Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg R3 Vocoder (need advice!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzcat,

In layman's terms the vocoder is just a set of 16 bandpass filters where the gain of each filter is controlled by the frequency content of a modulating signal (in the classic case, a voice).

You could think of it as 16 envelope followers each controlling one bandpass filter.

Of course that assumes a layman knows what an envelope follower is Cool
slammah2012

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt the envelope follower be the guy that fills the mailbox with flyers and adverts???
I already put up a sine, ( with emphasis on the HPF (Halt Postal Flyers))
I tried filtering...
I tried adjusting the damn gate ...
and even had set"Sawtooth" to sample and Hold any envelope follower...
but failed there as "Sawtooths" attack was set either to slow or release to quick.....

I still get these damn Adverts???
Help
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slammah2012 wrote:
Wouldnt the envelope follower be the guy that fills the mailbox with flyers and adverts???
I already put up a sine, ( with emphasis on the HPF (Halt Postal Flyers))
I tried filtering...
I tried adjusting the damn gate ...
and even had set"Sawtooth" to sample and Hold any envelope follower...
but failed there as "Sawtooths" attack was set either to slow or release to quick.....

I still get these damn Adverts???
Help

hahaha... what a geeky joke... but I LOL'd.

long live synth nerds.
dr_boehm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jazzcat,

the changing the vol of the filters change the sound of the vocoder. You can think of an equalizer with 16 bands. Changing the volume of one filter band in the vocoder is much like changing the filter band of the equalizer.

With the pan you can position the 16 bands in the sterea panorama. There are presets where the bands alternate from the left to the right side. This gives a much wider sounding effect (i like it very much) but decreases the understandability of the vocoder a little bit.

Hope this helps.

Ciao, Dirk.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magneto, HPF Level is the High Pass Filter level of your direct voice, so that is what is passing through some of your voice. You need to turn it off completely if you don't want your voice to go through. There are other ways to make the vocoder more understandable without passing through your voice. The most important is to use a wave with lots of high frequency harmonics, don't let these harmonics get filtered out, and then enhance then with resonance and amp distortion. Yes, that's right, distortion of the carrier make the vocoder effect _more_ understandable because it enhances high frequency harmonics. Then be sparing of other effects. Go for a dry sound so that the vocal doesn't get muddy.
howifeel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Band Pass Reply with quote

The way I see the band pass panning (at least as my ear hears it), is like an equalizer. This may sound ridiculous, but if you look at the graphic equalizer of windows media player 10, I see it as, like panning 31hz hard right, 62hz hard left 125 hz hard right (etc, etc). Therefore the gain of a respective band(frequency) is restricted to a single speaker or side of the headphone. If played mono phonically in a stage setting, then there is 50 percent of that band presence (in my opinion). However, putting all bands at the center sounds kind of sour. Therefore, I just apply a gentler pan to each band for more presence of each band (frequency of an eq if you please) saving the dryness of all panned center. The vocoder seems clearer to me. Unfortunately, I am selling mine (R3) because I found that my Reaktor 5.0 has a vocoder (awesome!!). Why didn't I think of that before?! Can't use it on the stage though (could, but don't want to mess with a laptop trigger on stage).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: