Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

headphone output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flux-1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: headphone output Reply with quote

WHY IS IT SO LOW? I mean... why put so much work into making this a great mixer and DROPPING THE BALL so hard on the headphone output??? It seems like such a no-brainer. I bought this mixer and trying to use it in a nightclub is a NIGHTMARE. Using Sony MDR-v7509 headphones and it's so quiet on full blast I hear a bit of hi-hat and a bit of kick, but nothing else.
The sound is very clean on this mixer at high volumes otherwise, but should I really need to go buy a headphone amp to be able to use it correctly? Seems a little silly to me. Why, Korg, why???
D2MRP0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: headphone out low Reply with quote

I agree....have not gone live with it yet as a backing track device with a click out the headphone amp....but yes, it looks like I will have to invest in more gear such as a headphone amp. ugh.
splurt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps this could be addressed in firmware, have you contacted korg about it?

are you talking about the zero4 or zero8 or both?
jeremymicheal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im pretty sure the update 1.5 addressed this issue.
subterFUSE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output is low because the Korg seems to be designed to have its signals run very hot. (i.e. you must turn channel gains almost to full, and run master volume at full) This is how we are able to reduce the hiss, by running Korg signals hot and turning down the volume on our monitors.

I do believe the new firmware increases the headphone output, however.
bildeaux

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the headphone out is still low with the latest update. I had to go by a damn headphone amplifier for the korg to run into.

b.
jeremymicheal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bildeaux wrote:
No, the headphone out is still low with the latest update. I had to go by a damn headphone amplifier for the korg to run into.

b.

did you do both updates or just 1.6? cause if you only did the latest 1.6 that didnt fix the monitor out. 1.5 did.
bildeaux

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did both. I update as soon as one comes out.

b.
gozu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree, it is still to low. is it perhaps the voltage on the output? (im no techy) i mean its weird.

ive noticed other weirdness with this. My sennheiser sound good, but my technics headphones dont sound right, i have to turn the volume up even more. i just got some shure in-ear buds to test out, they are similar output levels to the sennheiser (this also doesnt seem right, as from a pc you can turn the volume waaaaaaay down with these...)
Reggmail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Korg Zero 4/8 Mixers Low headphone output & hiss? Reply with quote

Gozu ,flux-1 and D2MRP0

jeremymicheal I'm pretty sure the update 1.5 addressed this issue

subterFUSE I do believe the new firmware increases the headphone output, however.

Booth of them are correct, the new EQ settings on the V 1.6 update would appear to give boost to the headphone output by applying a different frequency settings.

Your problem seems to be an isolated issue as was some mixers hissing and some not.
Usually problem like that could be in you specific mixer and not a total lot problem
such as, some faders my slide easer than others, some knobs or switches or plugs may also have variations in feel or sensitivity.
I believe the same could be in how a mixer assigns certain adjustment levels, ether in celebrations from the manufacture or subtleties in uses from the user.

For example, if you go to a TV appliance store and look at any two to four of the same appliance and compare then (the same brand and style) you will find settles differences within those appliances.

1. I believe that to make sure that's the case with this mixer, I usually uninstall and then reinstall my downloaded drivers, then reinstall then into the unit also.

2. I would also find another unit (the same brand) and I would take my headphones to see if other units give me the same effect with a similar or same type of setup.

3. If it is an isolated situation I would try to exchange it for another unit or find a work around such as the headphone amp, believe it or not sometimes for know apparent reason the thing just may start working.
I've had that happen also, who know how it happened maybe more pushing in and out of the 1/4 cable jacks or turning the level controls could have cleaned or moved something in place or moved a Gremlins http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h24CFZqSEAAut out of place, but whatever it could have been, the thing just started working properly. Lol.

Suggestion taken from an earlier Pro DJ Forum post #452 http://www.prodjforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3500&page=23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's up my man paulybatz?
Jayo has a good advice, and here is another option.

http://www.beachaudio.com/Nady/Ha1x4...CID=C12585x003

http://search.ebay.com/headphone-amp...cmoy-tutorial/

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/ Build you own amp.

Hope this helps.
Peace & blessings.
Ryan Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same issue with mine. its very annoying. i use the mixer out in clubs roughly 3 times per month and im seriously considering buying a headphone pre amp, but im holding out for a fix in the meantime.

does anyone know where i can get the 1.5 update for mac? ive done the 1.6 but it hasnt really had an effect.

please sort this out korg!!!!
transparent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this exact same problem and using the latest 1.6 update. I'm considering exchanging my mixer cause I thought it was an isolated issue. Obviously other people have the same problem.

Is this just a problem with a handful of people or is this a problem on every single Korg Zero 8???

I find it a little hard to believe that Korg would create the best mixer in the world but then not put enough gain in all the headphone outputs so no one could cue tracks and use it to DJ properly in a club.

And that solution to clip all the inputs is not a solution at all. You can't just clip all the channels coming into the desk from the computer it will sound like s**t. You can turn them up to full but they shouldn't be clipping and how are you supposed to mix multiple tracks at once in volume when they all have to be clipping and turned up full just so you can hear it in your headphones? I'm either exchanging mine for one that actually works properly or paying to have the headphone gain out modified or buying an external headphone amp to use live.
miim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be something you guys have tried. It just hasn't been discussed. Is the Balance knob set all the way to "master" and not "cue" ? This totaly cuts headphone volume of "master" output when set to "cue", and vise versa. Cliping is never recommended and in my case never required. If your volume is low and your tracks are clipping, something is seriously wrong with your input/output configurations. Try checking all available information.

PS I love my KZ8
the auracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use sony mdr-7506 cans, and volume is nowhere near an issue.

nice and loud and clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: