Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MINI KP (volume, issues, and question about KP2)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
destinjacobus

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: MINI KP (volume, issues, and question about KP2) Reply with quote

OKAY,

so i have a mini KP... i got it for a great price (only paid $150), and it sounds GREAT. i love that i can carry it around and use batteries to use it while i'm on the go, however there are a few issues that i'd like some help/feedback with.

about my setup: i'm using this in a variety of ways, but mainly my concern is when i try to use it within my dj setup (both with using Ableton Live, as well as Traktor Scratch). i'm not dealing with fx sends and returns and all that, i'm just running my master output of the mixer into the mini KP, and then from there it goes to the rest of the soundsystem, etc. here's several things i wanted some feedback on:

1) VOLUME ISSUES: as many others have already written and complained about.. the actual sound level of my setup seems much lower once it runs through the mini KP (without an effect triggered). i'm also having an issue with the effects volume. it seems that the volume gets really loud once i trigger an effect. i've tried boosting the gain from my mixer (pre mini KP), but then the peak led on the mini KP goes red... and it still doesn't quite sound right.

2) THE BUILD: for the most part, Korg is incredibly reliable when it comes to craftsmanship. this however, feels like a toy. to be honest i was hoping at least for some of the same materials of the other kaoss pads (just in a mini version), but found it feeling a bit like something from a McDonalds happy meal. While this is a complaint, i can live with it...

now, i'm seriously considering returning the mini KP and getting a KP2 (KP3 is out of range and i dont need the added features). there are lots of things i like about the KP2 as opposed to the mini. it's got the knobs where you can control the depth of the effect, as well as the input volume (problem solved), I like the build of it, the size is a bit better for live performance, it's also easier to find in the dark.

(have any of you really tried to use the mini in very low light situaitons?it's ridiculous. it's worse than looking for a cell phone on a club floor.. even cell phones have more lights on them!)

anyway, i don't want to just drag on. i guess what i'm asking is this:

- is there a simple solution to the volume problems of the mini?
- is there any reason why you think i shouldnt swap out for the KP2?

any feedback will be appreciated. but please explain what you mean to say instead of comments like "it doesn't sound good"
supermel74

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the original Kaoss Pad, then I upgraded to the KP3. I didn't really need the extra features of the KP3 so I sold it and got a Mini KP. I had the same concerns as you with the Mini KP so I sold it and got a KP2. In my honest opinion, the KP2 is the best of the bunch. I say you should do it. It has the on the fly simple sampling that the Mini KP doesn't, it has the basic drum beats that can be kind of fun, some basic synth sounds to make noise with, and some cool vocoder programs too. The only thing the Mini KP has that the KP2 doesn't have is the Grain Shifter effects which are kind of cool and it runs on batteries. Other than that KP2 all the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: