Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! -nub question-

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiercenomad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: HELP! -nub question- Reply with quote

I recently got the R3 (my first synth). When I latch something and then attempt to switch to another voice to layer over it, the sound stops or switches. Is there any way to layer different sound programs over each other on the R3? Also is it possible to record something more complex than a latched arpeggiator (such as a string of notes or chord progression), and have that loop while I move to another program and play something else on top? If not, must I just record everything into a program like fruity loops and layer everything on the computer?

On another note, sometimes when I use the menu to alter things other than the 4 presets (the arp, for example), the big wheel won't be able to choose each group of programs (bass, lead, pads), but will skip over some as I turn it. (I am returning the menu knob to the name of the program before I attempt to use the bigger knob). Once even my down octave button ceased to function. However, if I turn the R3 off and on, everything works again, so I don't really understand the problem.

Thanks!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A synth like the R3 is more designed to do single parts of a song at a time, such as vocoder effects or arpeggios, and it's great for that. It works best in combination with other multitimbral synths with high polyphony and other sequencers.

The X50 for example is better for doing songs with an external sequencer than an R3 because it has a lot more features for that purpose: GM midi, 16 tracks/channels, 64 part polyphony, 512 programs, 40 drum kit, VST driver. Even a cheap Casio WK-110 with similar features is better for creating whole songs than the R3. But now if you want a great vocoder and good virtual analog engine based on the Radias to create cool techno voices, the R3 is superior for its price. That's why I bought one, but I also have an X-50, Yamaha PSR-S900, and Cubase for music production.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: