what would be the difference between recording it directly against via MIDI???

I'm reading that Tweak page like crazy... Is an awsome page
logic80

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: microkorg midi audio communication Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting the Microkorg. I want to record its audio in ableton live but also be able to use it as midi controller in ableton and reason. Is this both possible with the tascam US122L? Would I need to plug/unplug cables when switching from recording audio to sending midi signals? I have a 2,4Ghz Imac. Would connecting by usb be smart? (is firewire a good option?).
Thanks for reading this and thanks for your answers.

Cheers
logic80

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone? please
4NDRW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sorry for the question but what would be the difference between recording it directly against via MIDI???

if you record with midi first, you can quantise and edit the notes if you wish.
if you save the midi track, you are also free to change the patch later and re-record it.

Quote:
I am thinking about getting the Microkorg. I want to record its audio in ableton live but also be able to use it as midi controller in ableton and reason. Is this both possible with the tascam US122L? Would I need to plug/unplug cables when switching from recording audio to sending midi signals? I have a 2,4Ghz Imac. Would connecting by usb be smart? (is firewire a good option?).
Thanks for reading this and thanks for your answers.

the midi and the audio parts of the interface would be independant.
you can leave the audio and the midi connected at all times, and choose with your software what you are interested in.
i suggest setting your micro-korg to "Local-OFF" in the global menu (i have an ms2000 and i assume this is similar)
and then setting up a midi track in your sequencer with your micro-korg as the output. you can then select this track when you want to control your micro-korg, or select another software track if you wish to control that...

that way, when you are controlling software, you dont control your korg at the same time, and vice versa.

as for usb, i dont know much about external audio interfaces, but my understanding is, USB is fine for stereo in/out and midi, i think firewire is a must when you are recording/playingback many inputs/outputs at a time...
i think USB interfaces are cheaper too.
but maybe someone who knows a little more can say something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: