Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording Live Drums: Need Gate for D3200- Need advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadmancan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Recording Live Drums: Need Gate for D3200- Need advice. Reply with quote

I want to record Live drums. I have (5) mics for the entire kit. (1) for kick, (1) snare, (1) between the two toms, (1) Overhead, (1) floor tom.

Here is my issue. I want to apply a gate so lets say for instance on the toms, the ambient noise, (any background noise other than the tom strikes) will not be picked up. I know this is possible.

What I dont know is this possible with the onboard effects on the D3200? It does have a variety of gates. I have tried to play with the Noise Gates and this has so far have been unsuccessful. I know I am doing something wrong. Can anyone offer assistance? Thanks in advance
cadmancan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Is this a dead forum? Need help please. Reply with quote

Can anyone assist? Doesnt anyone know?
cadmancan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks. Either no wants to help ir worse this site is full of people that simply dont know
philtipping

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
Well I'm sure it's not a case of no-one wanting to help, and I think it's a bit strong criticising the whole forum just 'cos no-one may know the answer to this particular problem Shocked
Anyway for what it's worth, I don't own the machine, but have just downloaded the manual. I'm sure it's something which can be sorted.
A traditional h/w gate has a threshold control which you would tweak so that any sound lower than a certain amount is attenuated, so that's the first place to look.
Assuming you've got a mono mic. on the toms, you need to put a mono gate on this. Page 161 lists the controls for a mono gate (you're right, there are several gates on this machine).
Can't really expand on this until I know how exactly how you've set up the D3200. If you're familiar with using dynamic FX on the machine and know how to put one in the chain, then there should be no reason why tweaking the controls shouldn't work.
Note that the gate will only shut off the tom mic. signal when its level is below the threshold; once the tom sounds, the gate will open and everything the tom mic. picks up will sound, so I don't know if your problem is with mic. spill.
Let us know what you've tried so far, then maybe we can proceed.
Phil.
cadmancan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your assessment of my critique but if this was the only question that was either never answered or took well over a month to respond, I wouldnt have said what I said. I still mean it. I do appreciate your help but I will not post here again. The only other issue is people are going elsewhere. The issue was covered by someone else on studiotrax.com. I have smal issues with the Korg X50, no responses with that as well. Thanks again.
philtipping

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Rob, understood, no hard feelings Smile
Phil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: