Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland VP-330 sample?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sizul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Roland VP-330 sample? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can buy/get a good sample of the old Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus vocal patches? I have looked around online, and apparently Roland doesn't make (and it seems, isn't letting anyone else make) a softsynth of it...I also can't find a sample disk out there that is mainly of that instrument. The discs I've seen available that have it, just have it lumped in with lots of other synth samples and I don't know what the quality of the VP-330 sounds are on those.

I have a free sample of it from Hollow Sun, which is very cool, but doesn't have as big of a useful range as I'd like.

Strange thing is, a vocal synth program on the M3 sounds like it may possibly have that sound in it, but I can't tell for sure. It's a very cool program, though!

Anyway, I'm not as worried about the VP-330 string sound, though that would be a nice bonus. Smile

Thanks,

Rob
Prominy PCP-80 sample
Cakewalk Sonar 6
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting -

Only today I have become aware of this instrument (having just bought a V-Synth GT and looking at its legacy online). The VP-330 is a VERY interesting instrument. I was searching on line and came across your post - and alsocame across these which I'm downloading right now and hope they are what both you and I are lookin for - that lovely choral sound:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/midiwall/gear/vp330/index.html

How these work out.

Cheers,
Kevin.
WWW: www.knect.ie
Sizul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kevin--I downloaded and tested these out and they are cool, but still not fully what I'm looking for. Sad

Also, I stand corrected on what I said about a vocal synth Program on the M3 sounding kind of like the VP-330...it's Combi IC-075 "Endless Choir", and I thought the synth vocal program in there was it, but it's not close at all. The actual choir program used in that Combi must contain what I'm hearing, which has a slight impression (to me, anyway) of the VP-330 choir sound, within the register around middle C or so.

And yes, the VP-330 is a really wonderful sounding instrument to me. Vangelis used it to beautiful effect in many of his albums and his albums with Jon Anderson. The choir sounds wonderfully ethereal, and the beautiful strings (from the VP-330) are often mentioned whenever the music of "Bladerunner" is discussed.

I just wish I could find an excellent sample disc of this instrument...

Thanks,

Rob
Prominy PCP-80 sample
Cakewalk Sonar 6
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm no sampling expert and time is always short, but I'm keen to try to turn this set of choral samples into an instrument for the OASYS. It will take a while and nodoubt I'll have to process those samples a lot - as in slice them up, adjust levels etc. But If I get around to it and have a clean and organised sample set I'll let you know and forward them to you. But as said - don't hold your breadth on this - it will take a while as I have no experience in this area.

Re the strings being used on bladerunner - yes I had read that before but I'm not 100% convinced of that. I have no inside knoweldge - and I realise this arguement is superficial - but on hearing the VP330 on youtube I cannot envisage it sounding as rich as those strings/pads in bladerunner. I has assumed that he would have used a prophet 10 for those strings - but as said I have no particular knoweldge on this. Of course audio quality on you tube is also poor, so if the vp330 did produce them, that is certainly very impressive.

While I don't think the VP330 features, check out m-audio's new virtual string-machine plugin. I don't own it yet, but it does look very interesting indeed.

regards,
Kevin.
WWW: www.knect.ie
Sizul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Actually, I'm no sampling expert and time is always short, but I'm keen to try to turn this set of choral samples into an instrument for the OASYS. It will take a while and nodoubt I'll have to process those samples a lot - as in slice them up, adjust levels etc. But If I get around to it and have a clean and organised sample set I'll let you know and forward them to you. But as said - don't hold your breadth on this - it will take a while as I have no experience in this area.

Thanks, Kevin, that would be great if you can do it. I have no sample-creating experience, either, yet. That sample I have from Hollow Sun sounds (within part of a 1 1/2 octave range) closer to the sound I'm trying to get, but it has very few sample points in it.

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Re the strings being used on bladerunner - yes I had read that before but I'm not 100% convinced of that. I have no inside knoweldge - and I realise this arguement is superficial - but on hearing the VP330 on youtube I cannot envisage it sounding as rich as those strings/pads in bladerunner. I has assumed that he would have used a prophet 10 for those strings - but as said I have no particular knoweldge on this. Of course audio quality on you tube is also poor, so if the vp330 did produce them, that is certainly very impressive.

I think the Youtube audio quality is partly to blame, and it may also be that the VP-330 I've seen on Youtube is a Mark II, while the Mark I is supposed to sound warmer. I believe the one Vangelis used was a Mark I, but am not 100% certain. Also, I can't tell for sure if the Youtube clips have the Ensemble effect on, and the common belief seems to be the VP-330 sounds are practically useless without its Ensemble effect switched on. And then we don't know what all other effects Vangelis used to enhance its sound...But yes, supposedly most of his string sound from the late 70s - early 80s were pretty much VP-330. Also, his expressive method of playing, with using volume pedals and such, is a big part of how it sounds on his albums.

Kevin Nolan wrote:

While I don't think the VP330 features, check out m-audio's new virtual string-machine plugin. I don't own it yet, but it does look very interesting indeed.

regards,
Kevin.

Yes, it seems like the M-Audio one doesn't mention the VP-330 at all, though that software may still be very cool. Also, I found this product: http://puremagnetik.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=50, but unfortunately I don't currently have anything compatible with its formats.

Thanks,

Rob
Prominy PCP-80 sample
Cakewalk Sonar 6
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually - you've got my interest on this really tweaked - it's amazing the things you simply do not notice for years and then all of a sudden you become aware of them (usually though the internet!). While I compose electronic music and was originally inspired by Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis among others, I was never aware of the Eminent 310 until a few months ago and how important it was to JMJ, and now the penny has just dropped with this discussion with you about Vangelis - I can hear the VP330 on numerous Vangelis albums! I always assumed they were polysynths of some sort but instead now realise they were the VP330! Nice one.

Actually - I can tell you (wearing my anorak on this!!) that Vangelis used both the VP-330 Mk1 and the MK2. I have here at home an article from 1983 from the magazine Electronics and Music Maker and I can just about make out that the VP330 is a Mk1 (again I remember looking at that instrument and wondering what it was but not bothered either way). But if you look here you'll see a VP-330 Mk2:

http://users.pandora.be/nemostudios/sw/sw31.htm

Obviously an important and very iconic instrument (in Peter Forrest's A-Z of Synthesizers book the list of users of the VP-330 is like a Who's-who of electronic and rock music form the late seventies well into the eighties).

It's great to realise what instruments were used in great music of the past - it certainly puts some shape on it. After all, the VP-330 is not good just because Vangelis used it. Its good because Roland made it good, and millions of people bought albums with those sounds. Who are we to question such credentials??

Cheers,
Kevin.
Sizul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Actually - you've got my interest on this really tweaked - it's amazing the things you simply do not notice for years and then all of a sudden you become aware of them (usually though the internet!). While I compose electronic music and was originally inspired by Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis among others, I was never aware of the Eminent 310 until a few months ago and how important it was to JMJ, and now the penny has just dropped with this discussion with you about Vangelis - I can hear the VP330 on numerous Vangelis albums! I always assumed they were polysynths of some sort but instead now realise they were the VP330! Nice one.

Actually - I can tell you (wearing my anorak on this!!) that Vangelis used both the VP-330 Mk1 and the MK2. I have here at home an article from 1983 from the magazine Electronics and Music Maker and I can just about make out that the VP330 is a Mk1 (again I remember looking at that instrument and wondering what it was but not bothered either way). But if you look here you'll see a VP-330 Mk2:

http://users.pandora.be/nemostudios/sw/sw31.htm

Obviously an important and very iconic instrument (in Peter Forrest's A-Z of Synthesizers book the list of users of the VP-330 is like a Who's-who of electronic and rock music form the late seventies well into the eighties).

It's great to realise what instruments were used in great music of the past - it certainly puts some shape on it. After all, the VP-330 is not good just because Vangelis used it. Its good because Roland made it good, and millions of people bought albums with those sounds. Who are we to question such credentials??

Cheers,
Kevin.

Thanks, Kevin! Good find for you, too, of that picture of V's studio. Are you on the Vangelis list (the old Direct list) by any chance? Smile I think I'd seen the site with those pics before but it has been a while.

Anyway, the VP-330 impresses me even more for what it must have been like at the time it came out, it must have been really amazing. I was just a kid then, but when I listen to music from that time, I don't know if any other instrument had better sounding strings or choir at the time, thus I'm sure that's why Vangelis liked it.

Your last few statements there are exactly why I'm kind of surprised that it's not easy to find either a softsynth or a professionally done, pretty much note-for-note sample disc of the VP-330 out there.

Also, I may have to check out that book you mention!

Thanks,

Rob
Prominy PCP-80 sample
Cakewalk Sonar 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: