Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

polyphony question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnipotentrb

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: polyphony question Reply with quote

Im using an mpc as my main sequencer, and I was wondering how to use multiple sounds out of the microkorg to use on different tracks so that they could all play at the same time..Anyone know how to do this?
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The microKorg only has 4 notes of polyphony and is 1 part multi-timbral, so you're going to have record or sample the audio it spits out for each of your sequenced parts.

Daz.
omnipotentrb

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really get it, is their another faster way to do it without sampling?
TrondC

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the microkorg can only play 4 notes at the same time, no matter what you do. that's what "polyphony" means. Also, it can only play one patch at a time (one program), so you can't have it play one note from program A01, one form A02 etc at the same time. sorry, but seems like the thing you want to do can't be done on the microkorg

www.myspace.com/SiestaSubmarina
http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com
plosive

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're thinking about buying one and that's why you are asking... the MS2000 can have 2 timbres (meaning you can play 2 seperate patches at a time), though you split the total # of polyphonic voicing between the two: 3-1, 2-2, 1-3. that's a classic korg-esque way to approach a monophonic slash four voice poly synth (also a trademark character goin way back). there is only 1 stereo output on the MS2000, both voices will share this output.
fac

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plosive wrote:
there is only 1 stereo output on the MS2000, both voices will share this output.

And even worse, both timbres will also share the same effects (and some other parameters as well).

If you want serious polyphony and multiple parts, you should look at something with better specs, like a Radias or a Nord Lead 2X.
ronP

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long wondered why KORG did not include an 8 note -- 1 OSC per voice -- polyphony option on the mK.

Since a LAYER patch reduces the mK's polyphony from 4 to 2, why not add a one-Osc-per-voice patch option raising it from 4 to 8?

Confused

fac

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronP wrote:

I have long wondered why KORG did not include an 8 note -- 1 OSC per voice -- polyphony option on the mK.

Since a LAYER patch reduces the mK's polyphony from 4 to 2, why not add a one-Osc-per-voice patch option raising it from 4 to 8?

Confused

Because an MS2000 voice does not consists of only oscillators. If you want to increase polyphony, you must also increase the number of filters, envelopes and LFO's.

What they could have done, IMO, was a 4-part multitimbral synth, where you could play 4 independent monophonic parts. And I don't think it would have been difficult to add aux sends to each part so you could control the effect amount for each sound, even if there were only two effects for all parts. When the "B" re-release came out, I initially thought Korg had implemented some or all of these features, but they didn't do anything to the OS, so I kept my two old MS2000R's.
Volks

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldnt the ms2000b be circuit bent or hacked to allow more polyphony?
i own a ms2000b and i just wish it was 6 notes. just 2 more notes would seriously be SO usefull.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volks wrote:
couldnt the ms2000b be circuit bent or hacked to allow more polyphony?
i own a ms2000b and i just wish it was 6 notes. just 2 more notes would seriously be SO usefull.

Perhaps that's why the R3 has 8 polyphony and Radias has 24.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: