Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pocket groovebox
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
11hz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, any midi sync options in the works for pspseq?
Music with Gameboys
ecb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11hz wrote:

well i found someone who implemented sync on the PSP though he said the latency was too great to be useful. i'm checking in with him to see if that's still the case. while exporting MIDI files isn't interesting to me, getting MIDI sync running would be pretty sweet. Smile

here's the post with some info:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9743
11hz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecb wrote:
11hz wrote:

well i found someone who implemented sync on the PSP though he said the latency was too great to be useful. i'm checking in with him to see if that's still the case. while exporting MIDI files isn't interesting to me, getting MIDI sync running would be pretty sweet. Smile

here's the post with some info:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9743

I saw that video when i was googling "PSP Midi".

You'd think that it would be possible for a PSP to send and or recieve midi clock and start, stop messages if the old gameboy is able to. I mean the processor is much faster on the psp than the gameoboy. I'm just asking because i don't know anything about writing applications for these consoles. But syncing the psp running pspseq to my korg esx would be awesome.

While I'm waiting for my PSP I've been reading the PSPseq manual. Half the fun of getting into a new synth or drum machine is figuring out all that can be done with it and to do that you have to know the manuals, I'm kind of a manual nerd i guess...anyway Seq manual is really well written. Good job on that.

I've been lurking the PSPseq google group, expect some .seq files from me soon.
Music with Gameboys
ecb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11hz wrote:
I saw that video when i was googling "PSP Midi".

You'd think that it would be possible for a PSP to send and or recieve midi clock and start, stop messages if the old gameboy is able to. I mean the processor is much faster on the psp than the gameoboy. I'm just asking because i don't know anything about writing applications for these consoles. But syncing the psp running pspseq to my korg esx would be awesome.

yeah i agree it seems like it should be possible to do it in a low latency fashion, though maybe there's a few layers of communication/indirection you need to go through before you can access the SIO hardware. i think accessing the hardware on the GB is a direct operation where you write one assembly instruction and the port is set immediately. things aren't quite so straightforward any more.

in general i shy away from adding features to PSPSeq that require extra hardware (like keyboard support) but the MIDI sync hardware looks pretty simple and getting it up and running would be a huge win, so if it's possible i'll probably give it a go.

11hz wrote:
While I'm waiting for my PSP I've been reading the PSPseq manual. Half the fun of getting into a new synth or drum machine is figuring out all that can be done with it and to do that you have to know the manuals, I'm kind of a manual nerd i guess...anyway Seq manual is really well written. Good job on that.

thanks - i think i'm a bit of a manual nerd myself. ;) i'm also treating this as a real project where i want to do every part as thoroughly as i can. i'm a software engineer by trade so all of this sorta reflects on me as a practicing programmer. oh, and as i'm sure you've seen PSPSeq isn't exactly the simplest music homebrew out there (nor does it have only "normal" features) so i needed to document everything as clearly as possible.

11hz wrote:
I've been lurking the PSPseq google group, expect some .seq files from me soon.

yeah some days i swear everyone is lurking on the list. :\ ah well hopefully throwing some new SEQs into the mix will wake everyone up. i'm going to be recording some new demo/tutorial videos soon; that should help get everyone up to the same level of proficiency with the mechanics of the program.
travisthered

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisthered wrote:
I have a DS but i have never used homebrew/etc.

What would i need to do to run these programs and sync to my EMX via midi?

I got lost in the page end!
plosive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisthered wrote:
travisthered wrote:
I have a DS but i have never used homebrew/etc.

What would i need to do to run these programs and sync to my EMX via midi?

I got lost in the page end!

the DS-10 doesnt send midi out to anything but other DS-10's for syncronizing..so you have to do it by ear..or at least most ppl do. you could use a audio2midi convertor to send a trigger out to start playback via some software but you'd probably experience some lag.

i've actually rigged it up on one of my hardware sequencers so that it syncs to an external trigger.. and as soon as theres any audio at all it fires off and sends midi out to my esx. it worked perfectly.. had to use a audio splitter an a lil portable mixer tho to gain the volume up enough tho that it triggered the initial clock.

this isnt something i would buy for this tho.. just gear i already have. don't find it really nessicary either.. its cake to hit 'play' on a downbeat.
alot of ppl do the same deal with the kaossilator and run it into the esx/emx's audio input and then u can additionally gate and filter, etc. the source.

oh.., almost forgot. updated my ds-10 demo vid:
http://www.vimeo.com/1484434 (made matrix synth Razz)
musikmachine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecb wrote:
musikmachine wrote:
Hi ethan! Good to hear from the dev. Those songs were actually part of the reason i got the psp. But listening to moonglider again i've got to say, nice! Shocked

I'm going to have to dig into PSPSeq s'more later with quick reference sheet on hand.

Have you got plans for more synthy stuff for the PSP? Smile

for now i'm just working on PSPSeq. version 3.00 just came out and i don't think it's nearly reached its potential in terms of user base and mindshare. at some point i imagine i'll add some new features including more generators and FX but for now i'm mostly in PR/marketing/evangalist mode. Smile

I hear ya. Smile

I've not been able to do much music on the psp as i've been lacking a decent pair of cans but i just got a pair of hd280s. First thing that hit me is the sound quality; clean, clear and punchy. This program has got a lot of potential.

Nice job. Very Happy
plosive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look ma! no power supplies!

Twisted Evil
travisthered

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plosive wrote:

[img]awesome pic[/img]

Twisted Evil

That set up is nuts.

Awesome nuts.
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plosive wrote:

hmm, yummy. How versatile are the 2 DS-10 works together?
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
plosive

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystalmsc wrote:
plosive wrote:

hmm, yummy. How versatile are the 2 DS-10 works together?

the sync function works like a charm but i actually prefer to work with them unsynced/linked and do it myself by ear for a few reasons. when in linked mode you lose access to some of your functions like preset loading/saving and the creation of new patterns from scratch, you can copy and modify though. you also lose access to some of the editing functions like for drums and song mode wont work in sync mode.

i like to have them run freely and manually sync them because on one ds i'll setup some elaborate chained out melodies, drums, etc in song mode.. and on the other i'll be doing most the realtime mixing/jamming of the basic patterns and groove for the song im performing. the bpm is steady and locked and i've never experienced any lag or lost beats so once i hit play.. its stable and they wont drop sync.
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thank you for the clear preview plosive.
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrbeats

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plosive is there anything you know of on the ds that replicates the sound of the c64?
This stuff is amazing.
I have recently been thinking to myself ''if only i could write beats on the ds or psp that would be sick''
And now wtf its all here!
I feel excited about writing music again thanks guys.
As for the korg ds 10 software, no way that is just totally amazing.
Im buying a ds.
ps. Anyone want a mint archos 404 boxed in mint condition please pm?
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something about using the DS with standard midi I/O, has anyone tried it?
http://natrium42.com/wiki/MIDI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: