Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KLC and the future..........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: KLC and the future.......... Reply with quote

I have been a fan and user of Korg products for years, however I never owned a M1. I plan on buying KLC Digital this week, and after doing some research, I see that now is includes the sounds from the T series as well. I think it's a great move by Korg to offer some of it's synths as virtual instruments.

My question is why don't they offer even more of their keyboards as virtual instruments? (Like the Tritons and even the M3 and the Oasys)

I would never buy an Oasys (too expensive for me), and I don't have anymore room in my house for another hardware workstation like the M3, but if it was available as a VST, I would buy it in a heartbeat. There are softsynths out there that carry better specs, but most hardware synths and workstations have killer presets.

If Korg doesn't want to do that, (it would seem that Roland and Yamaha don't want to either), then why don't they actually start making softsynths?
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: KLC and the future.......... Reply with quote

kb420 wrote:
My question is why don't they offer even more of their keyboards as virtual instruments? (Like the Tritons and even the M3 and the Oasys)

Because they actually want to sell the hardware synths, without killing off their core business (software isn't their core business.)

I doubt that these synths will be the last from Korg, but they are never going to make a software version of their latest technology, it would be crazy from a business point of view to do that - who's going to spend a grand on a synth when they can get exactly the same engine and sounds for a hundred quid in software?
kb420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: KLC and the future.......... Reply with quote

Ben Hall wrote:
kb420 wrote:

Because they actually want to sell the hardware synths, without killing off their core business (software isn't their core business.)

I doubt that these synths will be the last from Korg, but they are never going to make a software version of their latest technology, it would be crazy from a business point of view to do that - who's going to spend a grand on a synth when they can get exactly the same engine and sounds for a hundred quid in software?

The same people who buy hardware synths anyway. Not everyone uses a computer. For what it's worth, there are a lot more options in software now than there are in hardware, yet hardware synths are still selling, and companies are still making them. I actually thought that Neko was the beginning of the end for hardware synths, then Roland released the Fantom G.

The point I am trying to make is that there is a market for both hardware and software. Companies like Roland, Yamaha, and Korg really wouldn't be losing anything at all by releasing software versions of the synths. I use to think that it would be crazy for them to do so, but not anymore. Not at all.

I don't tour or do shows, so there really is no need at all for me to buy any hardware workstation or synth. I have a ton of softsynths and samplers in vst and rtas format. So as it stands, those three companies won't get any sales from me (except for the KLC Digital that I plan on buying) in the forseeable future. Now, if they released a Motif XS VST, or a Oasys VST, or even a Fantom G VST, I would be all over it.

So as far as users like myself are concerned, are they losing money by making vst's of their latest instruments, or losing money by not doing so?
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: KLC and the future.......... Reply with quote

kb420 wrote:
yet hardware synths are still selling

Yes, but not nearly in the numbers they used to, whenhardware synths were the *only* option.

When was the last time you bought a hardware synth? I mean, ok, if you gig, you need a keyboard, and in a studio, you need at least one keyboard, and there are lots of casual musicians who don't want to be faffing around with computers (although they mostly aren't that interested in *synthesisers* anyway, more real keyboard sounds to play).

From that point on, apart from the hobbyist mentality, where's the need to buy more hardware?

kb420 wrote:
The point I am trying to make is that there is a market for both hardware and software

Agreed. It just might not be a big enough market to bother with too much, especially concerning the illegal use angle.

kb420 wrote:
Companies like Roland, Yamaha, and Korg really wouldn't be losing anything at all by releasing software versions of the synths.

So why do you think they are not doing this?

kb420 wrote:
Now, if they released a Motif XS VST, or a Oasys VST, or even a Fantom G VST, I would be all over it.?

Of course, don't get me wrong, they would get sales. But they would be selling that technology at 200 quid a pop, rather than 2000 quid for the hardware version. And sales of the hardware would drop significantly, because a lot of people who want the sounds, and might be tempted enough to buy the hardware, will now be able to get that stuff for a tenth of the price.

They've just reduced the exclusivity and desirability of their technology by ten.

kb420 wrote:
So as far as users like myself are concerned, are they losing money by making vst's of their latest instruments, or losing money by not doing so?

If they thought that making software versions of their latest instruments was a worthwhile thing to do, that it would make money and further the business, then we would already have virtual Oasys'/Motif/V-Synth etc.

Those products *don't* exist, so up to now, those companies clearly do not thing that business is worthwhile - even the ones, like Korg, who have stepped into the software instrument market (and the Korg instruments have been pretty successful, as far as I can see...)

In the future, well, who knows....
mjammer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: How much better does the Oasys sound than the Legacy? Reply with quote

How much better does the Oasys and newer Korg Hardwares sound than the Legacy?
I heard some samples from these keyboards and also test driven newer keyboards from other manaufactuers and I really don't see or HEAR what I am missing out on? I am having more fun exploring the legacy collection. SOLID SOUNDS.
kb420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, you make some good points, but I just think that in general people fear change. In my opinion, computers are the future. I think that anyone who doesn't see the computer's capabilities, or can't seem to think of their computer as a musical instrument (that may be a little extreme) are missing out on a whole world of possibilities.

I guess from a business standpoint, everything you said is correct, but you can't blame a guy for dreaming anyway!!!!!
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb420 wrote:
Ben, you make some good points, but I just think that in general people fear change. In my opinion, computers are the future. I think that anyone who doesn't see the computer's capabilities, or can't seem to think of their computer as a musical instrument (that may be a little extreme) are missing out on a whole world of possibilities.

Sure. But the converse is also true - not everybody *wants* to use a computer. Some people want to just pick up a guitar, chuck a keyboard in the car, setup and play. Some people *don't want* a "world of possibilities" - they just want to be able to switch on, and instantly play a nice piano sound.

In this regard, computers are still quite far behind (turn the computer on, wait a couple of minutes for it to boot, run your host application and wait for it to load, load a sampler plugin, load a piano patch and wait for it to load, check your audio interface is turned on - in the time it's taken to do this, the dude with the keyboard has recorded his part... twice..! Wink )

Computers are an excellent tool for many tasks - this doesn't make them by default *always* the best tool in any situation. There's still many reasons to have hardware.

kb420 wrote:
I guess from a business standpoint, everything you said is correct, but you can't blame a guy for dreaming anyway!!!!!

Oh don't get me wrong, nice instruments and good sounds are always welcome. But really, it's not like we are lacking good software - and in many cases, the software does go beyond what even the top end hardware can do...
kb420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Hall wrote:

Sure. But the converse is also true - not everybody *wants* to use a computer. Some people want to just pick up a guitar, chuck a keyboard in the car, setup and play. Some people *don't want* a "world of possibilities" - they just want to be able to switch on, and instantly play a nice piano sound.

In this regard, computers are still quite far behind (turn the computer on, wait a couple of minutes for it to boot, run your host application and wait for it to load, load a sampler plugin, load a piano patch and wait for it to load, check your audio interface is turned on - in the time it's taken to do this, the dude with the keyboard has recorded his part... twice..! Wink )
Computers are an excellent tool for many tasks - this doesn't make them by default *always* the best tool in any situation. There's still many reasons to have hardware.

Here is a pic of my setup, and you are correct in that as well, but I love the flexibility and vast possibilities of using a computer.

To the right, just outside the photo is a Motif ES 7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: