Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaoss Pad 2 as a mic preamp?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerThornhill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Kaoss Pad 2 as a mic preamp? Reply with quote

I don't record music professionally. Just for fun.

I have a Powerbook, an Electro Voice PL20 mic, and a Kaoss Pad2. I just bought an M-Audio Mobile Pre and I haven't opened the box yet.

Can I use my KP2 for connecting the mic to the computer? Or do I still need the interface? Would the interface have a better, cleaner sound?

Just want to know if I should return the interface.

Thanks.
ani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, it depends on a couple of things, first:

Do you have a condeser microphone or is it a dynamic microphone?

If it is a dynamic one, you could simply plug it in your KP and connect that to your powerbook's line in.

If you have a condeser microphone, you will have to plug it in a device that delivers phantom power, the KP will not do that for you. So in this case you will need your external soundcard, check the box if it gives phantom power but most pre-amps do that. It's what a pre-amp is for basically...

I recommend you to use a pre-amp, it will probably sound a lot better and if you ever decide to get more professional, it will be a definite must!

Hope this helps you out!

For more info about microphones check wikipedia.org, there's a lot of stuff concerning microphones
RogerThornhill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Thanks. But does the Mobile Pre really sound better? Reply with quote

I'm just trying to figure out if it's really that worth it to keep the thing.

Thanks so much for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: