Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3rd party RAM and components.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: 3rd party RAM and components..... Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I just got a TS76 in its stock condition and am willing to look for upgrades. I was brawsing for RAM and noticed on eBay, you can find 3 sticks (total of 96MB) for $10. Are they any good and safe? Would anyone suggest against buying those?

Also any particual brand or type should I look for the HDD and the external CD burner?

Cheers.

digitop

Last edited by digitop on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
elevated

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with the RAM part of your question:

I just paid $10 (plus shipping) for 96mb of RAM through eBay, and it works perfectly. No worries. Very Happy
digitop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks elevated, I did go ahead and got some of those RAMs from eBay. They're yet to arrive. I've read on the web that majority of these 3rd party and cheap RAMs causes unwanted noise and humming in your samples. Well, I'm not there yet. Let see. Thanks for the feedback.
elevated

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitop,

Could you point me to where on the web you read that? I've never heard of the actual sampling function of a Triton being affected by installing RAM...
pagey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true unfortunately. The First Ram i brought for my Triton Classic had that problem. One of the 32mb sticks when sampled to made some horrible noises. I got a replacement tho and that worked fine so make sure you thoroughly test all the ram sticks when they arrive.
There are some topics covering the issue somewhere in these forums.

Korg Kronos61, Triton Extreme 61, M50
elevated

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding... I thought maybe he was confused, and thinking of the strange popping ROM sounds issue (which I have slightly).

But that issue doesn't seem to be related to the type of RAM sticks, only how many slots are full. I fully recommend the FournierSean guy (eBay sample RAM guy), especially at this new price point.

I loaded up and tested samples on every bank, the first day I installed them.

Laughing
digitop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elevated,

I think I've read it from the same eBay seller you indicated and that's the same seller I got my RAMs from. The very same sentence was used on Lycos's website too that was refering to RAMs for other brand of samplers. I tried but couldn't find the exact pages I've read, I don't know what search keywords did I use. My primary worry was that these 3rd party components could bring more damage to the board than just noisy samples. I still didn't receive mine to inform you about the result. I also read one of the forum member had issues when using the 3rd sampling slot alone, I think that's the linke:

http://korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=99237&sid=12050a78fc8a081589df91cd240a29d5
digitop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I recieved and installed the 96MB RAM's and they work however regardless of installing the 32MB RAM, only 16MB being used. Only one of RAM bank 1 or RAM bank 2 shows memory capabilities and the other shows 000's ! Well I don't know that's how it should be or not.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my memory shows the full capacity. It's bee a while since I checked. Are you sure you put them in all the way? If so maybe the pins aren't exactly right to use the full memory.
album cover
elevated

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitop,

Can you be more clear about where you're reading that from? I think you mean from the "Memory Status" tab in Sampling mode. In that screen, mine shows 6 banks of RAM with an equal amount of data and time capacity for each one (170 seconds or so).

If we're on the same page here (excuse the pun!), then my question is what percentage available does it show for each bank?
digitop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elevated,

When I start the board, on the screen under the SIMM it reads that all three slots have 32MB of ram each. When I check the memory status, it says:

RAM Bank 1: 174.7 sec (blabla byte) 100% free
RAM Bank 2: 000.0 sec (0000 byte) 00% free
RAM Bank 3: 174.7 sec (blabla byte) 100% free
RAM Bank 4: 174.7 sec (blabla byte) 100% free
RAM Bank 5: 174.7 sec (blabla byte) 100% free
RAM Bank 6: 174.7 sec (blabla byte) 100% free

Also when sampling, when you want to save your sample, the RAM 2 obviously is not available from the drop-down list and is greyed out. I suspected something could be wrong with that particular memory stick so I replaced it with other one but again my RAM Bank 2 shows 000's !
elevated

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I'm stumped over here...

I'm also curious if you have looked through your programs/combis for the "ROM sound artifacts," since (kind of) maxing out your RAM. There are several threads on this forum which list patches to try. Like I said, I now have this minor problem. Would be interested for statistics sake...
digitop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you forum! The problem is solved. There was some sort of dirt or residue on the RAM bus (where the RAM is installed on the board). I cleaned the RAM bus with medical alcohole and everything now is working okay and I have the full 96MB of RAM available. It can be a good idea to clean the contact pins of these RAM's before installing them. Thanks again everyone!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: