Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I Mix Down a COMBI into a single PROGRAM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Can I Mix Down a COMBI into a single PROGRAM? Reply with quote

Hello.

I like so many of the COMBI's and would love to use more more than just one in my song.

Is there a way to Mix down (for lack of a better term) a COMBI and load it to a single track in a song while in SEQUENCER mode?

Thank You.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mix down (for lack of a better term) a COMBI and load it to a single track in a song

No.

You can't compress combi anyhow. You can try doubling programs, for example, if you have two single oscillated programs in one combi, you can merge those two programs in one, that's one way.
Or you can try sampling combi. Strip all effects in combi, go to sampling, sample enough keys to cover entire key range and make program of it.
That way you'll have only one program (meaning only one timbre in sequencer later) out of entire combi.
But I highly doubt you'll get good sound from sampling combi...
Robot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You.

Please explain more about:
shrike wrote:

You can try doubling programs, for example, if you have two single oscillated programs in one combi, you can merge those two programs in one, that's one way.

How can I merge two programs into one?

I'm still new. and just started learning this beautiful Machine!

Thanks again.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program, MENU, P1: Edit - Basic, Oscillator mode: single, double and drums.
There you can see does particular program has one oscillator or two. If it has one, you can merge that program with another one that also has one oscillator assigned. You do that by choosing "Copy oscillator" from Program Basic upper right dropping menu, all you need to do is choose program which you want to copy oscillator from.

But to save you trouble, you sad you are new to Extreme's world - there is no way you will make it run many complex combi in sequencer. You can try reducing number of programs in combi by this merging, so you can assign two, three or more combis, or you can try sampling combis, but they are made to be complex with effects, arpeggiators, layering - you can't recreate all in sequencer.
But it doesn't hurt to try. Very Happy
Robot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the time.

I really need to start just experimenting with the TE.
sam metal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told in sequencer mode you can play up to 16 programs at once? I have yet to try this, however.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's one non-said benefit of sequencer, you can use it not just for playing songs but to play combis with 16 timbres, save them as songs and have 200 powerful combis, with 16 timbres, in one set. More than enough.

The setup is rather basic, assign programs to timbres, timbres to same midi channel, all other adjustments (key range, velocity, effects etc.) and save as song.

One handful thing - you can change setups IN ONE SONG. For example:
1. assign piano to timbre 1, strings to timbre 16, both to MIDI channel 1,
2. organ to timbre 2, strings to timbre 15, both to MIDI channel 2,
3. brass to timbre 3, trumpet to timbre 14, sax to timbre 13, strings to timbre 12, all four to midi channel 3 etc etc.

See what you get? you have one song with multiple setups, so you play your song with piano and string, need to change to organ and string, just change to timbre 2, after that need to play some big band solo, go to timbre 3 - every timbre will play sounds that are assigned to it's midi channel.

And there is no fuss with midi channel in general, not to worry, only if you have two keyboards midi connected but can be arranged even then.

Those combis in sequencer are useful if you don't have two boards, as I see it.

Only thing that can be a little annoying is milisecond of silence needed to change from timbre to timbre - it won't happen if you play something, lift your hand just for a moment and change timbre while lifting and you are good to go, with some practice you can change it and listener won't notice the sound break.

Hope this explained what you wanted to know, sam metal.

Regards,
shrike
stultzsweeties

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Can I Mix Down a COMBI into a single Program? Reply with quote

Shrike,
So if organ is timbre 1, midi 3
piano is timbre 2, midi 2
trumpet is timbre 4, midi 5
choir is timbre 13, midi 3
banjo is timbre 14, midi 2
violin is timbre 15, midi 3

now if I select timbre 1, the organ,choir and violin play and the others don't
If I select timbre 14, then only the piano and banjo play
Is this correct?
Does a Combination do that also?
Can 16 midi channels be programmed like a Combination where you can assign EFX to each seperate timbre?
I've never understood what the sequencer is supposed to do.
Thanks,
Monte
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now if I select timbre 1, the organ,choir and violin play and the others don't
If I select timbre 14, then only the piano and banjo play
Is this correct?

Yes, it is.

Quote:
Does a Combination do that also?

No, it doesn't, in Combi if you change midi channel, you have to assign that midi channel in Global to be the main channel, otherwise you'll hear no sound. But if you are using two or three or more boards, you'll use multiple midi channels to disperse timbres to those boards.

Quote:

Can 16 midi channels be programmed like a Combination where you can assign EFX to each seperate timbre?

In Combi and in Sequencer you have 5 insert effects and two master effects - in each of them you can assign timbres to route to specific insert effects.

Quote:
I've never understood what the sequencer is supposed to do.

To allow you to create songs. And is pretty powerful, IMO, at least this one in Extreme. But, as everything else in workstations, we can use it for some other purposes, as to play combis with 16 timbres with it.
stultzsweeties

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Can I Mix Down a COMBI into a single PROGRAM Reply with quote

So when you make a song with the sequencer you have to hit record first before it will start recording like in sample, in other words you're on hold with your sequencer until you are ready to record. So if I have a song that we are presently playing like Penny Lane, when the trumpet solo is ready to start and I need the piano to keep playing the chords during the solo can I coincide the sequencer to take over that part while I play the solo? Or is there another thing I should do to achieve this.
Monte
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you have to hit record first before it will start recording like in sample

Yes, just like in Sampling, hit Rec/write and Start/stop and play.

Quote:

when the trumpet solo is ready to start and I need the piano to keep playing the chords during the solo can I coincide the sequencer to take over that part while I play the solo

Yes, you can do that, record piano chords section, press play and play trumpet alongside. But! You have a real living bend - you'll find it's very hard to synchronize your song tempo (in this particular case, speed of changing and triggering piano chords) with your drummer or the other way around.

Quote:
Or is there another thing I should do to achieve this.

You can use patterns and trigger them by just pressing a key or multiple keys and pattern will play previously recorded data (piano chords in this case). You can also make an arppegiator in program or combi also. But, as said above, you'll find it hard to synchronize it with live playing and your drummer will probably freak out when he will have to listen to your tempo.

It's hard even when you start the song - let's say you start first with some sequence or pattern and your drummer catches a beat and tempo. Now, he has to be very focused on what your keyboard is doing to stay in tempo with it. And almost every drummer tends to oscillate in tempo for small, but mathematically precise time - keyboard doesn't do that. That's the problem.

Try it and you'll see (one of the drums flying to your Extreme... Very Happy )
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also achieve this by SAMPLING the combi, and then make a multisample out of it and assigning it to a program. Would take a little bit of time, but if you watch the DVD manual it pretty much shows you how to do this.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could also achieve this by SAMPLING the combi, and then make a multisample out of it and assigning it to a program.

Yes, you can do that, no problem there, but, as said before, what will you get with that? For example, if you have one string, one brass, two trumpets, and two saxes in one combi, there is a good chance that each of those sounds has it's own velocity settings. If you sample that combi, you'll get samples that will be flat. Of course, you can assign new velocity settings in program that uses this new sample, but new velocity will be equal for all sounds mixed in that sample. See my point? You'll degrade previous character of each sound.

And this is just velocity. There are so many other things dedicated to each sound in it's own unique way. And effects are story for itself, sampling sounds with effects, I mean.

You can try, but will be disappointed with the result. I was...

Bottom of all, what's the point?

Eight timbres are usually enough for anything, even if you use multi layered sounds, thirds... And even if combi with eight timbres isn't enough, you can always use sequencer as combi, now with 16 timbres. Just make sounds settings and save it as a song.

Now, I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but tried sampling the way you described so I know what are disadvantages. But you try for yourself, maybe it will work for you the way you want.

Regards,

shrike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: