Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sync drift in KP3 OS 2.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven gali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Sync drift in KP3 OS 2.0 Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I thought that the sync drift issues were completely fixed in OS 2.0 so this may be caused by something I'm doing:

I have two samples assigned, one sampled from the outside and the other resampled from the internal drum loop. I had to offset the drum loop by +6 to get it in sync with the first sample, which is offset -4. It all sounds tight until a few minutes later - as I keep working with it and cue the samples in and out I notice they start drifting and very noticeably so! Pressing ALIGN makes it all better but I thought internal samples should never get out of sync, considering they're running of the same clock and with the same sample size.

That is unless shifting samples actually shortens/lengthens them? I always thought that shifting samples keeps them the same length, just moves the sampled window back and forth. Could it be that shifting samples actually just shifts their start point, and not the end point?

Edit: clarified the subject line!
maako

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual is a little fuzzy, but it says
Code:
Start Point setting
1. The SHIFT button will be lit and the specified SAMPLE BANK button will change to blinking green. The display will show the loop start point setting.
2. Use the PROGRAM/BPM knob to adjust the start point in steps of 1/32nd of a beat, over a range of ± 1 beat.

In my experience it adds and deducts silent space, rather than moving the sample right or left..
I might be wrong, but it would explain your drifting samples.
sven gali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that would make sense (although to my ears the drift seems to be too slow to be affected by that), I'll play with it some more and see if it happens without sample shifts.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this little feature. For me it seems to actually move it right or left...Adding or deducting silent space hmmmm Think .....it changes the start point in either case, at least in my experience.
sven gali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
I like this little feature. For me it seems to actually move it right or left...Adding or deducting silent space hmmmm Think .....it changes the start point in either case, at least in my experience.

Well, if it only moved the start point and not padded the sample with silent space (or as I thought originally wrapped the sample and added it to the back) then the lengths of samples would vary and they would quickly go out of sync with each other. Another way they might be kept in sync is by stretching the shortened sample to retain the same length. So many options... Smile
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven gali wrote:
SMK wrote:

Well, if it only moved the start point and not padded the sample with silent space (or as I thought originally wrapped the sample and added it to the back) then the lengths of samples would vary and they would quickly go out of sync with each other. Another way they might be kept in sync is by stretching the shortened sample to retain the same length. So many options... Smile

I've just noticed a cool change and I've been happy with it. Something changes in the sound/sample...thus creating a new sound...I'm happy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: