Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It seems really nice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: It seems really nice! Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I was talking with Lorenzo about that last NAMM, and I must confess that I had undervalued Roland Fantom G!
After giving a look to that video I changed my idea: http://www.rolandus.com/flash/player/?path=http://media.rolandus.com/flv/fantom-g_overview_hd.flv

What di you think about that?
I see a great usage in my live gigs and studio works of that board!
I can't wait to put my hands on the new user interface, that control surface and the mouse sounds soooo nice to me...that live mode, effects and the sequencer are great!

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a big fan of roland (I still belive that the V-synth isn't a roland project but comes from aliens technology)... but some of the features (I'm not talking about sounds and synth engine here cos I can't put my hands on a fantom g at the moment) seems to be very good, expecially for live musician: the pitch bend is a sort of an intelligent bending cos you can put down a chord and the pitch bender will act only on the last note of the chord (this is what they say in the video) but I don't think that it's the unique news in the pitch bend... then there is the live mode that seems to work very well, but I'd like to hear it with timbres with very different effects and not just a different reverb...
and the mouse to navigate on the screen is a great update cos you don't need a touch screen if you can plug a mouse and use it to move the cursor...
The sequencer seems to be very userfriendly expecially for live performance (backing track etc etc)...
final comment on this new beast: it worth a try for sure. Good move Roland!
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree!!
Great move!

...consider my drummer has just baught a new Roland V-Drum, I can record his performances just by using that Roland and the integrated 128 tracks sequencer...
Or I can record an entire demo just by using it; first V-Drum, than the bass player via D.I. of his ampli out, than the guitar player, using both a sm57 mic into the balanced input or plugged directly to the hiZ input (to be processed after recordings), than the vocals and, of course, me Wink

I'm really impressed this time!
I was so curious to put my hands on the new Kurzy PC3, but this Fantom jumped at the very top of the list!

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
krazy78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a next generation workstation, competing with the M3 & XS , I like the TFT screen, but dont like the idea of using a mouse, i much prefer the touchsceen (this is where korg shines)
The sequencer looks very nice though, almost like software.
Ill be checking this one out as soon as they are available.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

That's the same thing my girl saied to me last night when I showed her that video...
But think about that point, without considering workstations: are you more used to use touch screen or to use mouse? I think the mouse, for that purposes, is really great!!
Personally I think they would have added a touch pad like on laptop so you can choose between mouse or laptop, but a touch screen for drag and drop and other similar operations it's not that great IMHO.

BTW, I'm totally excited about that board, so can't wait to put it under my fingers!

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
krazy78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Its different i guess , i just dont like the idea of something loose sitting on the keyboard while im playing, (disadvantage is that you cant mount the keyboard on an angle)
but saying that i could get used to using a mouse on a W/S, it would make some jobs easier, like sequencing, editing, but i still love my touchscreen Cool
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belive me, it's incredible: I've not been excited like these days from a lot of time, I can't remember that after seen a piece of gear I've been that amazed.
Maybe I'm totally blinded by the GAS, so forgive my delirant posts Wink

Having that saied...I've had Trinity and Triton Studio, and always loved their touchscreen. Now I've got a S90ES, with the very small display, and I've got used to that without a problem (IMHO menu are well organized).
To be honest I dislike the idea of having a mouse while playing live, too, but on the other hand I must say that after years of gig with and without touchscreen, I've never had to change something "on the fly" in sounds setup while playing.
Maybe it's because I play covers so all the show is setted up before starting, but if I have to change sounds parameters (filters, effects, etc) I use realtime controls available on the keyb.

I can see great benefits for my live and studio activity of that keyb, I just hope that the sequencer will be editable on the computer, too, and it will be stable so it can be used during live gigs, too.
Now I'm using backing sequence with my band, triggered from the iBook with Digital Performer (the drummer has click in headphone)...can you imagine how great should be to prepare sequences on that amazing sequencer and do it all live without any other pc?
I've never been able to do that on the Triton because of too much long time needed to set up all sequences...

Now I want to read the user manual, as soon as possible!

Regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save "streaming" every time you want to view videos like this (my connection never seems fast enough Crying or Very sad ) You can locate this video file in your temporary internet files, called "fantom-g_overview_hd[1].flv", (it's 30.5 megs), then you can drag it to desktop (or elsewhere), and play it through a FLV player, or VLC media player. I play Stephen kay's videos this way, because i can't seem to get his playere to work.

Nice Job from Roland this. Maybe I can Cut/copy/paste the sequencer to the OASYS Shocked

AnthonyB

JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: