Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI/MIDI - USB CONVERTER CABLES. SOUND OUTPUT HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendodd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: MIDI/MIDI - USB CONVERTER CABLES. SOUND OUTPUT HELP! Reply with quote

Edit;-

I now have a midi to usb cable.

I have the midi in in the Midi in and same with the midi out.

Yet no sound is outputted on my speakers, what else am I missing.

There are no drivers for this cable, 100% plug and play, I would like to be able to use this with reason so I can play drum sounds etc with reason, yet still have my microkorg playing from my speakers, help!

THANKS!
bendodd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump ;/
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only have the MIDI connections to your mK, right ? If you want to hear audio from the mK you'll need to hook up the 1/4" audio outputs of the mK to your soundcard/mixer/speakers too.

You might find this useful reading :

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Daz.
bendodd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
You only have the MIDI connections to your mK, right ? If you want to hear audio from the mK you'll need to hook up the 1/4" audio outputs of the mK to your soundcard/mixer/speakers too.

You might find this useful reading :

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Daz.

Well, what exactly do I need to plug it into my speakers? I used to just use the output cable which goes in the back of my pc, and plugged it into my mK. Now I want to be able to play both sounds from my mK and my PC (reason etc) at the same time. I have a midi usb converted from my usb slot, into my in/out on mK, what else do I need exactly? Links towards the products needed would be nice, Ben.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What soundcard do you have in that machine, does it have any audio inputs ? Ideally you should plug the mK into the soundcard's audio in so that the soundcard will mix the audio from the mK and the audio from Reason and send the combined output to your speakers.
bendodd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
What soundcard do you have in that machine, does it have any audio inputs ? Ideally you should plug the mK into the soundcard's audio in so that the soundcard will mix the audio from the mK and the audio from Reason and send the combined output to your speakers.

Integrated sound. But, wasnt the job of the USB MIDI converter? To split the sound? So I can mix the output from Reason and the mK?

EDIT ; - I think my intergrated sound support MIDI.

I am sure this is the right cable.. I'm just not sure what I need to do..
electric dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI and AUDIO are two different types of data. Go check out that Tweakheadz link......

They both need to be setup to be utilized.....
pafufta816

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by plugging in the mK MIDI to your computer you can:

control sounds (with the mK soundeditor program)
control notes (velocity, pitch, speed, etc.)
control the internal clock

you can do alot of things, it helps you control the units settings and can also play the microKorg from software. what you can't do is hear the audio via MIDI. MIDI does not carry the actual Audio signal that is output from your mK. you'd need to plug the mK audioOut into your soundcard to hear it.

does that make sense?
bendodd

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that does make sense. I have the midi cable plugged in correctly and the mK soundeditor doesn't detect it?
semtex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what cables you are using but in Ableton Live using m-audio usb-midi cables for my microkorg I had to install the drivers for the cable to be recognized by my computer, and then I had to enable the input in Ableton.

MIDI allows you to send the exact keys pushed, velocity of the keys and other specific information to your computer so you can edit the exact notes, it does not send the sound your microkorg is making to the computer. To hear the sound you must plug in the audio outputs to your Line In on the computer as well or plug in headphones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: