Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Independant labels and self publishing.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Independant labels and self publishing. Reply with quote

I see several bands have their own label, ran by themselves to publish their music. I was wondering, what is the point of this? Does a band -need- a label to produce and distribute a cd or can they just do it independently?

It's confusing that there are labels with only one band on them such as Hall of Sermon or Abracadaver etc.
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they may be doing two things:

1. Giving themselves the opportunity to expand and maybe sign other bands to their labels and thus helping them start or make business.

2. To not totally look like they have nothing. Sort of like endorsements.

It's easy now to promote yourself and the only great thing about Major Labels is that you will see world tours. If you want to travel the world as an indpendent label or even on your own, you have to pay some if not all of the expenses. There are companies online that will now put anyones music on iTunes, Rhapsody and Amazon for a pretty small fee (less than $100 and usually under half of that). The band it's all the sales too!! Consider how it would be for most wanting to buy new music and don't see a label? Making your own label with the prospect of maybe gaining more business and "fooling" people into believing that you are sought after may be the driving force behind this.
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

However I wonder how it looks to a prospective label if they see you are already signed. I could very well make my own label to look more professional but I hope that wouldn't make a major label think twice about picking up the band.
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even. Think like a major label:

I am power
I am influence
I am money
oh, I have such sights to show you!!!
I am corporate
I will own you if I please

They know who their competition is and who to watch out for. I would think seeing an independent or even personal label would make them want to talk to you more - sort of like a good sport with no real challenge.
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little more food for thought.

Your band 'is' your business and you should approach it that way unless you are just playing for fun. As with all businesses there's a lot to be said for having a pro image and doing business in a pro manner.

On the legal side of things, taking the time to set up a legal structure, signing up with ASCAP, setting up your physical CD correctly with ISRC codes, etc. etc., shows people you are serious and that you have taken the time to go through the steps... you've done your homework. The last EM mag had a good article about this aspect. Check it out. I've been able to easily walk into some doors because I have my own label and am incorporated. LLC is the best simply because it has the protection of incorporation and is easy to set up and take down. Wish I had done that.

I set up my own label because I have no intention of ever signing with a major label, and I can do whatever I want with my music without having to consult anyone. If a major label is your goal you might want to take the time to really research that. You might change your mind. Most musicians are doing it themselves now. Some musicians might come out ahead with major labels but there are a million stories to the contrary. I recently read an article by Courtney Love about this. You know Courtney, full of explicatives but she was right in her assessment. Google Courtney Love and you will likely run into that article. I don't remember where I read it.

All that said, you can go about your business without ever doing any of that. Many people do. A major label is not going to care one way or the other. If they want you, they will approach you. If not, they won't. What they are looking for are bands that are already successful and have a big following and are already making money. If you 'there' then you don't need a major label anyway.

Best advice... do your homework. Read and research so you can make the best decisions for yourself and your band. Everything you need to know can be found on the internet or in books. If you decide to do anything legal do it right and save yourself some grief.

Cheers,
Susan
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really comes down to why you are doing music.

If you are in it for the money or to be a star then aim for the big wave: a major label with all the trimmings.

If you really have developed song writing skills, look for a strong publisher that can get your music into hands that will use your songs. That is also one of the biggest money makers available.

If you want to keep it simple, but legal, and have written lots of music, form your own publishing company and create a catalog. If you have a desire to distribute music you record then form your own label.

Many small labels have gotten larger label distribution because they kept it legal. Larger labels DO get jealous even with under a hundred thousand units per year. They want a piece of any action over 20-50 thousand...especially if you accomplish that with minimal marketing.

Solo

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information guys.

The options are endless, as are most things with music. Of course, I want to have fun with music, but at the same time, I want to be professional. I am considering setting up my own label for legal reasons and am already working on a CD or two, but there are also factors on play.

For example, I know it's possible a record company could get you publicity you can't necessarily get on your own. After all, a lot of the bands that are going independent now like NIN already got their name out there by being on major labels. Myspace and LastFM can only take you so far. Also, one could finance their own tour, but actually getting good gigs, tour mates etc on ones own makes something like that daunting and almost impractical.

On the other hand, like you said, a label is going to look for someone who is already independently successful so if you are, then you should just be able to market yourself. For someone like me though, who's music isn't even marketable in one's own country, it makes it harder to "make it" on your own.

Hehe, I guess I approach this as if getting signed were a certainly of any musical group, but it is at least something that I am sure they have all thought about. And keep in mind, I bare no illusions about making it big and getting a label to take care of me... the only thing a label is good to me is for distro and advertisements. Eating peanut butter sandwiches daily to be a professional musician is fine with me but one wants to get their stuff out there somehow.
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Courtney Love article.

http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new found respect for Courtney Love. Excellent article.
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting read. And yes, I never thought much of her before reading this.

I agree wholeheartedly with what she says, not to mention she has the experience to back it up. However, where are the bands that start from scratch with no label and do a self promoted world tour based solely on the momentum they gain from the internet? I don't see any, and if they are out there, they must be playing to some very small venues.

I hope that changes though... but I can't see it happening with the limited scope of view that the general public has.
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good point. What we might see over the next years is a flattening of the entire structure as more and more opportunities become available for indie artists and as more artists set up their own structures. So rather than the few who are known and the rest not known at all, there will be many artists in many genres and sub-genres who are known to whatever degree they can manage. I'm just guessing like everyone else but that is where it is headed it seems to me. Some will always pop up to the top and it may or may not have anything to do with the record labels in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: