Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on starter keyboard for a friend...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Advice on starter keyboard for a friend... Reply with quote

Hey All

A mate has contacted me this morning asking for some advice on what keyboard he should consider for his two daughters who are both learners. Here's the email...
Quote:

I am looking to purchase a keyboard either new or 2nd hand.

It will be used by my 2 step daughters who have some keyboard experience and both read music well and by myself who is a complete beginner.

Am therefore looking for a keyboard that will help them develop as players and will assist my learning progress, which will be slow as I will be teaching myself!

Have seen some keyboards which come with the Yamaha Education Suite etc but when looking on Ebay there are so many different keyboards I am totally lost.

Can you give me some suggestions as I say new or used and perhaps what makes / models I should look at or avoid.

To be honest I am not looking to spend a fortune as not certain I will have the time to devote to it.

To be honest, I have no clue as to what I could suggest, but he has got back to me with his budget - which is around the £100-£150 mark. I guess he may spend more than that if we were to suggest a fantastic deal, and he would also consider second hand from someone on here or eBay.

Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated, many thanks all.

John
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,
A very similar post has been started in General Music labeled Need Help (or something) and a lot of people have responded to it. I think that thread will help you out a bunch.
what I posted on there and others agreed with, is that either go for a Yamaha. Which can be found basically anywhere for very reasonable prices. Or look for a Korg Karma. although they aren't being made any more you should be able to still find some on E-bay or Craigslist. I saw one on there for around 300$ USD. I don't know how much 150 marks is so i can't help you much there.
but good luck and check out that thread! Very Happy

Pura Vida
DJ Cool
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That price point really limits what options are available. I recommend the Casio WK-110. This has 76 keys, more than most portables, and it includes the keyboard stand and A/C adapter, which is a significant additional price for the Yamaha portables. The WK-110 also includes a song book and software for connection to a PC via USB-midi. The WK-110 is no toy keyboard. It also can be run on battery power for practice and performance with quick setup at remote locations.

He should be able to find it new a bit below his price range if he shops around. That should leave some room for a nice padded bench seat, a sustain pedal, and other important accessories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: