Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MICROKORG and STEP SEQUENCER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonyeah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: MICROKORG and STEP SEQUENCER Reply with quote

Dear All,
I am about to purchase a Microkorg but i would like to check before one point.
I know there is no step sequencer on the MicroKorg but i would really love to be able to make loops and add/change notes on each steps of such loops (in fact use the microkorg as a roland "TR mode"). I think this is a really good way to compose.
SO, i was thinking to plug a little drum machine or step sequencer (like yamaha QY20) via midi in on the microkorg so i could make midi loops and control the sounds of the microkorg with such drum machine and change pitch, modulation, or whatsoever on each steps ?

Is this possible?

I have another little question which may seem stupid : could you play a drum loop on the microkorg and play synth sounds in the same time?

Thank you very much in advance for advices,

BEst,
Simon
Thomas A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: MICROKORG and STEP SEQUENCER Reply with quote

simonyeah wrote:
Dear All,
I am about to purchase a Microkorg but i would like to check before one point.
I know there is no step sequencer on the MicroKorg but i would really love to be able to make loops and add/change notes on each steps of such loops (in fact use the microkorg as a roland "TR mode"). I think this is a really good way to compose.
SO, i was thinking to plug a little drum machine or step sequencer (like yamaha QY20) via midi in on the microkorg so i could make midi loops and control the sounds of the microkorg with such drum machine and change pitch, modulation, or whatsoever on each steps ?

Is this possible?

Hi Simon,
the best and cheapest solution is to purchase a used Electribe ESX (or new, they are cheap these days). It's perfect for sequencing your Microkorg like a TR. Beside this, you got much more possibilities by additional tracks and by playing your own samples. Fortunately, you need no mixer: Simply feed the Microkorgs audio into the ESX, then hit the Audio In Thru button and you'll hear the Microkorg and the Tribe together. Connect both with a MIDI cable and they'll run in sync. Really a perfect team.
simonyeah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you thomas.
I was actually thinking of something cheaper and only midi which can control and makes sequences to the microkorg : drum machine -> microkorg via midi in of the microkorg.
WOuld it work?
Also, wihtout such devices, i this possible to play synth sounds on microkorg while one drum loop is playing?
Thank
Simon
Thomas A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonyeah wrote:
Thank you thomas.
I was actually thinking of something cheaper and only midi which can control and makes sequences to the microkorg : drum machine -> microkorg via midi in of the microkorg.
WOuld it work?
Also, wihtout such devices, i this possible to play synth sounds on microkorg while one drum loop is playing?
Thank
Simon

If want you want TR-like sequencing, the cheapest solution is a used MC-303.
jojo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just speaking up for the digital world (99% of successful professional studios) here. You could always consider a software DAW like (my personal fav) Logic Pro 8 or Logic Express 8. Over 100 instruments and effects, and the list goes on.

I usually encourage Logic simply because the interface is far more streamlined than that of Pro Tools (I know, I know..people are going to jump me for saying that).

It's a single-window interface, just like Pro Tools, but it is a whole lot easier on the eyes (in my opinion) and I don't feel like I'm using Windows 2000 like I do when I use Pro Tools.

You can view a quick rundown on Logic here:

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/
http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/

Trust me, it's worth your time.

You might also consider (and this is strictly for Windows, just as Logic is strictly MAC) Fruityloops. It's actually quite a good step-sequencer, though it's recording capabilities are severely lacking in dealing with audio (compared to more full-featured DAWs). It's mainly a step-sequencer and midi sequencer. If you are using a Mac, you could always run Windows using Boot Camp from Apple.

http://www.flstudio.com/documents/what.html
http://www.apple.com/bootcamp

"How do you spell a good instrument? K O R G!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: