Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg R3 question before buying it.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quicksilverp3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Korg R3 question before buying it. Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought the Radias for live purposes, but now that I see the features of the R3, I'm considering selling the Radias and getting the R3 instead as it is more convenient to lug around. I don't need all the polyphony as I'm just using it for leads and vocoding.

I just wanted a few questions answered before I make the move.

I haven't spent too much time with the Radias, but I noticed that either using the software or just the module itself, you can specify the gate time for each step in the arpeggiator (as well as the velocity). That way, you can create trance gate style arppegiations like the song "My Love" by Timberlake and Timbaland.

I wanted to know if this can also be done with the R3 using the unit or the software. The manual for the R3 says you can adjust the gate time, but didn't specify whether the gate time was for all the steps in general, or for each particular step.

Thanks a lot.
tschubiza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You can not adjust separate gate time for each step in arpeggiator, also no individual velocity.
Radias is 2x much expensive but it has at least 2x much more functions which is a preety good deal.

You can easyly see all the functions of R3 by instaling the sound editor on your computer. You don't need the synth to start editor. That's how I made my decision (well, not just by that Smile).

I agree with you that R3 is better for moving around.
quicksilverp3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I downloaded the software, and you actually can adjust the gate time for each step on the R3. Problem is, you are limited to only 8 steps.

Radias is by far better, I guess I just have to deal with transporting it around. It just seems like something that can easily be dinged and scratched cuz of its girth.

Any recommendations on a gig bad? I don't want to buy an ATA case cuz they are huge and probably wouldn't fit in my car. I'm not traveling all over, so a gig bag would be fine.

I bought the GigSkinz 49 bag, only to find out it's too small width wise for the Radias.
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilverp3 wrote:

Radias is by far better, I guess I just have to deal with transporting it around.

Lol, you've never gigged with 88 keys workstation, I suppose! Now that's is a real pain in the ass! Crying or Very sad

Besides - use one of the hippest advantages of Radias! Disconnect the rack from the keyboard, and use it as a rack, with other keyboards.

Getting R3 won't solve anything - you will have less weight (Radias is already small as it is IMHO - after my Fantom x8!!!) but you will loose 50% of it's potential, at least! But almost certainly more....
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nawh, the R3 doesn't lose 50% of the Radias potential for leads and vocoding, unless you happen to need something specific that it doesn't have. Most patches will be indistinguishable between them. How many _good_ lead patches have more than two timbres? Not many, particularly with vocoding where one timbre is better than multiple to retain clarity. With unison, dual osc and two timbres, the R3 has a very good thick leads and identical vocoding. I wouldn't even use the drum kit timbre of the Radias if I had it.

That said, I don't think I would replace a Radias with an R3, since the depreciation loss has already been taken if you can't return it to the store and have to sell it to a private buyer. There isn't that much difference in the size and weight anyways. I would sooner buy a small midi controller to use with the Rack. The choice between the R3 or Radias is better made before purchase than afterwards. If price were no object, then the Radias would almost always be the better choice, so I'm not discounting its power in general.
quicksilverp3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I actually didn't spend that much on the Radias keyboard. I paid 700 dollars, and if I wanted to sell I'm sure I can get the same amount, if not more. But when I received it i didn't realize how wide it is. I'd use it as a rack, but I'm trying to avoid using racks as I don't want to bring an extra rack case around.

The R3 seems like a good choice because it does all the things I want it to do and it's real compact. In my band I technically am not the keys player, I'm a guitar player that sometimes plays synthesizer, so my playing is really minimal.

But somehow i feel I will regret letting go of the Radias for the R3.
nemmo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Korg releasing a short keyboard for the Radias.
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you will...

Small keyboard for Radias? Not a bad idea! But I still prefer 49 keys - if not more...

The biggest disadvantage of R3 is a small amount of polyphony - only 8, while Radias has 24.
I love unison mode saws, and 8 voices just wouldn't be enough! 24 is really the minimum for me.
Having lot's of knobs and lights, is also very good, if you are a solo live performer.

Radias is perfect for my needs, wouldn't even consider changing it to anything else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: