Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any MR-1 users?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djhombre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Any MR-1 users? Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my first 'proper' post here, so hello.

I was just wondering if anyone else is using the MR-1 recorder and what their experiences of it are?

I bought one last week and recorded my wife's rock band session through the tiny mic included with the MR-1. Initially I was a bit disappointed when playing back immediately through the MR-1, it sounded as if it didn't pick up the bass frequencies much.

However, on getting the files home and a small bit of basic tweaking on my laptop, the bass is back and the sound is superb...one of the guitarists suggested that he can now hear parts of songs which he couldn't in the session room (probably because of the volume played at!).

I'm guessing the MR-1 was designed more for collecting audio snippets and not live (& loud) rock bands, but it seemed to hold up pretty well.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've used the MR1 to record live bands, with very good results. One problem I found with very loud bands (in small rooms) is that the supplied mic itself can distort. I adjusted levels properly, so there's no digital overload distortion, but the band was so load the mic was distorting! [I was wearing earplugs, btw.] It's not an expensive mic, after all. So I'd be interested in hearing about alternative mics that would still work in this situation.

djhombre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the mic that came with the MR-1 as well and found that particularly at the high end it had trouble.

I had the Recording Level set to use 'Auto' (mainly because this was my first attempt, I figured the auto settings would probably be better than anything I could set up). Then I wasn't really sure what to do about the Gain Increase & Decrease settings...

I reckon it would be neat if Korg supplied some examples of recording scenarios and recommended set ups...but perhaps I'm just being a bit lazy!

I'd be interested to hear about any mic recommendations as well!
sound1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

just like to say hello to all the mr-1 fans out there.. having been a big fan of the 1 bit systems for a few years now & really enjoy how clear & powefull the sound is on these units.

I have to date a 1 bit korg mr-1 & a 1 bit sharp im-dr420 & both are superb units with good points & bad points. i would like to share both good & bad points thus far with the units.

korg mr-1

good points

1/mass storage
2/support for all 1 bit formats
3/excellent sound quality
4/easy backup of large 1bit files in seconds to pc

bad points

1/ only 2.5 hrs on battery
2/badly needs hard disk maintenance tools ie: defragment tool & check disk (maybe in future updates i hope. often bad defragmentation error pops up.
3/more functions for the audiogate software ie: cue sheet, track index's for us dj's who want mixes tracked & burnt to cd & dvd would be great to have in next update.

sharp im-dr420

good points

1/battery lasts 50hr on play back 18hr recording
2/optical in
3/in my opinon recording @ 66kbs atrac recording the sound quality is spot on the same as vinyl which every dj wants with a digital format in which i have been recording all my club sessions with this unit & has been superb. if you are a playng vinyl then these are real good recording units for recording in 1 bit & has a 1bit amplifier as well. i must say sony mini disc units do not come close to the 1 bit rivals korg & sharp

bad points????
1/maximum 5hr record on long play mini disc
2/need more support for 1 bit units.if you want warmth,depth,ambience its all there in 1 bit systems...so lets support jerry & the engineers all the way. even sony ps3 supports 1 bit formats firmware 1.6 onwards so the big players ears have started to listen to the 1 bit future proof format.
djhombre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got the hang of recording the loud band with the tiny microphone, you've got to switch the input from mic to line...leave the power option switched on. I've left the recording level to Auto and although the sound recorded is quiet (can always be amlified later in AudioGate) it no longer clips at the top end.

I have also invested in a rather nice looking Rode NT4 which we're hoping to use for drum tracks.

Good to see some other users creeping out of the woodwork though!
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
recording the loud band with the tiny microphone, you've got to switch the input from mic to line...leave the power option switched on

Thanks, djh, that's a really good tip - I'll give it a try.

adsr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello...i'm waiting for my Mr1...but i have got yet a NT4...I confirm it's a good mic with sweety sound...( silky sound ???)...

The NT4 have a DIN/mini jack stereo ...coul we use a single input as balanced input ??? Or do i need adapt a DIN-stereo mini jack>2 mono mini jack for the unbalanced input L and right ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: