Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microkorg MIDI help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DESSIE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Microkorg MIDI help Reply with quote

Hey its dessie here, just brought a microkorg, pretty sweet little synth.

I'm a bit of a newbie so a few things are still a bit unclear, i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with connecting the MK to my mac via MIDI, i got a MIDI cable which has MIDI IN and OUT on one end then USB on the other.

When i connect it all up and open logic nothing happens and the MAC's AUDIO MIDI SETUP program doesn't pick it up?? does anyone know the settings to get it to function as a controller of software synths as well as being able to play the MK's sounds as MIDI info instead of a waveform?
Confused
Zandarck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% sure on this one, but MIDI to USB has been known not to work for many people, myself included. According to the manual it's because of the MK "Special" MIDI signals. Sorry but I think you've just wasted money like many of us Confused
DESSIE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, i thought that might have been the case, looks like a MIDI interface is my next purchase then!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI to USB works just fine, in general. But USB depends on drivers provided by the OEM for purposes other than it's original intended uses, in which there are built-in drivers in the operating system.

There is no such thing as a USB to MIDI "cable". That IS a USB to MIDI interface, masquarading as a cable. It still requires a USB-MIDI driver. If there's a problem with it, it's probably because of the driver, or lack of one.

Having a Mac complicates the problems further, since many of the ultracheap MIDI interfaces don't provide a USB-MIDI driver that works on the Mac.

Since MIDI doesn't transfer audio signal, only musical note and control information, it's usually a good idea to get an interface that has audio input, output, and headphone amp, besides the MIDI in/out.

I recommend the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, but there are others such as the Edirol UA-4X (which is good for guitar/bass input too).
DESSIE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
MIDI to USB works just fine, in general. But USB depends on drivers provided by the OEM for purposes other than it's original intended uses, in which there are built-in drivers in the operating system.

There is no such thing as a USB to MIDI "cable". That IS a USB to MIDI interface, masquarading as a cable. It still requires a USB-MIDI driver. If there's a problem with it, it's probably because of the driver, or lack of one.

Having a Mac complicates the problems further, since many of the ultracheap MIDI interfaces don't provide a USB-MIDI driver that works on the Mac.

Since MIDI doesn't transfer audio signal, only musical note and control information, it's usually a good idea to get an interface that has audio input, output, and headphone amp, besides the MIDI in/out.

I recommend the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, but there are others such as the Edirol UA-4X (which is good for guitar/bass input too).

Can you download the specific drivers from anywhere? I've got an MBOX Mini which doesn't have MIDI ports which sux, and i dont really wanna go buy another interface, is there any hope of the drivers being out there?
Thanks for your help mate, i appreciate it!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers depends on the manufacturer of that USB-midi interface you have. If you can't find who made it, then you're out of luck.

Here a better option for you may be to just buy a new USB-midi interface with good support, such as the Edirol UM-1EX, made by Roland.

Here's an australian review of it for you.

http://www.dansdata.com/quickshot033.htm
DESSIE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks xmlguy!
I'll look into buying one asap, cant wait to get this all set up correctly!
Thanks again for your help!
Dessie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: