Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Korg Reps: Are there any upcoming changes to the Oasys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertPlatinum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: To Korg Reps: Are there any upcoming changes to the Oasys Reply with quote

I am wondering if there is going to be an Oasys that lets you use 4gigs of ram instead of the current 2?

Also is there a 2nd version of the Oasys in the works?

CPU Upgraded version for instance 2.8ghz to 3.0ghz quadcore processor?

Just wondering basically if I should wait to get my Oasys for a while.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but in general we are not able to offer information on future product plans.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
RobertPlatinum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Thanks for the reply Reply with quote

I've never seen anybody respond that fast thanks. I guess I have to take my chances huh?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg normally makes big keyboard announcements at the Winter NAMM show, which this year is Jan 17-20th. If nothing is announced you are probably good for at least one year.

I am not sure whether Korg will ever create an OASYS 2. Many people had such a bad reaction to the price of the current OASYS, I am not sure there would be a market for an OASYS 2.

In my mind, there is a possibility that Korg might update some of the internal components in the OASYS. This could be done based on sourcing requirements. For example, Korg might increase the size of the internal hard drive simply because they can no longer buy the smaller drives (that is what happened with the Triton Studio). If Korg did change the hardware due to sourcing problems with existing components, there is a good chance they would not announce it, or would only announce it when they were sure most of the existing stock were sold.

If Korg were to make BIG changes in the hardware -- i.e. changes that would drastically increase the performance of the product -- they probably would release a new model.

Bottom line, no one but Korg really knows, and they won't ever tell.

What you might consider to "hedge" your purchase is to consider buying a used OASYS. You can really save a lot of money, and the hit would not be as hard if Korg released a new model.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
I am not sure whether Korg will ever create an OASYS 2. Many people had such a bad reaction to the price of the current OASYS, I am not sure there would be a market for an OASYS 2.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I wanted to address the point about the reaction to the price of the OASYS. The OASYS has sold pretty well over the past two and a half years; the price hasn't been the barrier that some thought it would be. Not a surprise, since it's in line with the inflation-adjusted prices of many classic synths, including the Minimoog (yes, the Mini's list price, $1495 in 1970 dollars, would be almost $8,400 today!), the OB8 and Matrix 12, the K2500 and K2600, etc. - and about half of the inflation-adjusted prices of the Prophet V and Emulator II.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
RobertPlatinum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Price should never be an issue. . . Reply with quote

Price should never be an issue when the item in question has more value(benefit) than cost. I've been using a roland xp-80 for the past ten years. I have managed to get 6 songs on the local radio station, win a national title in music composition, and have the number 7 East Coast Rap song (February 8-14, 2002) in the U.S. on the old MP3.com. All with the dated sounds of the xp-80. I can only dream of what can be done with improved sounds.

I believe the benefit to me would be greater than the cost already. But if I only have to wait another 2 to 3 weeks for knowledge of an upgrade or not I can do it. But then again knowing me I'll probably have an Oasys next week. Either way I think it will still be cool.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats good to read Dan. I hope the Oasys project lives on. I will be the first to buy a multi processor Oasys if that happens in a few years - I'd also keep the original Oasys i have. The good thing about all the current updates is... i think, that they will be able to pick them up and drop them into the multicore O with some fine tuning for the new processor. I guess what im trying to say here is that it might not be that big a job - all the existing software is fantastic give or take a sequencer or two lol.

The other thing that Dan mentioned once, as a joke of course, was MOD-7 version 2.. i thought to myself could that really happen? Actaully, arent all the current physical modelled instruments on the Oasys-CX3, AL-1 STR-1- sort of like version 2 of the Z1 models?

Was also good to read in another thread that a new batch of Oasys synths were on the assembly line for distribution - yep, the O is sell irrespective of price.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oasys always sounds like $8K every time I hear mine Cool
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I wanted to address the point about the reaction to the price of the OASYS. The OASYS has sold pretty well over the past two and a half years; the price hasn't been the barrier that some thought it would be.

I think there are many people who still believe "no synth should ever cost more than $4,000". They have just been so conditioned around that price point, they can't imagine anything more expensive.

What would really help is if Yamaha and/or Roland would release an $8,000 workstation. If they did, some people wouldn't be so unrealistic in their expectations regarding what an MI manufacturer can put in an $8,000 keyboard.
KarmaKazi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: To Korg Reps: Are there any upcoming changes to the Oasys Reply with quote

Neko

KarmaKazi
jayS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neko, Neko, what to say? Wait, when did Neko become a synth?

Read on if you care, but I don't advise it. Just have some time between classes, and most likely a biased opinion about Neko.

Neko eminates thoughts of a laptop computer, audio interface, and quite nice midi controller in one box. For these things which I already own, I can attest that I payed quite a sum lower than that which would have purchased a Neko. Now either way we're going have to add the price of softsynths, sequencing/editing/recording/etc/ programs, some sort of sampling management (however you choose to do so) etc.

Oasys however brings thoughts of a workstation that brings all of the aforementioned aspects into one COHESIVE working unit. It doesn't act as a computer, in an (sometimes feeble) attempt to integrate many different products from many different manufacturers. Not to mention there is no cost for high quality $$$$$ samples (aside from any that you may choose to purchase, merely out of preference).

Oh wait, now we add all of the synth engines that Oasys implements, and their integral functionality.

Granted Neko comes with a few samples, a few integrated programs (no more integrated than those on my PC, however), but it is no where near being able to be called a workstation keyboard, in my humble opinion.
KarmaKazi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: What happened to this thread... Reply with quote

Prophet 10

(I know its not a workstation, but I own one... since 1981)

KarmaKazi
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a lot less cash, I think the Neko's kid brother, Miko, is kind of cool. Haven't tried it, though. I like the idea of a portable computer with keys. Yeah, yeah - a laptop and USB keyboard could work. Okay, I like the idea of a touchscreen. Very Happy
KarmaKazi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Oasys and to the flag Reply with quote

To be certain, I am here for Oasys and to the flag for which is stands.

KamaKazi
RobertPlatinum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all are silly Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: