Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help- complete noobie- microKorg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arctictotoro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Please help- complete noobie- microKorg Reply with quote

I'm absolutley set on getting a microKorg, but i just would like to know a few basic things before purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

1. I have a Roland Cube 60 Guitar Amp and a 15 watt marshall practise guitar amp, would either of these be suitable for playing the microKorg through?

2. Also is there anyway to play the microKorg through my computer's speakers using some sort of MIDI system?

Thnx
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

No.

A keyboard isn't a guitar. Doesn't even look the same. One has strings. The other has keys. That makes a difference. Strings vibrate only within a limited frequency range. Electronic keyboards have no such limitation.

Midi doesn't send audio of any kind. Midi is musical note information, not musical sounds.

Your computer speakers are also not suitable.

Of course you could hook the Microkorg up to any old audio device that can reproduce sound. It won't sound good and won't be suitable. To get suitable sound from a keyboard/synth requires a system that can adequately reproduce the full audio spectrum that it produces.

The cheapest that I'd recommend is the Logitech Z-2300, which are THX rated powered speakers for under $150. It has two 40W satellite speakers and a 120W subwoofer.
gadgetoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MicroKorg makes a neat little midi control surface if you get a MIDI->USB cable but you would need something like Reason to actually produce sounds with it using a PC.

Your mileage hooking up the MicroKorg to guitar amps may vary, god knows it's capable of a bounty of dirty sounds that would probably sound quite interesting through one with the gain jacked up for good measure.

The MicroKorg has a lot of muscle so powered monitors will do it a lot of justice, you probably wont get away without picking up a subwoofer though and the Logitech Z-2300 doesn't look too bad but the fact it costs less than a single average powered monitor may or may not speak volumes.

Or just grab a pair of headphones and do your neighbors a favor by blowing your eardrums in private; not much good live though.

Have you tried the Roland SH-201 synth?
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadgetoid wrote:
The MicroKorg has a lot of muscle so powered monitors will do it a lot of justice, you probably wont get away without picking up a subwoofer though and the Logitech Z-2300 doesn't look too bad but the fact it costs less than a single average powered monitor may or may not speak volumes.

Don't judge the Z-2300 merely on its value price. It cranks. Have you heard it? I have. I also own the Z-5300e, which is basically the same thing but is a 5.1 instead of a 2.1 system. These aren't your typical cheezy PC powered speakers. The amplifier is the real deal, with large heatsinks approprate for the rated output.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: