Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groove tubes Ecc83 ... they came at last ......
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Groove tubes Ecc83 ... they came at last ...... Reply with quote

Finally , after months waiting for these pre-amps they're here , and Definatly a good buy !!

First , clipping sounds dont really make much of an appearance anymore .
I'm not sure why that happens but its somethiing i never expected would be rectified .
Also ( big one for tha mx ) when tubes are up at max with loads going on u can still hear everything , but in a qaulity fizzly ( much more noticable than standard tubes ) kinda tone . Even when my mx was brand new i was dissapointed at the funny metalic-like buzzing the tubes made with alot of bass , not so now , BIG improvement Shocked

instanly All harmonics take a step up even at no tube level ( although sound actually goes thru the tubes at all times , just a little or alot ) and up higher , sounds have a bigger impact on the tubes giving the mx even more of a distinct tone . U'll b amazed at how even a little tube effect can change ur tone .
I held down a BASSY tone n slowly added gain , the changes were much more noticable , more like what u would've preffered in the first place from tubes ... the mx sounds much better without my compressor now .

U can hear the difference 4 sure , more refined yet capable of a better electric/grit effect on ur mix . Also they sound as if they compress more too . Cool ( basically when u turn the tubes up there is alot of change in tone but not so much in volume )

bear in mind that all tubes will have distinct characteristics , so if u get new ones keep ur old ones 4 sure . Mine are flat as a pancake after 5 years , but still hav uses .

Ok , trust me .... Upgrade . Wink

Hope i cover all plus points ( except i got a dodgy nipple on one of my new boobs !?... nevermind ) . get em in boys , get em in ..... l8tr
anselmi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOWWWWW

AT LAST!!!!

I was waiting for that too...

Please upload some example files with exact parameters so we could compare it with our standar tubes!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!!!...great news for all SX/MX owners!!!
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recording kinda kills the tube sound... :-/ at least to a point...
musikmachine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool man,glad to hear it.Are they the GT ECC83-S?Who did you get them from?I have found them in a couple of places so ihope it won't take months Sad

Easy to install?From what i read you don't even need tools.And finally,has the white noise gone?

Cheers!
reddone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noise is greatly reduced . unfortunatly , the popping/clippyness showed up again although definatly not as bad .

As ruso said tho , its almost pointless recording examples cos of mp3 damage . I'll see what tones i can make tho , i'm sure the tone will be just about evident .

Ecc38s is what ur after , no u dont need to mess with anythin , they just plug in an and ur away . instantly my L-R balance was restored.
Also , i must add that my friend has a 3 month old Mx and Gt's definatly have a more pro sound than standard tubes .

EH's Ax7's are ok , but i realise now how much they ARE the final tone of the Mx/Sx , and that the tone offered isnt of a complexity that compliments these machines fully . ( have u ever noticed that at times the mx can sound a bit squeeky ? ... it down to ur tubes )

I had to settle 4 second best tubes , who knows what the best do .
Anyway , my old tubes still hav an advantage of being able to blend n merge sounds cos they are flat ... but other than that they're used .

Shop around local stores maybe n try out tubes to see what tone suits u best , i'm gonna try some others too , im intrigued .
anselmi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddone3 wrote:
As ruso said tho , its almost pointless recording examples cos of mp3 damage . I'll see what tones i can make tho , i'm sure the tone will be just about evident .

i don´t think that a simpe mp3 compresion will ruin the sound to the point of not been able to har the differences

but if you worry about it then upload short mono wavs
reddone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i'll do is , play around making sounds 4 a while n upload it to the site i put wavs up . I'd rather no go to all te bother of mp3 uploading 4 this , its just not worth it .

The thing is , if u listen to a long fading sound , at the end u should notice ( on original tubes ) that "bitty" kinda tail gradually break down til fade .
On the new tubes the same sounds will fade out with a fine "bitty/grit" .
This'll get lost most likely .

Mp3 will break up the lquality signal the tubes give , so ... i'll upload a nice tweak session in wav 2nite Wink
anselmi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent!
thanks a lot!

tell us about the replacing process...my skills in that kind of things are really poor...it´s a dificult task?

also tell us about where you get the tubes, the exact modle and the price...I really tempted to upgrade both my EMX and ESX to the groovetubes status!
reddone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replacement is no problem . Just unscrew that back plate off , and pull ur tubes while wiggling them in a circular motion . I havnt had to tune the tubes to balance them neither ( luckily ) , but u mite if the tubes r not balanced well .

model : Gt Ecc83s , price: £12 each ... But , groove tubes hav had to find a new factory in russia , so they are thin on the ground , u'll hav to do a bit of hunting i'm afraid .

The real teller in sound was when i hold a note from default "dual osc" setting . Subs n smooth simple analog's sound more authentic .

U'll hear urself tho , i'm gonna just record me f*ck*ng around with tones as the drums will be harder to notice changes . Cant wait to get home .....
musikmachine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool

Look forward to it.
inducejack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Red
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolio mine came in too... I went with jj electronic ECC803S with golden pins.... reason being that they're smooth tubes with not much distortion... I don't like using the drive knob at all because it distorted too much but with this tube model it's very smooth distortion just adds very clean dynamics.... very fast shipping I ordered on sunday....
reddone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad ur pleased dude !! Cool ... the difference allows alot more scope eh . I find that the drive knob has a completly different effect in my mixs now ( much cooler ) . look 4ward 2 hearing ur new stuff sometime . Nice one .
mish mash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow nice 1 Red I didn't know that you could update it like that.....intiging ...very.I think mines are 12ax7eh or that's what's on them...I think i may take a closer look at it Idea

thanx for sharing this

Emx 1
Esx 1
Kp3
Zero 8
PCR 500
Mac book pro
cdj 1000
mish mash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool Ichecked it out and ll get them asap but a vital question remain now.Which ones to choose GT-ECC83-S or ECC803SJJ difficult choice
There's the link to GT-ECC83-S : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Groove-Tubes-Gold-Series-GTECC83S-Preamp-Tube?sku=212204

Now I think I ll have to buy two sets and just compare but it's true what you said Red about the metallic sound on the bass it was the 1st i though was not great.....anyway lets get some new tubes man!!!

Emx 1
Esx 1
Kp3
Zero 8
PCR 500
Mac book pro
cdj 1000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: