Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about automation and external gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr.s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Question about automation and external gear Reply with quote

Hello people Smile

does the emx send its automation to external gear or software?

For example:

I assigne a parts filter cutoff knob to control abletons filter cutoff and automate it, does it transmit the midi automation to abletons filter.

I have a feeling it doesnt but theres hope

thanks
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does transmit the motion sequence data, yes.
mr.s

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff Very Happy

another question though...

Ive used the electribes and like the way all knob positions are saved with the pattern.

so

with the same set up (filters assigned to abletons) when switching patterns - are the knob positions sent to abletons filter, without automation?

heres hoping again
anselmi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.s wrote:
with the same set up (filters assigned to abletons) when switching patterns - are the knob positions sent to abletons filter, without automation?

nope...you have to record motion sequence data to get it out from the electribe to ableton...even a single event to change the initial position of filteres or whatever you´re controlling

the only thing that goes out of the electribe when switching patterns is program change...and it depends of the MIDI filter setting, of course
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if you're good at programing and understand programming midi you can actually get the electribe to do a pattern dump and then decode it... the whole structure of the dump is well documented in the midi implementation guides for both emx and esx on korg's official website.

I've been meaning to tinker around with this for a while now. I'm mostly interested in grabbing a few key parameters like pattern length which is not transmitted and can not be read through any other means.

Weird thought, I just got reminded and figured I'd share the most bizzare aspect of the electribe's midi implementation... It took me a long while to figure it out.

Anyways it's the NRPN message for the electribe's mute function. What it ends up being is two separate NRPN's that get sent which are a (reverse?) binary representation of the mute parts... This is rediculous because you can only put together 8 zeros and ones in a row with midi.... and there are nine d rum parts so the electribe splits the message up... I think it's the most ridiculous and senceless way to do the message for mutes... by all means it should be a normal cc message for every part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: