Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Program change jumble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HPH24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Program change jumble Reply with quote

I played the MIDI data, in real-time, from a composition written entirely in a Korg 01Wfd. That is, I hit Play on the Korg AFTER I hit Record in Cubase Studio 4. Let's be VERY VERY CLEAR, heh. The Korg is running from its own MIDI jacks and feeding a Lexicon USB interface, which does everything else properly. The NOTE DATA (the STROKES, not the audio) plays back properly FROM CS4. However, the various programs and changes do not. If I start the sequence from the Korg, the associated programs appear where they should. From CS4, they are scrambled. I opened the MIDI List Editor, but it doesn't SHOW any program changes at all. Why not? Is CS4 resetting something or emptying some buffer at the top of the file? If so, where do I go to see that and fix it?

I called Steinberg and was told to check ONLY Sys-Ex on the MIDI filter page. I did this. No improvement at all. I have also checked and UNchecked the Local Control and Sys-Ex within the workstation, trying numerous combinations, even if they seemed counterintuitive. Same problem persists. Is this a Cubase issue or a Korg issue? (shrugs)

I'm out of ideas and a bit pissed after weeks of wrestling with this and resetting the hell out of both tools. Is there a particular way you record MIDI data in this case, so that it will play back the proper programs in the file? This SEEMS very simple, but somehow, Cubase is scambling the MIDI data that works fine within the synth proper. I have several hours of music stuck in the Korg and until I solve this, that's where they'll stay buried. Anyone else have this happen? Where's the jam occurring?
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Korg keyboards have a setting in Global mode that allows you to enable/disable the sending of particular message types. I am not familiar with the 01/W but it might have the same feature. Check you have the option to send Program and Bank Changes enabled.

Also when you play the song from the 01/W can you see that the Prog Change messages are really being sent out of it's MIDI port (try MIDIMonitor from snoize.com to see this on your Mac)

Daz.
HPH24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that Global page was the logical first step. I think the issue is with Cubase, really, but its still unclear. I've usually left Local Off in place as well, since its under External control. I just wish it would come together so I could write all of the details down! Does it sound right, set in that manner?

Thanks for the MIDIMonitor tip. I'll check that out tonight. I'm just puzzled over there being no program changes listed in Cubase. Something is blocking just that one area....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: