Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to SYNTH, Please help me on my way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAb00n

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: New to SYNTH, Please help me on my way Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm a Guitar player and i'm thinking of quittin the guitar and make some awesome electronic music. i REALLY like french electro music (Daft Punk, Justice) and some 8 bit (Anamanaguchi)
My eye catched the Korg MicroKorg...but is it suitable for my musical taste?
I'm totally new to synthesizers, i hear people talk about patches this patches that..
Can someone just give me a small summary and an answer to my question.
If the microKorg is not suitable, then please come with other synths (ofc NOT insanely high prized stuff)
And do i need any software if i want to change sounds on it, and is it possible to hook it up to my laptop?

Thank you all Very Happy
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Microkorg is a good entry point for the price, however you'll need much more than that to get very deep into the french techno genre. You'll need to get into sequencers, loopers, and heavy effects, and more powerful analog modeled synths. I'd recommend the R3 or Radias instead of the Microkorg, and the MicroX/X-50 to get the Triton sounds, with a groovebox or two, which are more expensive than the MK, but not outragious. But if you've only got less than $300, you could start learning with the MK while you save your money buy other stuff later on. A laptop computer with soft synths is also an economical way to go, since you can try a lot of free and trial software.
entershikari

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while were on the topic of microkorg's....

in your opinion..

a microkorg or alesis micron or whatever there called..
bearing n mind i want the type of sounds enter shikari produce.....
the korg looks a lot more complex in terms of interface than the micron..
jojo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
The Microkorg is a good entry point for the price, however you'll need much more than that to get very deep into the french techno genre. You'll need to get into sequencers, loopers, and heavy effects, and more powerful analog modeled synths. I'd recommend the R3 or Radias instead of the Microkorg, and the MicroX/X-50 to get the Triton sounds, with a groovebox or two, which are more expensive than the MK, but not outragious.

Whoa whoa whoa...pull the handbrake here.. What about the Roland SH-201? That thing was actually designed to teach people synthesis intuitively. You might also look into (depending on your country) a local community college or university. Some are now offering full-fledged courses in synthesis (including granular, modular, etc). Or Berklee College of music has free classes online at http://www.berkleeonline.com

The Alesis Micron is also a viable option and has a built-in sequencer. However, construction quality on the face of the instrument (the knows, screen etc) is incredibly shotty. I see them missing knobs on ebay all the time. I opted for the MicroKORG despite it having fewer features because a)I like to make music in Starbucks. This runs on batteries. lol
b)I found the interface DRASTICALLY more intuitive and easy to learn.
c)There is NO Mac-based editor for the Alesis. There's a PC version, but it's not even an official one from Alesis. Alesis never made one.

Other models I would recommend would be the Novation A-Station (used; discontinued), and Novation V-Station (available at many music retailers including Guitar Center in the United States) which is a virtual A-Station. Sound on Sound recommended the Novation XioSynth but I think it sounds a bit thin..

The only other models I can think of might prove to me too deep and out of your budget..but..the Access Virus is a great choice. An original Access Virus generated the lead sound in Darude's Sandstorm, which was a major club hit and still receives air play all over the world.

The others are the ALESIS ANDROMEDA (possibly the greatest synthesizer ever made) which is a TRUE ANALOG synth. THAT IS A HUGE DEAL. BIG TIME THING. It's $2,999 though.

Finally, there is the Roland V-Synth. The last three here have a very steep learning curve, but you do want to purchase something that you can grow into for some time..

Though the microkorg can't really compare to the SH-201...I'd recommend either of them for sure. Depends on what you need. Plus, the microkorg's microkase from korg allows you to strap on the microkorg. 80's style!

Anyway..take care boys..and girls..

"How do you spell a good instrument? K O R G!"
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SH-201 is good for learning VA synthesis, but it's a poor value and not as suitable for French electro music as the R3 because it lacks a vocoder. The R3 vocoder is significantly improved over the Microkorg.

Roland should come out with the S4D-202 in Yellow and Black to replace the SH-201. It would be the Synthesizer for Dummies edition.

French electro depends a lot on loops and samples, so a groovebox, repeater, and/or looping and sequencing software will be very important in addition to a synthesizer. I have the Roland SP-555 groove box and it can do looping, sampling, and is packed with effects.
BAb00n

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the info youse guys Very Happy i've looked into some of those Synths, learning alot here !

PS, it is possible to hook up an electric guitar to let's say a MicroKorg and use it to give some sweet effects right? But i can't record it ca i?
entershikari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im swinging towards the micron...but the battery on the microkorg is oh so tempting....just the battery could swing it for me.....
entershikari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there not any accesories offering a plug in battery pack..eg inserting the plug into a set of batteries....or is this a completly stupid idea...
forgive me i have no idea..
BAb00n

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, the Novation bass station is also kinda sweet...
check it out on www.veoh.com and search for Oasis - Who feels love live
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAboon, you're confusing a good performance with good equipment.

Nearly any synth with portamento could do that sound. I wonder if he had to warm up his index finger so that it wouldn't cramp up.

The R3 has a preset M-3 to easily replicate that sound.
gadgetoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good performance? If by "good" you mean "incredibly irritating" then you're spot on!

I suggest, BAb00n, you start with a cheap disposable control surface (£50 or so) and a demo of Reason 4. This is assuming, of course, that you have a reasonably decent PC.

Check out the M-Audio Oxygen 8 or something similar and you can get started for under £100. Unless you're a hardcore hardware junkie then a cheap controller and a soft synth is a good way to start!

Start here: http://www.propellerheads.se/download/index.cfm?fuseaction=download_reason_demo

Download demo, watch the tutorial videos and grab the cheapest controller you can find and if you find yourself wanting for more you can look into SH-201s and MicroKorgs.

My first true synth was a Roland Fantom X8. Now I use a control surface and Reason 4 because I find it flexible and productive and enjoy playing with whatever synth or workstation happens to arrive on my desk.
binzi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entershikari wrote:
while were on the topic of microkorg's....

in your opinion..

a microkorg or alesis micron or whatever there called..
bearing n mind i want the type of sounds enter shikari produce.....
the korg looks a lot more complex in terms of interface than the micron..

Rou uses the MicroKORG a EMX-1 and a ES-II if that helps
hes got an M3 aswell, but im gonna guess that £1,350ish is out of your price range...

but in all honesty why would you want to sound like them...?
try "Sky Eats Airplane" for size
powers

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAb00n wrote:
Thx for the info youse guys Very Happy i've looked into some of those Synths, learning alot here !

PS, it is possible to hook up an electric guitar to let's say a MicroKorg and use it to give some sweet effects right? But i can't record it ca i?

yes you can use it as an effector. I play guitar and synth. I play metal and rock and whatever. I'll record some stuff when I have time next week as an example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: