Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving over programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fearisthenewblack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Saving over programs Reply with quote

hello all.

like most i'm totally new to this and not a clue really what I'm doing.

i've made some really "cool" sounds and loops etc but really I'm just messing about. I now want to save some of the sounds I'm making and have learnt how to do this.

my query is that when i go to save the sounds i make they are just writing over the top of the pre-recorded sounds that come with the microkorg.

do i really need to do this?

i don't really like the thought of saving over these sounds because what If i need to use them in the future? yes i can restore the settings but then the sounds i make myself will then be lost.... this doesn't seem very practical.

is there any other way i can save my sounds? is best practice to save them to software on my mac? if i do this can i then load these back to the korg - say for live shows?

hope that hasn't confused anyone....!

thanks
fitnb
philtipping

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, not sure if you’ve found the answers yet, but here’s my 2 cents…
The MIDI Data Dump (page 62 in the manual) can be used to save/restore single or all programs to a computer. Lots of software packages will do this, but I can’t help with the MAC as I use a PC (with the microKORG editor program).

However, there are a few options without using a computer if you've not already discovered them…
You won’t necessarily lose all your data when you do a reload as it has an option to reload just a single program: press shift+7, select ‘1 prg’ with knob 1, select program number with knob 2, then press the flashing 7 again.
If you can pick a handful of factory presets you don’t like that much then do what you’re doing now and overwrite them, although this will probably scatter them across all the banks. There are 8xA and 8xB locations on each of the 8 banks, so there must be few you can sacrifice Wink

If you want to keep your programs together, then shuffle the factory ones around to leave yourself a whole bank’s worth: select each factory program you want to move, then ‘write’ it to another location (press Write, then select destn program before pressing the flashing Write again).

Don't worry about the Program Select switch as it is just a way of setting the first digit of the program number; the actual category names on the panel are only suggestions to fit in with the factory presets, so it doesn’t really matter which programs are stored where. Even the vocoder ones don’t have to be in the green ‘vocoder’ bank. You could make your own labels for the switch or just ignore them.

It's better in the long run to get your MIDI interface working with the computer. You can keep track of as many programs as you like, and also give them real names....and you've then also opened the door for recording/sequencing Very Happy
Hope this helps and good luck.
Phil.
fearisthenewblack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a real help thanks.
I guess I already knew what I could/couldn't do but I didnt know what the 'best practice" was or what other people do! you helped alot thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: