Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential OASYS customer.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Potential OASYS customer. Reply with quote

I would like to ask a simple question, and any answer that I receive will help me out greatly. I am wanting to record quality audio tracks. With the Korg OASYS, can I potentially take a song to a finished master? Or will I still have to run it through a DAW anyway? I am looking at this against a Mac/Logic setup. Feedback please?
devix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this, but remember that there are only 16 audio track!!!!!
Imho for professional recording Mac/Pc are the best thing: NO LIMIT!!!!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beats -

You can indeed bring it through to a finished master. Given the incredible array of instruments, effects including mastering effects such as multiband compressors, limiters and so forth and audio recording, there's absolutely nothing stopping you doing a complete job on the OASYS.

Of course how good your master will be will depend on many other factors, such as quality of writing, playing, acoustics of your environment and knowledge of mastering and so on; but given all of those, the OASYS is very capable. Its effects in particular (in this regard) are absolutely stunning.

Devix is correct - usually a DAW will be a first choice for many focused on recording only. Nevertheless, while a DAW provides more scope in recording, editing and effects; it will not fundamentally provide a better master.

If you think that OASYS's feature set is extensive enough, you can do complete jobs on it; but I would not look on it as a replacement to a DAW. The comparison is not that valid as they are very different beasts.

Other dimensions to the OASYS helping produce excellent complete works include -
- Less fuss than a DAW
- Integration of various components
- Excellent 'blending' of sounds because there are coming from the same instrument even if wildly different in character, which IMO can help with mixing
- CDs created by the OASYS are absolutely impeccable - absolutely no noise whatsoever and genuinely HUGELY impressive.

But remember - the OASYS serves many purposes and is not desigend exactly like a software bassed DAW. Ultimately it's a performance instrument with fabulous workstation features. It's not meant to be simply a DAW.

I'd recommend thinking clearly through exactly what you are looking for; and then go to the www.korg.com OASYS page and examine its feature set, or download the manual and look through that. It'd be an expensive mistake to make if you're after a DAW in particular but purchased an OASYS!!

But if an OASYS is what you are after; you can, despite less flexability than a full blown DAW, produce stunningly produced and completely finished pieces and CDs within the OASYS.

Kevin.
przemm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beats,

I bought Oasys as a all-in-one solution but currently I use it only as a sound source and sketchpad. You can produce quality music with it - no doubt — provided you've got the skills, but in my case current limitations (sequencer, preamps, some effects) forced me to switch to DAW. In my opinion, due to its limitations Oasys is not suitable for serious tracking, editing, mixing - it is an amazing performance tool with excellent sound, but lacking so much in editing/mixing department. Currently, my Oasys is a sound source in my DAW system consisting of the latest Mac Pro, Logic 8/Cubase, Mackie Control Pro, Eventide H8000FW, TC Electronic SK48 and DK32, quality preamps, etc. I am happy with the Oasys as it is and have no regrets for buying it. Also I get more and more excited with the latest developments. I love the integration, sounds, feel, looks etc. but today I would probably not spend 7k dollars, knowing that it will function only as a sound source while there are some cheaper options available with similar sonic quality.

That is my perspective, though.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing all my songs with just the OASYS, even running other synths into it.

devix wrote:

Actually, you can have access to 100s, even 1000s of tracks, by assigning your waves to sample slots.

Example: I'm recording my Virus TI to the OASYS HD tracks, because the polyphony sucks, but I want to do an all Virus song. I'm using both MIDI and Audio tracks, which I save as a Sequence file, called "Virus Song". A "Virus Song_A" (audio) folder is also created. Now, I can do this:

(It sounds like a long process, but just pick your file and press OPEN 3 times.)

* Go to DISK LOAD and select the "Virus Song_A" file.

* Select OPEN and you will see a "SONG000" folder.

* Select OPEN, again and you will see Audio Track folders...

ATRACK01
ATRACK02
ATRACK03

...and so on.

* Select ATRACK01 and select OPEN, again. You will now see

TRK01_00WAV
TRK01_01WAV

* The first one is usually empty, so select TRK01_01WAV, then LOAD. Repeat for each track.

The wave files are now in your sample slots and can be assigned to any key or range of keys. Obviously, 88 keys times 16 or 32 programs (in dual osc) makes for many potential tracks or sounds. You are only limited by your RAM and polyphony.

If you have the computer, that's probably the way to go, but this workaround is really great if you want to apply filters and other FX to your tracks.
Beats

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

Thank you everyone with your responses, I'll do my best.

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, you can have access to 100s, even 1000s of tracks, by assigning your waves to sample slots.

I always knew there was some run around--as I am familiar with engineering and Korg's products.
Quote:
Imho for professional recording Mac/Pc are the best thing: NO LIMIT!!

That makes a lot of sense and a good point, a obvious strength of the DAW.

Mr. Noland, you have some good points and delivery, that make me want to give the OASYS a real shot. Because for some reason, after investing in the Korg TR some years ago, I have been obsessed with workstations--as far as 'doing it all'. My musical need since then, has changed dramatically, and now I am needing some quality audio vocal tracks, to mix them down with the track all in one box. But, what did you mean by a DAW "not fundamentally provide a better master?"

Przemm, you are very correct, I have heard nothing but excellent thing about the OASYS, especially the sound modeling. Potentially, with this keyb, you may never have to make another investmen again. And you said "your current limitations (sequencer, preamps, some effects) forced me to switch to DAW." What did you mean by that?
przemm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beats,

(1) The sequencer
It is light years behind any current DAW. Of course, nobody expects a full-blown sequencer like Cubase in Oasys, but there are some core functionalities that are missing like piano roll. For me, it is the weakest part of the Oasys, because I have never had any other Korg board before and am spoiled by computer DAWS. You will find lots of info on the sequencer on this forum. Apart from that the sequencer in my unit is buggy – in denser arrangements with many audio files, WAV files get desynchronized with MIDI – it is an awful experience, but I gather it is only my unit.

Audio editing - to me, practically non-existent compared to modern DAWs. Of course, you can transfer the WAV files to the computer for manipulation but you have to do this manually - no clever solution as, say, in Akai DPS24.

(2) Preamps - very noisy at higher gain. Also I find them muddy compared even to stock preamps in my audio interface (I use Neumann U89 and KS105 mics) - if you care about vocals, in some point in time you will end up with external gear. Also I would never record a guitar directly to Oasys - neither bass, electro-acoustic or electric - many times I tried to record my beautiful sounding Parker Classic directly through Oasys inputs but the outcome was always dissatisfying – to my ears it sounded flat, uninteresting, lacking in separation and definition. There has to be an external preamp between Oasys and the source.

(3) Some effects are very good like Overb but some sound are just bad like most modulation effects.

As I said, that’s my experience. For 7 000 euro you can have Mac Pro, Logic 8, Motif XS, good preamp and mic. As far as synth sounds you get very close to Oasys, but the possibilities in tracking, editing, sequencing and mixing are endless.

Every comparison is based on some reference points – I look at the Oasys from the perspective of computer DAW and high quality external gear. At present, I don’t use many functions of Oasys, like HD recording, most effects or preamps.

Of course, it is the final outcome, the music, that matters most. For me, I get better results with a computer DAW.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

przemm wrote:
in denser arrangements with many audio files, WAV files get desynchronized with MIDI – it is an awful experience, but I gather it is only my unit.

Probably not just your unit. Someone else posted that same issue, a while back.
Drunky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

every point of view is perfect as it is. It depends on what you are looking for.
I have my O in my home studio. Plus a V-synth GT, one Akai MPC2500 and a XP/PC. No other external device, filters, effects etc..
For my experience the Oasys is absolutely the gear that I need. I don't need other equipment for my music. No external effects and nothing that cannot be done there. And has simplified a lot my studio. (Also if talking about simplify related to the Oasys is beastly!)
That's my opinion
Regards
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats -

I own a large number and array of synthesizers; and a Logic Pro environment with many plugins; yet my OASYS, now over two years old, excites me every day - a rare occurrence in these times of jaded and often less than adequate music technology. It's a class act

So - because it excites me, I enjoy sitting at it, exploring it, playing it, learning it, recording on it and completing works on it. The old cliché works PERFECTLY here - if 4 tracks were good enough for the Beatles, then if 32(+) tracks on the OASYS are not good enough, then it’s not the OASYS, its your music!

The bottom line is - you can indeed complete jobs on the OASYS; to a stunning level of production. One piece I completed on it recently was given to an experienced engineer and he was very impressed by the non-existent noise floor, the overall balance of the piece and the master quality in general (this engineer has worked with many top artists in top facilities). Admittedly there were no external audio sources recorded on the piece.

Do DAWS provide huge advantages in many areas - yes. But the OASYS is genuinely capable. It's flawed, limited....and so on... but so is every other piece of music technology. So you have to learn to get around its limitations – but what’s new? To me that’s not a disadvantage – it puts manners on the work approach and forces decisions that actually speed up the process. I see no fundamental limitations here. Uniquely, so extensive is the OASYS, that will take a life time to discover its actual limitation Smile

The OASYS ergonomics are excellent – touch screen, illuminated (very useful) fader and knob controllers, vector joystick, pads, ribbon controller, graded hammer action keyboard – all together in one package; providing joy and inspiration in playing, composing and recording. As debate threads on an OASYS 2 and on other manufacturers workstations indicate - the likes of OASYS do not come along often.

Do not expect the OASYS to be all things in all scenarios. Expect it to frustrate and so on - but – it can and does deliver exquisitely to many who have bought one.

I get the distinct impression you simply want one - probably the best rreason to buy ine; but of course you want to be sure you can fulfil your music ambitions on it. The answer is - yes - more than with any other workstation available. The better comparison is the one you raise – against other workstations - is it more capable than any other workstation - absolutely (although the Fanthon G sequencer looks seriously good!).

But you seem to be a workstation fan, and if this is your preferred work mode - you're going to absolutely love the OASYS to death.

Kevin.
Drew FM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 track MIDI, 16 Audio....Start bouncing tracks Cool
franzlp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the word of Ralph kramden... "Some people are never satisfied" The Oasys is an instrument that will keep you busy creating for years and years to come. The instrument is the Mazarati of synth workstations. It simply blows away any other self integrated system out there. It's computer resources are completely dedicated towards music production and not as in a traditional computer where the system is doing housekeeping outside of your music tasks. Get one and you will NEVER be sorry. With this instrument I've put all my others in storage.
RobertPlatinum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Beats -

The old cliché works PERFECTLY here - if 4 tracks were good enough for the Beatles, then if 32(+) tracks on the OASYS are not good enough, then it’s not the OASYS, its your music!

Kevin.

True indeed. Alot of times people get caught up in trying to find the piece of gear that will make them sound better.
przemm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course that the bad workman blames his tools - it all depends on your skills and music you produce. In my opinion Oasys is a great synth, no doubt - if you know how to use it, you can make great music. But you can't compare it to a professional tracking/editing/mixing enviroment in terms of the sound quality of recorded audio tracks - you can't compare Oasys preamps, converters, effects to high-end gear like Millenia, Eventide or Apogee. But it all depends on your priorities, music you create and the budget.

I am not whinning but I am far from Oasys worship - it is primarily an instrument with extra features, but it has got its pros and cons as everything. For me, it is not a studio replacement in terms of flexibility and workflow as well.

Beats, you didn't say anything about the type of music you create but you should also bear in mind that Oasys is more suited for electronic music - pads, leads, synth sounds are unbelivably good - organic, super clear - but if you like me are more in acoustic instruments, in my mind you should probably look somewhere else, probably not any other synths but sample libraries. Recently I listened to Ivory pianos and East West orchestral, ethnic and drum samples and, with all respect to Oasys pianos, strings and drums or Karo libraries, I was amazed, especially with Ivory pianos. I am an audiophile and spend hours listening to classical and acoustic music and I think I can trust my ears in that respect.

Taking into cosideration the processing power of current Mac Pros, the stability of Logic 8 and the sound quality of some sample libraries - it is really a hard choice. Today, knowing the pros and cons of Oasys, I think I'd choose another route. No regrets thought - I learned a lot, love many sounds, have written some great music, got much inspiration. But again, that is me, my ears and my needs:-).
franzlp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't disagree more with you statement that the Oasys is more suited to pads and electronic music. It is a revolutionary piece of gear. I am not one into any sort of worship of equipment but as a musician with meticoulous ear and also and Electrical engineer well aware of the technology that this instrument is I can say tha the B3 simulations and other acoustic simulations are remarkable to say the least. It is not meant of course to replace a studio but when you do hear a piano that has a piano damper simulation like the Oasys it sets itself apart. A mac Pro will never get to where an Oasys is because it will always share it's resources with the house keeping the rest of the OS must maintain. The Oasys is totally dedicated to the mechanics of synthesis. I as many other have been enlightened by this instrument. Don't go to the dark side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: