Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you start playing piano before getting into keyboards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Well?
I played piano before taking up keyboards.
60%
 60%  [ 21 ]
It's always been keyboards... never touched a piano.
40%
 40%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 35

eibbor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Did you start playing piano before getting into keyboards? Reply with quote

Seems like a pollable question, and I'm curious to see the responses.

I never played piano. My mom bought a Casio keyboard when I was maybe 5 years old, and I just learned to play that. I gave it up for a few years from 13 to 19 years old (played guitar mostly), but have since gotten into the keyboard world quite heavily again.

Topics for discussion:

- Do you think having some experience with a real piano is critical to developing proper technique?

- What's your musical background? Has it always been keyboards and synths, or did you start with something completely different?

- What style of music do you play?

- Do you consider yourself a technically proficient keyboardist?

- How much emphasis should a keyboardist place on tinkering with the electronic side of the instrument, relative to actually being able to play?

Wow, I really made that open-ended. But whatever. I'm curious.
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Did you start playing piano before getting into keyboard Reply with quote

eibbor wrote:

Topics for discussion:

- Do you think having some experience with a real piano is critical to developing proper technique?

- What's your musical background? Has it always been keyboards and synths, or did you start with something completely different?

- How much emphasis should a keyboardist place on tinkering with the electronic side of the instrument, relative to actually being able to play?

Wow, I really made that open-ended. But whatever. I'm curious.

1. Having experience to playing keyboard being critical? I don't know... I write a lot and have had not one lick of experience with piano (I actually hate the way a piano sounds). I truly believe that having piano experience is very - VERY important!!

2. My musical background is the worst. I learned to play bass for a speed metal band and learned early on that I enjoyed all music. My Father played acoustic (12 string) and electric guitar. The one thing I learned about music, and I think this is important to all musicians and all musical styles, don't limit yourself. Try all things, do all things - perform the things that you are able to and strive to do thing you are yet unable to do.

3. Hardcore Industrial. My wife and I actually call our style Industrial Wall.

4. Technically proficient at programming and arranging yes. Playing a keyboard as an instrument - no.

5. As a bass player I think about this often. I tinker only as much as I need to in order to create the sound I'm looking for. This question is hard as I can tell you:

A proficient player can get the sound and presence they are looking for with less effort.

A sound engineer can play/tinker with any sound and work to make it work no matter what.

Honestly, it's a trade off. Sometimes I can hit the song or groove spot on without any adjustment or tinkering from pure know how or talent (not to sound ego maniac here). Other times, no matter how hard I try, my skill lacks something and the right effect just makes it hit where it needs to. A true musician is like any artist - we work with many mediums to get the result we are looking for. If the audience likes it - success!!!
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play and still play the piano... I think it's a really good starting point to learn how to play keyboards cos you don't have to concentrate on black and white keys but you can start to think at the os, synthesis and other aspects of playing synths... anyway there is the dark side too... it's difficult for a piano player to learn different techniques like hammond playing or monophonic + controllers. In fact you can see a great keyboard player like Jordan Rudess who plays every kind of synth instrument like a real piano.
Regards, Lorenzo
Bigs

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with keyboard lessons when I was 11. Unfortunately, playing some simplified melody lines over (non-broken) chords doesn't really help develop real technique.

So after a few years when I was getting interested in playing keys again I also took up piano (there already was a digital grand piano in the house thanks to my girlfriend). Thanks to some challenging pieces and proper technical excercises (for finger independence etc.) my technique has taken leaps. I've never played my Jordan Rudess riffs so fluently Smile Also, piano is fun to play and a nice break from the usual synth business.
chocojoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been playing piano for about 12 years. I was clasically trained from age 4 through about age 10, then had a little more laid back lessons from age 10 until 16 (now). They were still regular piano lessons, but didn't really have as much musical theory and what not.

I just started playing keyboards about 3 months ago when I bought a Triton Extreme. I was inspired by Jordan Rudess and realized how much you can really do with keyboards. I've still to learn a lot of stuff though. I barely even know what an oscillator is!

Right now, I've been using my triton extreme as a digital piano for gigs, but I want to learn to be able to use it for more than that.
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Did you start playing piano before getting into keyboard Reply with quote

Quote:

"Proper" is where this question stumps me. I don't know if there is truly ONE best technique. However I do believe that playing a real piano builds strength in ones hands and teaches you quite a bit about patience on the keyboard. It would be good to have one available to you in your developmental years.

Quote:

I started with guitar and moved to piano. By my early teens I owned a synth or two off and on. By my late teens I had about six. I still play a variety of instruments though mostly keyboards.

Quote:

I started out in Jazz and moved quickly to Electronica before basically becoming Pop/Rock as a whole.

Quote:

I can both play and program synths. I would like to be more skilled at the actual playing of piano (like say being able to sight read and play, which I can BARELY do)...but I believe I excel in other areas to compensate (to my knowledge I was born with perfect pitch and can play many technical parts with a minimal listen).

Quote:

It depends on your final goal. If your goal is to be proficient with your instrument, and that instrument is an electric keyboard or synth, you should know something about all of it. On the other hand, you do not have to be deeply skilled with the programming no more than a pianist HAS to know how to tune a piano to be considered proficient at it.

Solo[/quote]

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took parallel lessons for piano and accordion for almost 10 years before I even touched a keyboard.

I do believe it was and still is the crucial thing for my work as a musician. Proper (which is such a broad term, because not every playing technique is adequate for every music genre) technique is very, very important if one sees himself as a musician.

I see myself as a technically proficient player (not only keyboardist, because I play accordion also), but my technique is unique to my music. I can't play organs and rock music as some rock player, but rock player also doesn't stand a chance when it comes to eastern, balkan music. His fingers aren't trained in proper way to play our music, and I don't listen rock so I don't have good ideas what to do and what to play. Those are main differences.

Quote:
How much emphasis should a keyboardist place on tinkering with the electronic side of the instrument, relative to actually being able to play?

This depends on personal preferences and abilities. There are generally four types of keyboardists:
1. skilled in playing technique and skilled in programming and using all the potential of their workstation/synth/arranger keyboard;
2. skilled in playing technique but more or less layman in this other field;
3. average player and average programmer;
4. bad or average player, but amazing sound creator, imaginative, keyboard power-user, mastermind in producing the music, unique sounds, unique beats etc.

Type 2 depends on type 4 and vice versa. Type 2 can't express his virtuosity without good sounds and is very handicapped if he has to force him self to play on bad sounds. Type 4 can create miracles, but every once in a while he has to search for type 2 to play his things. Type 1 and type 3 are usually self-sufficient.

So their is no easy answer to last question. Once I didn't have Extreme I was better player. I just practiced my fingers for 5 or 6 hours a day. Now I practice for 1 or 2 hours and program 4 or 5 hours. Once I manage my Extreme to sound exactly the way I want it, there will be new tempting workstation on the market and there I'll go again.

Long story short, I voted for the first option.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Did you start playing piano before getting into keyboard Reply with quote

eibbor wrote:

Critical......no, but helpful. I started out with the organ actually. My father was a big fan of organ music, so we had one in the house. Lessons were somewhat less than exciting, but they helped me learn keyboard technique and of course reading music in general.

eibbor wrote:

I write a lot of music that falls into the following genres: New Age, Electronica, Ambient, Light Jazz, Pop/Rock, and Trance. Influences include (but not limited to): ELP, Genesis, Yes, Icehouse, Journey, Susan Ciani, & Jean Michel Jarre.

eibbor wrote:

Sometimes.....but not every day! It still comes down to practice, practice, practice. Smile

eibbor wrote:

This is a pet peeve of mine......people who won't even crack open the manual and learn basic synth programming. Sure it takes some time, but when I hear someone ask, "can someone program a good 'JUMP' sound for me," my first response is, "do it yourself." You don't have to spend 8 hours a day learning oscillators, filters, LFO's, and envelopes, just don't be afraid to turn a knob or adjust a slider once in awhile!

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: