Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LCD backlight replacement for Korg 01/W ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radkobe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: LCD backlight replacement for Korg 01/W ? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
where can I find LCD backlight replacement for my Korg 01/W ?
blabay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these guys online. Haven't used them but the prices seem reasonable. Keep in mind that this is a fairly technical job that requires some level of skill.

http://www.samplerbacklights.com/
GargoyleStudio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the UK and I've just ordered one of these panels:

http://www.glowsafe.com/e-shop/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=161

It's due to arrive in the next few days and I'll be fitting it in the next few weeks. Hopefully it'll work...

I'll keep you posted.

Mike.
luischardon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced mine last monday. Mine is a 01R/W (rack version) but it uses the same LCD.

I got one from the samplerbacklights guy. It was a pretty simple soldering job, just desoldered the 2 contacts from the old one, cut them and just squeezed the new one between the lcd and the old backlight and then just soldered the new one's contact to the board.

The hardest part was taking it all apart, specially opening up the LCD itself, the rest was easy.

Before:

After:
GargoyleStudio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just finished replacing the EL panel and it looks great! Just the same as the photos of the O1R/W above. Couldn't take any photos myself because my camera was out of batteries.

Anyway, apart from the hassle of taking the O1W apart, it was bit of a nightmare because my EL panel was too large and when I cut it down to size I cut the power tracks! Managed to butcher it back into working order after a couple of hours though and with a bit more fiddling I managed to locate it nicely between the LCD display and the old backlight panel.

All in all it's taken about 3 hours work on the O1W plus the 2 hours with the backlight. A good day's work I think.

Incidentally, it seems that samplerbacklights.com doesn't exist anymore. Is there another address for this person?

Mike.
korgbacklights

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Korg 01/W backlight Reply with quote

Hi,

I have moved the site www.samplerbacklights.com to www3.sympatico.ca/synthlights if you are still looking for an 01/w backlight.

A user 'luischardon' of this site has posted the photos of the backlight as he installed it in his 01wr rackmount. This is the one we sell and you can see it right here at this site.
dimitrios

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have the same predicament with my Korg N364. Does anyone have any idea where I can find a replacement backlight?

Mike (above), the one you bought from Glowsafe did the job for your 01R/W. Did I undersand right that you cut it to the dimensions of the backlight on the synth?

Help. I am a bit lost...

Thanks

Dimitris
GargoyleStudio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yep, I bought one from Glowsafe. But, it's too wide and too long!

Essentially, it's a completely flat plastic panel with two leads coming off it at some point. When the leads are connected to power then it glows evenly all over - bit spooky! I had quite a bit of trouble with mine because of two problems:

Glowsafe don't connect the leads to the edge of their panel, they connect them on the back face of the panel off-centre. So, firstly, you have to find out where the connections go because they actually go to the edge of the panel, and then you need to avoid cutting the connections when cutting the panel to size.

Second, the connections are soldered onto copper strips and this means there's a lump in the back of the panel. This makes that part of the panel too thick to go between the glass LCD and the old light panel.

First off, I cut through the tracks and the panel didn't work anymore. But, after I relocated the connections and copper strips to the edge of my panel it worked again and it was also then thin enough to slide into the space. This might sound easy but it took me 2 hours!

All in all, I wouldn't recommend the Glowsafe product for this particular application (good product otherwise) unless you can't find anything else. Maybe if you asked them, they'd manufacture you a specific size with appropriate connections?

I looked at the korgbacklights website, and it seemed reasonable. I'd order from them if I had to do it again.

Mike.
dimitrios

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Mike, thanks for all the info. I've already got in touch with Glowsafe. I must say their correspondence has been fantastic and very prompt. As about the flat panel, it was great you writing to explain all that, so now if I have to order from Glowsafe I'll know what to expect.

I think now I'm going to start a chain about how to locate a specific piece of software that converts .pcg (and .sng?) files to sysex so one can avoid using the floppy drive and send files directly from a PC. My drive has stopped responding (data error).

Again, thanks Mike.

Dimitris
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends,

Glad to see more of this kind of replacement.

I used a different experimental low V. light panel that can be cut in any size with just scissors...; (see the thread posting on this General Korg Synth subject ... somewhere...)

It is just great for less than $20...The new tech does have adv. for repairs at times...

Good Playing!!! John (ellll)
GargoyleStudio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellll - Thanks! I used your original thread to find out what I should do when I first decided to replace my backlight!

I looked at microstru but decided to order from GlowSafe (a UK company) because it was easier to arrange UK delivery.

BTW, they're all the same type - EL or Electro Luminescent panels. They are available in different colours i.e. white/blue/green/red (red from RS, dimmer than the others), but essentially they're all the same. Different manufacturers make them with different connection points and voltages.

In fact, for installation I think it would be easier to use the microstru version because it's got multiple contacts around the edge of the sheet so it's really easy to cut to size and connect the wires.

Mike.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Indeed!

Thanks for the come-back, Mike!! .... Mine is just fine, and I hope to just hold on to my O1W forever!!..(as they are now headed back up in value...!!)

AND..The color issue is also very interesting..!! I just got the"blueish" but I thought of the others (!!!)

Best Of Luck!

John..(ellll)
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this thread continues as a good resource for us old O1W lovers... and others.... Very Happy

John
korgbacklights

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Backlighrts for Korg 01/W and other synths Reply with quote

Hello,

If anyone is still looking for a backlight there are various models available
at: www.synthlights.com

'luischardon' has posted his installation of the backlight in his Korg Wavestation A/D at this forum. This is the same backlight available at
synthlights.com
sharo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Korg O1W LCD Display Screen Backlight Reply with quote

Hi

"This is a replacement LCD backlight for this unit. Keep In mind this is not a complete LCD screen but just a replacement backlight."

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/koo1wsppa.html

Nice huh?

Thank you for this thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: